Megazorb

hobgoblin

Visit site
I like straw beds really but 2 of mine have to be on shavings - so for the last 2 years I've had all 4 on shavings and they are far easier to store and the quality didn't vary like straw, however they are now sooo expensive! And more so I'm so fed up with shavings stuck to everything digs, socks, they get everywhere and are stuck to everything ( and keep blocking up the washing machine)
Looked at some megazorb in the shop this morning, won't change until they come in next winter now but just wondered if anyone had any experience of it and whether or not they are cost effective? I add that I have a 30 yr old pony with cushings who can pee for England and it looked quite asorbant
I will add that I have mucking out OCD so don't like any dirty bits!!
Or maybe recommendations fir anything else ( I have full beds on rubber mats)
Thanks , hope it's not to rambling!?!

Spottyappy

Visit site
I switched to it last winter for a very messy boy! I use mats and only a thin corner is megazorb( stable is 14' x 14' so too big imho to bed all over). It is sooo much better than shavings for my lad. Its really absorbent, and I dont have anything like the mess,on the whole,as I had with him on shavings. For me,it is cost effective as I was using almost a bale of shavings a day,compared with about 2 bags of megazorb a week. However,I still use shavings with my others as they're not as messy. This week,megazorb was £10.40 a bag,which is almost a £2 increase compared with last year. I purchased shavings in bulk at £5.50 a bale,which is much more cost effective on cleaner horses,on mats with thin beds too.
The only thing I am not as keen about,is fact the megazorb tends to ball in the feet,so does require picking out in the mornings,or thrush maybe an issue.