Any one bedded down on Megazorb?

How much is it a bag?
Does it smell?

I am changing from straw and am looking for alternatives
smile.gif

Many thanks

appylass

Visit site
I used to use it and absolutely love it. If money was no object I wouldn't ever use anything else. Regarding the money I found it expensive to put down a new bed but very cheap to maintain so it's just the original outlay.

I've used it both deep-littered and mucked out every day, both really good and it doesn't smell. Urine stays in a small patch and doesn't spread out like it can with some other bedding. The base quickly becomes very firm and doesn't move, it is easy to take the droppings off the top without taking much bedding with it.

If you do use it I'd start with as deep a bed as you can afford and don't move the base around for a good few days so that it settles properly.

I don't have anyconnection with the company BTW, just realised I sound like an advertising campaign!

Brenjack

Visit site
I use it with rubber mats so only need a "pee" pile. I love the stuff and have used it for some years now. It doesn't smell at all.
I find it cheaper than shavings. I think it's around £6 per bag whereas shaving here are about £8.
I wouldn't ever use anything else.

fairyclare

Visit site
Thanks guys!

I have gutted my straw box this morning, can't cope with the smell and the wee so have had to buy shavings this morning (£8.25!!!) There is nowhere near me that stocks it and the feed merchant that supplies the yard, that stocks megazorb, only just delivered the months supply on friday, Typical!!

cronkmooar

Visit site
Agree with all the above - I love it - been using it for six years with rubber mats. Don't think it would be so easy with a full bed though.

Tips I would give are: plastic garden rake for mucking out will ensure no small bits of poo are left in it - just gently rake over after removing piles of poo and wet patch and this also spreads the bit of bedding back evenly (i put down half a bed at the back of the stable - just enough to cover the mats)

Don't use duvet type rugs if just using a sprinkling of bedding - they can get wet and stink.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I love Megazorb, it's the best thing I've used on my really messy, wet box walker.
I've used it with a full bed over rubber matting and without mats too, I skip out and level the bed daily and muck out every 3 weeks.
I put a bag in every ten days and pay £6.20 a bag.
It does need to be left to settle for a few days initially.
It's the most absorbant bedding I've ever used, it doesn't smell and makes a nice squishy bed
laugh.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Only thing that can cope with our very piddly clydesdale mare.

I have thick rubber mats that are a no bed type, but put down 2 - 3 bags to cover half the stable about 3" deep. I then use 1 - 1 1/2 bags a week depending on how much she is in and how piddly she is.

I skip out just poo in the week and then take out the wet area at the weekend and try not to move the bed more than I need to. Occasionally I can do two weeks without taking out wet and only need 1/2 - 1 bag a week.

I pay £6.50 a sack. I would need at least 2 bales of shavings a week at £8 each. I would still use it if more expensive as it saves me so much time and back breaking work that being on shavings would need.

When I had my cob on it with no mats, I used 10 bags to start the bed, then one a week and only need to take out wet every 2 - 3 weeks as he is far cleaner and only pees in one place.

terrierliz

Visit site
I changed to Megazorb last year, saves so much time and my horse no longer smells - I have a half bed on rubber mats and use a bag a week. I am lucky and live in the same village as it is manufactured so can go and collect it at wholesale price.

I have found lately though it is very dusty, not sure if it is because of the dry weather, they have advised me to sprinkle it with the hose so will wait and see if that helps.

custard

Visit site
I like Megazorb and use it with rubber mats on the odd occasion that the weather is so bad mine have to come in. I like the fact the bags are easy to handle, re useable and it just does the job.