Meet Jack - follow on from second greyhound thread

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So he's been home for a few days so I thought it was about time I share some pics of our gorgeous new boy....meet Jack!

Him and Daffs are getting on great so far, it's been amazing to see how much Daff's confidence around other dogs has improved since Jack has been home and it's lovely seeing Jack come out of his shell. He's not quite mastered the stairs yet, but I reckon it won't be long until he's got it sussed!

Cooling off after a long day of snoozing...
30j18hj.jpg

Those eyes!
25f3ri9.jpg

Shady

Visit site
Totally gorgeous and what a lovely colour he is, what do you call that colour FF?. It would possibly be beige argent here, which translates to silver ( as in money) beige.
I very rarely see Greyhounds, Lurchers or Whippets for sale here or rescues unless they are from abroad and when i have seen puppies for sale they have been seriously expensive.
I hope you all have many happy years together . xx

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Totally gorgeous and what a lovely colour he is, what do you call that colour FF?. It would possibly be beige argent here, which translates to silver ( as in money) beige.
I very rarely see Greyhounds, Lurchers or Whippets for sale here or rescues unless they are from abroad and when i have seen puppies for sale they have been seriously expensive.
I hope you all have many happy years together . xx

He's a blue fawn 😍 The owner of the rescue we got him from said in 30 years of greyhounds she's only met three that colour and he's the only boy so he's a bit special! At the moment he's still got his kennel coat so he's a bit more reddish, but when he blows that he'll be more of a dun colour.

We have so many greyhounds looking for homes over here, it's really sad as they're such lovely pets! xx

{97702}

Visit site
As I’ve said before :) he is totally gorgeous :) :) He is an unusual colour for a greyhound for sure, but his pedigree is the key - he is the real deal :D I’m really sorry but clearly I have missed a fundamental point FF and you are in Ireland? As you say, sadly dozens (hundreds?) of poor hounds looking for homes :( :(

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Lévrier;13819770 said:
As I’ve said before :) he is totally gorgeous :) :) He is an unusual colour for a greyhound for sure, but his pedigree is the key - he is the real deal :D I’m really sorry but clearly I have missed a fundamental point FF and you are in Ireland? As you say, sadly dozens (hundreds?) of poor hounds looking for homes :( :(

Nope just rubbish wording on my part, we're still in Surrey but have several Greyhound rescues nearby who are extremely active in working with other rescues both in Ireland and abroad so there's always a constant string of houndies looking for homes :( Have spent the evening having a nose at his parents race records...by all accounts he should have been relatively successful, but he's about as coordinated as a daddy long legs going down a plug hole bless him :D

kimberleigh

Visit site
I would be almost certain he is Isabella (aka lilac if you are into chis/frenchies etc) but I have never in my life seen or heard of a greyhound of that colour!

Do you know his pedigree by any chance?

{97702}

Visit site
Lol what a fab description! Both of my pure greyhounds are Irish and I agree, sadly there seems that there is an endless supply from Ireland :(

I really like Jack as a name & as a dog looking at his pics - enjoy & good luck :) :)

{97702}

Visit site
I would be almost certain he is Isabella (aka lilac if you are into chis/frenchies etc) but I have never in my life seen or heard of a greyhound of that colour!

Weirdly I saw a brown whippet/lurcher who was also a colour I’ve never seen before tonight as I left the livery yard - in that case I’m inclined to think ‘Lurcher’ with an influential cross for the colour, but surely this can’t be a “pure bred” greyhound with the Weimeraner influence I’d expect for the colour? Not sure how strict the Irish stud books are, no detriment intended in any way

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

Yes that's exactly the colour he is! Have PM'd you his pedigree as the link doesn't seem to be working in my post.

Last edited:

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Lévrier;13819845 said:
Weirdly I saw a brown whippet/lurcher who was also a colour I’ve never seen before tonight as I left the livery yard - in that case I’m inclined to think ‘Lurcher’ with an influential cross for the colour, but surely this can’t be a “pure bred” greyhound with the Weimeraner influence I’d expect for the colour? Not sure how strict the Irish stud books are, no detriment intended in any way

Absolutely no offence taking, I think I mentioned in my pm that we weren't wholly convinced he was
a full Greyhound but from everything I've read it appears he is. We're relatively new to greyhounds but as I understand it blue fawns are a recognised, albeit extremely rare colour.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Yes that's exactly the colour he is! Have PM'd you his pedigree as the link doesn't seem to be working in my post.

Absolutely no offence taking, I think I mentioned in my pm that we weren't wholly convinced he was
a full Greyhound but from everything I've read it appears he is. We're relatively new to greyhounds but as I understand it blue fawns are a recognised, albeit extremely rare colour.

Will check PM now! Blue fawn is a very common colour in greyhounds - have a bitch here of that colouring myself. But your boy definitely isnt a blue fawn - Isabella is the dilute of Liver (aka chocolate in a lot of breeds) and is unheard of as far as I know in purebred greys. So you may well have a rarity in your lad 😀 will get my OH to take a look at the ped as hes far better with names than I am (I just do the colour genetics side of things haha)

kimberleigh

Visit site
Lévrier;13819845 said:

They certainly dont insist on DNA testing lets put it that way!

Last edited:

kimberleigh

Visit site
Been doing some digging and apparently the Australians have done some research and liver and isabella greyhounds are in existence but at around the 1 in 2000 numbers!!

So you have a very rare lad on your hands and if he had his balls he would be worth a fortune haha!

kimberleigh

Visit site
A few pics of my blue fawn bitch as a comparison - as you can see she has a slate grey nose, rather than black. Her eyes are also lighter than in a non dilute dog, because the dilute gene affects all eumelanin (black pigment) including eye/nose/pad colouring.

So she carries 2 copies of the dilute gene "dd", which turn black pigment to blue (grey) pigment. She will be ''kk'' (non solid black) which means whatever she is on the Agouti series can be expressed (if she was "KK" or "Kk" she would be plain blue). She is "Ay" on the agouti series which means she is sable (red/fawn) with eumelanin (black) hairs...but her black is diluted to blue.

If she didnt have the 2 copies of the dilute gene she would be a plain fawn bitch!

EGehQiG.jpg

HCqY3am.jpg

FkSES6G.jpg

An Isabella dog is one which is basically a black dog, with 2 copies of the liver (chocolate) gene - "bb" - PLUS 2 copies of the dilute gene - "dd".

(Blue is the dilute of black
Isalbella is the dilute of liver)

So they are entirely different colours - and hopefully that all makes sense 🙈

Shady

Visit site
That's interesting Kimberleigh regarding Jacks colour, as a Weim owner i would have put money on there being Weim blood somewhere in Jacks past,my first one was exactly his colour and there is a look to Jacks face and eye shape/colour that is pure Weim!

edited to add that your own dogs are gorgeous too :) !!!!

kimberleigh

Visit site
That's interesting Kimberleigh regarding Jacks colour, as a Weim owner i would have put money on there being Weim blood somewhere in Jacks past,my first one was exactly his colour and there is a look to Jacks face and eye shape/colour that is pure Weim!

edited to add that your own dogs are gorgeous too :) !!!!

Thank you! Weims are actually one breed which should only ever come in the colour Isabella - though people have introduced Blue also, but that is likely through cross breeding

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Thank you! Weims are actually one breed which should only ever come in the colour Isabella - though people have introduced Blue also, but that is likely through cross breeding

Thank you for this. I saw a weim the other day that I would definitely have called blue but wasn't sure if it was possible.

Jack is gorgeous FF, we had a blue fawn whippet years ago, lovely colour.

Shady

Visit site

Yes it's an ongoing argument regarding purity, blues started with one German dog called Casar . Not seen one myself but they command a big price as pets. My new Weim is darker than the last , i think he would be classed as mouse grey in England.
I'm always fascinated by what pops up in litters of pups and kittens that looks nothing like the rest. Iv'e got a french hound and iv'e seen her pedigree and looked at her line and there is no way that she is pure unless she is a throw back to an older style.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Yes it's an ongoing argument regarding purity, blues started with one German dog called Casar . Not seen one myself but they command a big price as pets. My new Weim is darker than the last , i think he would be classed as mouse grey in England.
I'm always fascinated by what pops up in litters of pups and kittens that looks nothing like the rest. Iv'e got a french hound and iv'e seen her pedigree and looked at her line and there is no way that she is pure unless she is a throw back to an older style.

The genetic argument would be that black + dilution = blue
black + liver + dilution = isabella

And dogs cant just lose that liver gene all of a sudden so something must have been crossed in that didnt carry liver in order for it to become lost (but still carried dilute!)

I love it too! Colours are fascinating, have recently started to research the Great Dane colour genetics and thats a whole new world haha

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Sorry for the slow reply, work is seriously taking over my life at the moment 😖

Thanks so much Kimberleigh for all the detail. To my super uneducated eye I would have said your girl was fawn, so it's really interesting to see the make up of her colouring.

Might have to have another look through Jack's breeding to see where the liver gene comes from. It'll be interesting to see what colour he ends up once he loses his kennel coat.

He's the sweetest boy, so in honesty I wouldn't care what colour or breed he is, but it has been fascinating hearing everyone's thoughts.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Sorry for the slow reply, work is seriously taking over my life at the moment 😖

Thanks so much Kimberleigh for all the detail. To my super uneducated eye I would have said your girl was fawn, so it's really interesting to see the make up of her colouring.

Might have to have another look through Jack's breeding to see where the liver gene comes from. It'll be interesting to see what colour he ends up once he loses his kennel coat.

He's the sweetest boy, so in honesty I wouldn't care what colour or breed he is, but it has been fascinating hearing everyone's thoughts.

No worries at all! Until you see pics in the right light or her in the flesh 99% of people would think she was just plain fawn. But her nose leather gives it away immediately in real life.

My other half had a quick nosy at Jacks ped and said he cant find a single liver dog there that he knows of - so just shows how long these genes can be carried, hidden as both Jacks sire and dam would have to carry 1 copy each of the gene to pass it to him, and they'd both have to carry the dilute gene also for him to end up Isabella! You've got a one in a million there 😀