Meeting cycling clubs out hacking

oldie48

Visit site
Oh, so if a child had run in front of the first cyclists, they wouldn't have been able to stop or slow down safely. this is really worrying as i think you are probably saying that 30+ cyclists riding at speed on a public road are unsafe!
If the ones at the front braked when you asked them too, someone behind would not realise and you would have a massive pile up.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Sorry but I have had worse experiences with hunts on the roads than I have cyclists

As a regular hunter I agree - we are very road conscious and I like to think we aren't "one of the bad ones" but it is only a recent thing that hunts have become so much more aware of behaviour on the roads and I would like to think we are making a big effort to reverse the way people view us.

I still take the view that if you're on the road with horses you have to be prepared for all kinds of road users. Yes, some cyclists, especially sportives can be absolutely mindless and they won't slow down, but equally there are a lot of considerate groups. We have a couple past the end of the drive and they do now post us a date list, as well as the local livery yards.

There will always be other road users who don't act in a way which is particularly sensible when it comes to horses, either because they don't know any better, or they don't have any patience for us. Personally, I don't ride on the roads very often anymore because I'm just not willing to put my horses in that position.

Burnttoast

Visit site
Oh, so if a child had run in front of the first cyclists, they wouldn't have been able to stop or slow down safely. this is really worrying as i think you are probably saying that 30+ cyclists riding at speed on a public road are unsafe!

When you put it like that it sounds incredibly unsafe. I cycle for fitness, so it doesn't matter to me if I have to stop for horses or any other road user, but the element of competition or even just 'training' does seem to make the red mist descend. I do find it slightly odd that any sport can hold competitions on open public roads - they're rights of way, not sporting arenas. It might be a bit of a blow financially for the cyclists, but I would prefer to see large-scale cycle events, competitive or not, paying to use suitable facilities (as most other sports must do) - that would get them off the roads, which would be safer for everyone.

3OldPonies

Visit site
If the ones at the front braked when you asked them too, someone behind would not realise and you would have a massive pile up.

In that case it's about time they all adopted brake lights! And while we're about it indicators - it's a pretty rare thing these days to see a cyclist indicate when they are turning - it usually tends to be be single cyclists who are going about they business - very, very rare - at least round here anyway to see a lycra loony as we call them using any hand signal other than one finger.

Pebble101

Visit site

It might teach them to ride more sensibly! My BIL punctured his lungs coming off his bike in a road race because he hit the bike in front.

wingedhorse99

Visit site

The ones I meet in large groups in Surrey, on my horse, tend to spot us and shout HORSE! And all slow down. The cry is echoed backwards through the pack of riders.

I pull over to let all past, if there is an appropriate place.

oldie48

Visit site
Hi, That's great. I am in communication with 2 of the cycle groups in my area in an attempt to a) ensure there is proper info about events and b) to try to make them more aware of sensible behaviour if they do meet horses on the road. I've also seen this (BHS) and also checked the Highway code. any road user should comply with a request from a horse rider to slow down or stop and that includes cycle events unless the road has been closed, which in pretty much all cases isn't the case. Really i think the event i met should have had a car in front of the first riders and one behind the last rider, if this had been the situation I could have got off the road before the first group came through. I don't want to spoil other people's fun but I do want to keep myself and other riders safe.
The ones I meet in large groups in Surrey, on my horse, tend to spot us and shout HORSE! And all slow down. The cry is echoed backwards through the pack of riders.

I pull over to let all past, if there is an appropriate place.

Annagain

Visit site
I must say the club(s) in our area is/are great. There are 2 events in our area every year (I don't know if it's 2 events from 1 club or two clubs running one event each) but we always get warning signs about a week/10 days in advance and when we do see them they're always in smallish groups (about 15-20 riders) with a marshall / pace maker in front who will slow the others down if necessary.

Whether that has come about as the result of a problem or whether they're just considerate I don't know but it works.

gmw

Visit site
A Sunday morning visiting a friend I was driving our old pickup (pretty wide and long vehicle) on one of our very narrow roads, with very high hawthorn/bramble hedges. Met a group of cyclists going hell for leather down hill with a blind bend at the bottom. I was at the bottom of the hill and pulled over for them to pass else they would have become enmeshed in my radiator grill. About a dozen of them went past I continued on my journey only to be met by a straggler completely out of control. I slammed on the brakes and he whizzed past.... on the passenger side rearranging afore mentioned bramble and hawthorn hedge. He was very old and he did scream a lot but carried on cycling. I was only grateful I was not in my horsebox!!!!!!!!

case895

Visit site
In that case it's about time they all adopted brake lights! And while we're about it indicators - it's a pretty rare thing these days to see a cyclist indicate when they are turning - it usually tends to be be single cyclists who are going about they business - very, very rare - at least round here anyway to see a lycra loony as we call them using any hand signal other than one finger.

Bikes do not have electrics and you quickly learn when riding in a pack to keep off the brakes as people braking causes pile ups.

If a large group set off strung out they inevitably bunch together as when you slipstream you save 20-25% of energy. So the ones at the back catch up (e.g. because the front ones get delayed at lights) and they all then stick together.

When I have cycled in groups we have tried to break apart but keep coming together again.

case895

Visit site

They would go around if it was last minute, in the same way that a car might. Remember that brakes on bikes are not massively effective, especially in the wet.

As to being "safe", it depends what you mean by safe. For absolute safety nobody would ever do anything, least of all ride horses!

blitznbobs

Visit site
If you can't stop if the vehicle In Front of you stops then you are out of control, too close and are riding without due care and attention. It's a public highway and the highway code applies surely??

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Bikes do not have electrics and you quickly learn when riding in a pack to keep off the brakes as people braking causes pile ups.
Tbh, if there is a mass pile up of cyclists because the peleton is going too fast to react to the front riders being forced to brake sharply, then tough t1tty.

They should ride more slowly or with greater distance between each rider.

oldie48

Visit site
Gosh, for some reason I feel even more concerned! Rubbish brakes, can't stop in the wet and loads of them all speeding towards me on a narrow lane, no wonder the horse was anxious, he clearly knew more than me. Makes riding seem very safe in comparison.
They would go around if it was last minute, in the same way that a car might. Remember that brakes on bikes are not massively effective, especially in the wet.

As to being "safe", it depends what you mean by safe. For absolute safety nobody would ever do anything, least of all ride horses!

amandaco2

Visit site
Competition or not, they should approach and pass hazards as safely as possible. Some of the posters have a serious problem with very dangerous sounding groups of cyclists....has anyone tried to find the club or group they are part of? Asked police for advice? Other than avoiding peak times, not sure what else is practical?
its a shame as the cyclists around here are all good about passing horses.

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
Cycling peeps, is there any regulations what kind of light can be put on bike?
There is a... nice person... around our area riding his bike with a front lamp that probably equals full beam and moreover, its bloody blinking. Second time I met him on the road and was ready to shove that light up to the place that normally has no shine...

Pebble101

Visit site

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Cycling peeps, is there any regulations what kind of light can be put on bike?
There is a... nice person... around our area riding his bike with a front lamp that probably equals full beam and moreover, its bloody blinking. Second time I met him on the road and was ready to shove that light up to the place that normally has no shine...

But I bet you saw him coming and were able to slow down in plenty of time, weren't you?! I think all bikes ridden at night should have those lights on, they are fantastic.
It seems if cyclists don't wear hi-viz or lights they are criticised, and if they do, they are also criticised. Can't win.

Blurr

Visit site

Looking where you're going, reading the road ahead, and being prepared to stop, doesn't apply to cyclists, then? I thought that was pretty basic stuff for any road user.

Still, they do give us a laugh at the local café, all that lycra doesn't look well on a 50+ bloke with Max Wall legs and a large paunch and ... well, it's just not polite is it? It can put you off your lunch.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Looking where you're going, reading the road ahead, and being prepared to stop, doesn't apply to cyclists, then? I thought that was pretty basic stuff for any road user.

Still, they do give us a laugh at the local café, all that lycra doesn't look well on a 50+ bloke with Max Wall legs and a large paunch and ... well, it's just not polite is it? It can put you off your lunch.

We call them MAMILs (Middle-Aged Men in Lycra) :D...not a flattering look. It is extra amusing at the moment, because it seems the entirety of the local cycling population have invested in yellow clothing..not hiviz yellow, the "I'm the next winner if the tour de france" yellow. :D

I'd love to know what they'd do if they met our combine harvester (an dvarious other farm machinery) if they were in a race but couldn't possibly slow down or go in single file.

Where they certainly dn't have right to go is our farm track even if they "think it would be a brilliant cycle route" down our drive, through our yard and across private land. Yes this did happen last summer , about 50 odd cyclists on a "cross country sportive"..they even had the cheek to argue with Dad when he told them to find another route.

I know this doesn't apply to every cyclist...but I'm yet to meet a considerate group of cyclists and the individuals aren't brilliant either.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Bikes do not have electrics

So how come I see people on bikes with flashing lights front and back each evening when I drive home from work? Hmm, could they be using batteries or dynamos to power lights. Presumably with a little thought the same could be applied to 'racing' bikes? After all we are in the 21st Century, it's not like they have to carry a candle!

Sorry that argument doesn't add up. Nor does the fact that apparently the groups are cycling in a fashion that could be deemed dangerous and irresponsible.

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
But I bet you saw him coming and were able to slow down in plenty of time, weren't you?! I think all bikes ridden at night should have those lights on, they are fantastic.
It seems if cyclists don't wear hi-viz or lights they are criticised, and if they do, they are also criticised. Can't win.

Im slowing down well in advance for a dog walker in dark clothing, with 3 dogs and a tiny torch... That lamp is plain nasty. Last time the chap (I only presume its male) was in a group where rest of them had "normal" lights giving plenty of warning of them coming and without blinding you for 30sec if not more.

PS. I am pssed off at one particular person and not "cyclists".

Blurr

Visit site
We have them fixing bicycles on the middle of the private road that leads to our field. And then get upset when they're asked to move out of the way. They could just as easily upturn the bike at the side of the road, there was no need to be in the middle.

You get the occasional nice one but the vast majority are ignorant.

As horse riders, we're usually of one mind that we should be polite and don't like to see evidence of bad horsemanship (no hi viz, no hats, no manners) as it gives us all a bad name. We like to duck in to gateways to let other road users past and we like to say thank you and deplore anyone who doesn't.

But when I meet cyclists I wonder why I go to so much trouble when I'm riding my horse, as clearly it's not necessary. My experience is that cyclists don't pull over, don't say thank you, are quite happy to hold you up for miles on end on country lanes rather than let you overtake etc. Why do I take so much care to be seen to be polite and accommodating when I'm riding my horse? I'm no more obliged to than cyclists are. And I'm willing to bet anything that a cyclist, driving his car on a country lane, will fully expect me to put my horse in a gateway to allow him past and will also expect me to say thank you for slowing down and letting me do that for you and sorry to have held you up.

littleshetland

Visit site
We have them fixing bicycles on the middle of the private road that leads to our field. And then get upset when they're asked to move out of the way. They could just as easily upturn the bike at the side of the road, there was no need to be in the middle.

You get the occasional nice one but the vast majority are ignorant.

As horse riders, we're usually of one mind that we should be polite and don't like to see evidence of bad horsemanship (no hi viz, no hats, no manners) as it gives us all a bad name. We like to duck in to gateways to let other road users past and we like to say thank you and deplore anyone who doesn't.

But when I meet cyclists I wonder why I go to so much trouble when I'm riding my horse, as clearly it's not necessary. My experience is that cyclists don't pull over, don't say thank you, are quite happy to hold you up for miles on end on country lanes rather than let you overtake etc. Why do I take so much care to be seen to be polite and accommodating when I'm riding my horse? I'm no more obliged to than cyclists are. And I'm willing to bet anything that a cyclist, driving his car on a country lane, will fully expect me to put my horse in a gateway to allow him past and will also expect me to say thank you for slowing down and letting me do that for you and sorry to have held you up.

^
this...in spades.

Merrymoles

Visit site

We are in a very busy cycling area and I have to say, I do feel like this at times too. If we behaved on our horses the way that some cyclists behave, I would be ashamed. It won't stop me getting out of the way and saying thank you but I know exactly what you mean!

Our house is on a time trial route and I am seen by the cyclists as a complete PITA when I need to go out for any reason. I am generally happy to wait for a gap in the "traffic" ;) However, it is well sign-posted and well marshalled and, apart from at the start when they are all over the road, seems generally well managed. Our yard, four miles away, is on a race route but, again, this seems well organised, with warning signs a week before so we can avoid hacking when they are due, which to be fair is probably only two evenings and two weekends every year.

My only real problem is with the packs of "training" cyclists who are not prepared to slow down at all. My horse is nervous of bikes but generally manageable but last summer a pack whizzing up close behind us had him cantering up the road and we nearly ended up in the eight-foot deep dyke. He is great with one or two but 30 or 40 is a challenge and I haven't yet found enough friends with bikes to try desensitising him!

oldie48

Visit site
Talking to a friend last night she told me of an incident with a child riding a 13.2 pony who met some sort of mass cycle event. the pony panicked, whipped round and bolted for home with the cyclists in pursuit shouting "Gee up" "Ride that pony" and other unhelpful comments. the mother, who was riding a bike with the child was outraged. The pony is an older safe pc type generally pretty much 100% o the road. Clearly there's a need for better communication between horse riders and cyclists and certainly some cyclists have no understanding of horses. I wonder if there's room for local riding clubs to meet with cycling clubs. something I'm intending to explore.