Meeting other dogs on a walk. advice needed please!

bertin12

Visit site
So we've had our new dog for a couple days now and she seems to be settling in well apart from being off her food.

I am after some advice though. I was told by her previous owner that she was good with dogs but was very in their face and excitable when she saw them. When she sees dogs approaching she gets very excited and starts leaping and jumping about wanting to say hello but isn't actually that confident when they come up to her. This morning on our walk we met multiple dogs and the big ones we came accross (golden retrievers/ labradoodles) she was very wary and tried to run away (on a long lead) and we had a cocker charge up behind us which she didn't like either. If they were calm she would be happy to say a polite hello.

We will be going to training classes when I find a suitable one, but If anyone has any advice on how best to deal with these sorts of situations in the meantime that would be great!

galaxy

Visit site
Is she on a lead? My boy is not very comfortable meeting some dogs on a lead, but totally fine off.

Have you got some friends with nice natured fairly calm and friendly dogs that you could go for walk with?

bertin12

Visit site
Is she on a lead? My boy is not very comfortable meeting some dogs on a lead, but totally fine off.

Have you got some friends with nice natured fairly calm and friendly dogs that you could go for walk with?

Yes she's on a lead as we only got her a few days ago and hasn't had much training prior! It's like she just doesn't know what to do, she wants to play but gets worried then gets herself in a state and starts spinning and backing up. She nearly slipped her harness this morning so I'm on the hunt for a new one!

Possum

Visit site
I would start by making sure that you control your dog's interactions. Other peoples letting their dogs charge up to yours when she is on the lead is completely out of order, and the owners need to be told that this isn't acceptable. If you start letting her interact with calm and friendly dogs she should gain confidence, if you let boisterous or dominant dogs scare her now (and I know it isn't always that straightforward, but she is relying on you to keep them out of her space so don't be afraid to take a firm line with the owners if necessary!) it could increase her nerves and anxiety and at worst result in fear aggression.
Re the barking on the lead - I'd just ignore this at such an early stage - when you do lead training, work on recall and general obedience as well as exposure to the environment it should settle down, don't make an 'issue' out of it now. I know it's terribly embarrassing to be the owner on the end of the loony dog's lead when everyone else seems to have dogs that walk quietly, but you'll soon get over it :p.

galaxy

Visit site
Yes she's on a lead as we only got her a few days ago and hasn't had much training prior! It's like she just doesn't know what to do, she wants to play but gets worried then gets herself in a state and starts spinning and backing up. She nearly slipped her harness this morning so I'm on the hunt for a new one!

It's hard, but try and walk in quiet areas where you won't meet dogs off lead, people should not let their dogs approach yours and if they do call very firmly to get them to retrieve their dog as yours is nervous. Them letting their dog approach is not fair on your dog.

Don't worry, your dog may be totally fine with other dogs when off lead. But the re bad encounters she has now may lead to her becoming more fearful.

Have you got any friends with friendly calm dogs and a large enclosed garden? Maybe go for a play date? Or go for a lead walk with a friendly dog.

SpringArising

Visit site
It's hard, but try and walk in quiet areas where you won't meet dogs off lead, people should not let their dogs approach yours and if they do call very firmly to get them to retrieve their dog as yours is nervous.

The thing is, if you do this, the dog is never going to get used to it. Surround them with what they are fearful of, without letting anything bad happen to them, and over time, they will mellow out.

It's fine saying 'just try to avoid what they're scared of' etc. but that's not really going to solve the problem.

Mine is nervous of other dogs - on and off the lead, but more so when on the lead (obviously because she feels restricted). If another dog comes up to her and she flaps, I just totally ignore her unwanted behaviour and pull her to catch up with me if necessary. I don't even acknowledge that there is another dog. It defuses the situation and gives the signal to my dog that I don't care, and so, in theory, she shouldn't either. It does work, it just takes time.

galaxy

Visit site
The thing is, if you do this, the dog is never going to get used to it. Surround them with what they are fearful of, without letting anything bad happen to them, and over time, they will mellow out.

It's fine saying 'just try to avoid what they're scared of' etc. but that's not really going to solve the problem.

Mine is nervous of other dogs - on and off the lead, but more so when on the lead (obviously because she feels restricted). If another dog comes up to her and she flaps, I just totally ignore her unwanted behaviour and pull her to catch up with me if necessary. I don't even acknowledge that there is another dog. It defuses the situation and gives the signal to my dog that I don't care, and so, in theory, she shouldn't either. It does work, it just takes time.

I meant while she was still on a lead. There is no need to compound her fear if this is only going to be a short term thing, you could be making it so much worse. When her training is good enough and you have a recall, and hopefully have had some positive meetings with dogs you are sure a friendly and polite, then walk where ever and hopefully you won't have a problem.

I don't think an on lead dog should have to put up with rude off lead dogs bouncing up to it. Yes if it happens, ignore and carry on. But why purposefully put your dog in that situation?

My dog is scared of bikes. I wouldnt put him in a situation where they are everywhere. When we do meet one, which we do all the time. I distract him and reward him for no reacting (he barks at them). Doing this has made him ignore ones that approach from a distance, although he still reacts if they appear out of nowhere at the moment.

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
It is early days, she is in a new home and with new people, she wont trust you to be in control of situations just yet, go and watch some dog training classes to get a feel for their methods. do you know anyone who has a dog that is calm and quiet round others? if you do arrange to walk with this dog, then build up to walking with a few different dogs (all on lead) till they have got to the point of ignoring each other and being relaxed in each others company then start letting them off-remember baby steps and dont over face her. don't use a long lead in company especially not an extendy lead they are a recipie for disaster.

when you know her better and trust her response and recall she will be more relaxed and confident too

SpringArising

Visit site
There is no need to compound her fear if this is only going to be a short term thing. I don't think an on lead dog should have to put up with rude off lead dogs bouncing up to it. Yes if it happens, ignore and carry on. But why purposefully put your dog in that situation?

It's not a short-term thing though? The dog won't just snap out of the behaviour suddenly.

I don't think a dog going over for a sniff or to play is rude. Bad training if the owner can't call it back, but that's not the dog's fault. The only thing I don't like is when other people's dogs jump up at me, because I do find that rude and bad behaviour (but again, that's the owner's fault).

I think that the only way to get used to something is to expose yourself to it - same for animals as well. If I know my horse spooks at wheelie bins, then I'll find and ride past all the wheelie bins I can! Just seems like the easiest and most logical thing to do to me, as opposed to spending your life trying to avoid whatever might cause fuss.

galaxy

Visit site
I'd imagine the dog being on a lead not off a lead is short term. That's why I wouldn't make a big deal of this. If however it is found off the lead the dog is still not comfortable then that's another matter. I don't personally agree with the 'flooding' method with dogs. If you're talking horses, which are very different to train (....!) I would make sure my horse was ok with one bin at home in the school before going out on bin day! Just as if my horse didn't like fillers is practise at home before going to a competition.

I am not telling her to avoid all dogs forever more. I think I've made that quite clear, not sure why you are interpreting it as that. I am advising that she breaks into down into manageable steps for the dog who has only been with her a few days. I like my training to be positive for my dog. Not uncomfortable and fearful, and my dog is a naturally fearful dog.

We'll have to disagree about the fact that allowing off lead dogs to approach on lead dogs is 'rude'. Universally it is considered that it is. If you see a dog on a lead, you put yours on one.

Last edited:

bertin12

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice!

I am hoping she will be able to go off lead eventually but i understand this takes time. She goes off the lead in our field at work and her recall is very hit and miss- her attention span isn't great at the mo!

I'm lucky in the sense that the woods by our house where we walk are massive so it's not often you see another dog, just annoying I met so many in the space of 5 mins this morning! I've got a friend with a 6 month jrt but she's probably not what my dog needs right now!

I do have a few friends with dogs that would rather ignore every dog so that's probably my best bet!

I will keep you posted, and thank you for the advice!

Last edited:

CAYLA

Visit site
I would firstly suggest if she is so nervy get her on a secure lead (as most harnesses are useless) for this and she sounds like a prime candidate to panick and do a runner if you come across a really pushy dog with a really dim owner, and once a nervous dog runs you are in trouble and especially if the persistent pestering dogs gives chase, so on that note I agree with not putting her in these situations until as suggested she has bonded with you and has gained a little more confidence meeting some well behaved (not pushy dogs) with some not so idiotic owners. How would I do this if I where you? if you see some idiot out with what looks like a wild dog then remain calm don't grapple with her lead and keep a fast pace and walk on to create as much distance between you and the dog, if you stand still and brace yourself and force her to (stand still with you) she is then effectively trapped!! and then a huge commotion takes place which is more negative and traumatic for her and hard for you to keep a confident composure whilst handling her.
So march forward at a descent pace and interact only with your dog (ignore the other) as hard as it is.
More importantly if she is treat or toy orientated then work with this in the garden or when there are no distractions and introduce some commands (watch me) as a positive association for focusing on you and try and perfect her heel work so you can keep her controlled, you may then use the training techniques when coming across unruly dogs. I agree with flooding in some circumstances and use it myself (but not in this situation) and not whilst a dog is restrained on a lead. It's one thing passing dogs but another have them bounding all over her whilst she is wriggling around on a lead, she needs to have alot more doggy interactions before she gets to that stage.

bertin12

Visit site
I would firstly suggest if she is so nervy get her on a secure lead (as most harnesses are useless) for this and she sounds like a prime candidate to panick and do a runner if you come across a really pushy dog with a really dim owner, and once a nervous dog runs you are in trouble and especially if the persistent pestering dogs gives chase, so on that note I agree with not putting her in these situations until as suggested she has bonded with you and has gained a little more confidence meeting some well behaved (not pushy dogs) with some not so idiotic owners. How would I do this if I where you? if you see some idiot out with what looks like a wild dog then remain calm don't grapple with her lead and keep a fast pace and walk on to create as much distance between you and the dog, if you stand still and brace yourself and force her to (stand still with you) she is then effectively trapped!! and then a huge commotion takes place which is more negative and traumatic for her and hard for you to keep a confident composure whilst handling her.
So march forward at a descent pace and interact only with your dog (ignore the other) as hard as it is.
More importantly if she is treat or toy orientated then work with this in the garden or when there are no distractions and introduce some commands (watch me) as a positive association for focusing on you and try and perfect her heel work so you can keep her controlled, you may then use the training techniques when coming across unruly dogs. I agree with flooding in some circumstances and use it myself (but not in this situation) and not whilst a dog is restrained on a lead. It's one thing passing dogs but another have them bounding all over her whilst she is wriggling around on a lead, she needs to have alot more doggy interactions before she gets to that stage.

Thank you Cayla for this! I will read and re read this im sure.

Out of interest what harnesses are actually good?! I've heard good things about the perfect fit ones?

She's so easily distracted outside and can't keep her attention on me for very long, so I will be doing lots of practicing in the garden.

One last question...!
Are training classes (as a group) a good idea or is a 1-1 better for a dog like her?

Thanks again'

CAYLA

Visit site
I personally hate all harnesses (personal choice) as they fail in a safety situation if a dog really wants to wriggle out and they don't help at all if you have a dog that pulls. I would suggest a halti lead (gentle lead) with an attachment to her collar (double safety) and also you can keep more control of her head if she is prone to flailing around. A training class with a group will be fine, this is an exact scenario where she can see lots of dogs that are busily distracted whilst being trained themselves and not bothering her or invading her space. If the class is out of control and there are dogs doing as they please with a not to proactive dog trainer then don't return lol. Some training classes have a few sessions and should fit you in to the most appropriate class.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Did you see I mentioned Julius K9 harness on your other thread? Good and secure. I have no idea how a dog could wriggle out of a harness and you really can't use a collar if you're using a longline like you said you wanted.

CAYLA

Visit site
I have seen dogs wriggle out of harnesses (honestly) it can be done as the OP must know now, one was a rather determined wire haired pointer wherever she saw squirrels and cats, she would thrash around like a wild horse and would be out of the harness in seconds.
You can always swap over to a harness when the longline goes on, not that I change over, but I dont often use long lines.

planete

Visit site
I have just bought a Ruffwear harness with two body straps. The extra strap fastens just behind the dog' s ribcage and effectively stops the dog backing out of the harness which is how they can slip out of a harness. I would not now recommend any other type of harness. It also has a sturdy handle for the handler to grab hold of near the back which means you can lightly lift the dog' s back end off the ground if he starts lunging at something. A great help for a weakling with a high energy dog!
This is an expensive harness. The alternative is to have a strong strap linking the harness to a well-fitted collar.

twiggy2

Visit site
Did you see I mentioned Julius K9 harness on your other thread? Good and secure. I have no idea how a dog could wriggle out of a harness and you really can't use a collar if you're using a longline like you said you wanted.

we recently had a clients dog in after slipping one of these harnesses and getting run over, the dog was 6yrs and had worn one all its life without slipping it till the day it did.

twiggy2

Visit site
I have just bought a Ruffwear harness with two body straps. The extra strap fastens just behind the dog' s ribcage and effectively stops the dog backing out of the harness which is how they can slip out of a harness. I would not now recommend any other type of harness. It also has a sturdy handle for the handler to grab hold of near the back which means you can lightly lift the dog' s back end off the ground if he starts lunging at something. A great help for a weakling with a high energy dog!
This is an expensive harness. The alternative is to have a strong strap linking the harness to a well-fitted collar.

a houdini harness? i have looked at these for clients they do look good but harnesses still allow lunging and spinning and the dog putting its whole body weight against you like a collar does not

bertin12

Visit site

Oh yes I forgot you mentioned that one, I'll definitely have a look, thanks!

I like that with the perfect fit harnesses you can choose different sizes for all the different parts. I'll have a look through the suggestions though :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I wouldn't use a longline without a harness, it would be awful for the dog's trachea/neck. I know toy breeds, you're recommended to only ever use a harness as they risk tracheal collapse with a collar, doesn't take much force on a very small dog to harm the area.

There was a harness we used on Zak when he was younger which tightened up if he tried to pull away, but not advisable for very young dogs.

MyOldPony

Visit site
I think it's getting worse out there whilst trying to have a nice dog walk. Why can't people just take responsibility for their dogs for goodness sake.
I would never use a harness either. I have seen dogs with horrible wounds from them under their arm pits and have seen dogs get out of them including one on a longline lead/lunge lead in the middle of a field. Im not a fan of longline/ropes/long leads or harnesses.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We use a harness at times, and a long lead. Provided the harness is robust and well fitted of course there's nothing wrong with them - especially in the op's instance. And of course you can always double clip them for extra security.

planete

Visit site
I use a harness with a long line. Like any equipment it must fit well and you check the dog regularly for any signs of rubbing. Invaluable when I get a foster who is not stock broken and has no recall as we walk on the New Forest! It makes training them possible while they can still have some fun. I have never had a dog hurt by the harnesses I have used and before I bought the Ruffwear one I had a couple of dogs back out of their harnesses but as the harness was attached to the collar the dog was still attached to me.

bertin12

Visit site
I think it's getting worse out there whilst trying to have a nice dog walk. Why can't people just take responsibility for their dogs for goodness sake.

Totally agree with this! So many people assume that because their dog is good with other dogs that everyone else's will be too.

bertin12

Visit site
I never knew harnesses could be such a diving topic!! I personally like harnesses but totally understand why some people don't. I guess its like with collars/ gentle leaders etc in the sense that if they aren't correctly fitted then things can go wrong. I too have seen dogs escape from harnesses, but I've also seen them slip collars and manage to get halti/ gentle leaders off too. For now I have ordered a Perfect Fit harness to see how we get on.

I am still searching for a training class for her, just waiting to see if anyone actually replies to my enquiries!

No doubt i will be back with more questions as its a new experience for both of us!!

Thanks for all the advice so far :)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I am always amazed by people saying that dogs shouldn't be off their leads and dogs shouldn't be allowed to greet each other. There is a very large country park near me and everyones dogs are loose, as you walk through the woods or on the beach all the dogs greet each other and quite often you could get a couple of people in the same place at the same time with 20 dogs, all loose all saying hello to each other and then walking away as the owners continue their walk. I have never come across an aggressive dog. If a dog us on a lead then everyone knows not to let their dog run over to it, just an unwritten rule. Obviously OP you need to get to know your new dog better before leaving it off the lead but in my experience dogs mix far better when they are allowed off the lead. The more anxious an owner is the more the dog will pick up on it. Classes may be a good idea to give you the confidence to control your dog in the company of others.

bertin12

Visit site
I am always amazed by people saying that dogs shouldn't be off their leads and dogs shouldn't be allowed to greet each other. There is a very large country park near me and everyones dogs are loose, as you walk through the woods or on the beach all the dogs greet each other and quite often you could get a couple of people in the same place at the same time with 20 dogs, all loose all saying hello to each other and then walking away as the owners continue their walk. I have never come across an aggressive dog. If a dog us on a lead then everyone knows not to let their dog run over to it, just an unwritten rule. Obviously OP you need to get to know your new dog better before leaving it off the lead but in my experience dogs mix far better when they are allowed off the lead. The more anxious an owner is the more the dog will pick up on it. Classes may be a good idea to give you the confidence to control your dog in the company of others.

I agree that if both the dogs are off the lead they should be allowed to say hello/ have a play etc, but when a dog is on a lead and other owners let their dog bound up to it I don't like. I always think that if a dog is on a lead, it is on a lead for a reason (nervous/ aggressive/ young) etc.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I agree that if both the dogs are off the lead they should be allowed to say hello/ have a play etc, but when a dog is on a lead and other owners let their dog bound up to it I don't like. I always think that if a dog is on a lead, it is on a lead for a reason (nervous/ aggressive/ young) etc.

Yes I agree and in all fairness where I walk it is unwritten rule that a dog on a lead is not to be approached by loose dogs and most people do stick by that rule. I mainly walk my dogs on the mountain above my house and mainly meet sheep and cows. My dogs have also learnt not to approach the working sheep dogs even though they are obviously loose. I love seeing all the dogs together and if I walk with my sisters we have five between us and they all get along great.