Meet Tink the naughty lurcher puppy! And give me lurcher tips!!

amy_b

Visit site
Meet Tink my naughty lurcher puppy!! She is everything I don't like in a puppy, independent, chases cats, car sick, has more of a screw you (if anything) response when you call her as opposed to the usual puppy type this is more interesting....one more minute...version
Anyway. This is her
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/event3r_amy/image_zpsc0fef848.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/event3r_amy/image_zpsbfa3c4fc.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/event3r_amy/image_zpseca56cf0.jpg
Joking aside, my mum bred her, mum is 3/4 whippet 1/4 bedlington dad is whippet, bedlington and a splash of collie. I have been helping here and there with the puppies but took charge last Wednesday, poor pooch has found boot camp abit of a shock!! Car, horse, friends house all in one day!! Since then she is actually proving pretty good to train, iv trained lots of dogs, cats and horses but she is the trickiest...!! She sometimes comes to her name now (which I might point out she knew at 4/5 weeks old and 'forgot') she knows sit...sometimes. And has stopped spewing in the car (well, we've done three clear trips - I'm hopeful we've turned a corner...!)
She always has been really good where house training is concerned, she still living in an outside kennel at the moment with a buddy whilst it is SO hot but goes straight into the field for a wee when you let her out! Bless!

Any hardcore lurcher fans got training advice?! She is on the lead until she knows her manners apart from when we walk all of the dogs together and I have tasty treats but she's abit 'meh' about them, thinking of swapping to cat treats... ;)

Also where to get coats from. Might get them cheap now...

Clodagh

Visit site
Indeed . . . ours was incorrigible . . . it's more a question of manage and encourage . . . great fun though :).

P

Train is spot on...they train you! My lurcher is an old girl now and after years of effort I am pretty well 100% trained.

Nimble

New User
Visit site
Some of the lurcher and greyhound rescues offer suitable lurcher coats (take account of the slim body and deep chest) and the profits go back into the charity. Try the Greyhounds in Need online shop for dog coats. They do waterproof and warmer non-waterproof fleecy versions. Seen quite a few smaller lurchers in Equifleece numbers over the years. However, my greyhound x doberman won't let me put anything on him that has sleeves!

Janee

Visit site
Good luck, you need it. We have 2 Beddlington Whippet 1/2 of each, we got them at 8 weeks, same litter, and naughty puts it mildly for their behaviour for at least the first 2 years of their lives, mischievous for the next 5 years, but now they are "mature" they are great, but we still can't trust them off lead if something is running around. A tip, just enjoy but be consistent and eventually they get it!

paisley

Visit site
Lurcher training is really very simple: Accept you are more boring than a rabbit and less useful than a comfy sofa/warm fire ;)

I've yet to find treats deemed worthy of instant recall (and this from someone who went out with raw liver scraps!), but other stuff like running in the opposite direction so he chases me, hiding at various points on the walk so its a game to find me, and recall but sending him away again so its not straight on the lead. General stuff that gets you 'care in the community' stares

I also found that teaching 'wait' was very useful- easier to catch you lurcher first than get 'em back after they've legged it!

Adopter

Visit site
Most of my family have lurchers, except me, and they seem to be very good natured and accepting to traing. They do make very loveable house dogs, but need careful handling outside, if you are out and they see a hare , rabbit, sheep etc that moves they do become very deaf.

Sisters lurched killed a fox in her garden last weekend, and regularly dispatches squirrels in the garden. You also need to watch them with cats, none have ever been able to resist trying to get my cats so when family come round with their dogs the cats make a hasty exit.

Enjoy your puppy, am sure you will have lots of fun.

Clodagh

Visit site
Seriously they are the most fantastic dogs, affectionate and easy in the house. I have never spent much time trying to train mine, but she isn't at all food orientated, if I was trying to train her I should think games would be better rewards. I love her dearly and she is my ideal type of dog.

amy_b

Visit site
Well, I can safely say you are aaaalllll wrong!!
Ok, not quite. But she is being SUCH a good girl!! She is housetrained, knows sit, she comes to call when something more interesting isn't happening...but mostly does come.
Oh, and if she is out of sight, we have a big field out at the back of the house and disappeared yesterday on my mums watch, we were calling and calling - no sign. Panic set in, then I catch sight of her, maybe 100 meters away snuffling in the grass OBLIVIOUS!!!! 😱She just doesn't get the urgency about these things...!! 😉
She had her first big girl trip to Gatcombe, forgot aaaalll of her lead training (we'l let her off this once) and made LOTS of new friends!
She no longer chases cats, her and my cat are best buddies my other cat dishes out the punishment, but better she learns the easy way than gets squashed chasing one across the road!!
All in all, she is being exceptionally well behaved for the breeds reputation! Oh and although she isn't talented at fetch (more of a grab and run kinda gal) she is slowly understanding the concept..!!!
So you could say she has lowered my standards and is training me very well!!!!