Melanoma experiences

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I am aware that many grey horses get these so it wasn’t a complete surprise to find the vet telling me my horse has one. However it’s not one that fits my usual understanding of these. My horse has a lump half way down his neck. In the muscle. It’s firm and doesn’t bother him in the slightest. It’s a lump about 3inches by 2inches max and sticks out from his neck about 1/2 inch at the highest point. Just looks like a weird gently sloping lump of muscle. I’m used to seeing the fleshy melanoma on fleshy parts of horses so wasn’t aware they could get them in muscle like this. Vet confirmed only definite way to confirm would be scan/biopsy but no point as no treatment would be available so I’m not keen to do anything invasive. I assume that once a horse has one melanoma there is a strong likelihood there will be more? Is it possible that there will only ever be this one? Obviously I’ll monitor carefully for any other suspicious lumps. Are there different types? As in, would he be more likely to get more of this type or is a melanoma a melanoma and therefore likely he’ll get some of the more usual type appear? I’m guessing prognosis is “how long is a piece of string” but any thoughts may be helpful. He’s only 10yo and it’s pretty much thrown me. I would have asked more questions of the vet but he was there to deal with something else and running late. Vet wasn’t bothered about it at all so I didn’t feel that I could ask loads of questions at the time for something that just is. Obviously if anything else suspicious appears the vet will be out to investigate and I can ask more then. Any experiences to share? Good experiences would be most helpful as currently feeling like he’s going to have to be out down in the next couple of years so feeling sad about it.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've had greys over many, many years (and many greys :p) and a lot of them have had melanomas; I've never had one PTS over them, and they rarely caused any problems. They can do, of course, and I have seen and heard of problems that ranged from annoying to fatal. My usual advice to myself is "if it doesn't bother the horse, it doesn't bother me", so wait and see seems to be the only thing you can do.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Definitely a piece of string situation in all respects. It's a slightly odd place for a melanoma but that doesn't mean it isn't one. I once rode a horse (not a grey) that looked like it was bubble wrapped it had so many! Was happy and not in any distress with them. Was at a riding holiday so no idea what happened long term with him.

My Anglo Arab had a tiny one under her tail at about 17... had a couple more by 21. She colicked at 22 and I do strongly suspect it was an internal melanoma causing the issue. Just because of how the colic presented. But it's not like there's anything different I could have done or changed. Sadly a hazard of greys. As Cortez said most die WITH them not OF them. My current little companion pony is 24 and her bum is just a mass off the things. But they don't interfere with her pooping at all and I apply a fly repellent wound cream to them and otherwise ignore.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I've had greys over many, many years (and many greys :p) and a lot of them have had melanomas; I've never had one PTS over them, and they rarely caused any problems. They can do, of course, and I have seen and heard of problems that ranged from annoying to fatal. My usual advice to myself is "if it doesn't bother the horse, it doesn't bother me", so wait and see seems to be the only thing you can do.
Thanks Cortez, they aren’t something ive ever seen/ dealt with in any horses I’ve known. Only know of a horse who was riddled and quite elderly so was having some difficulty with food but I don’t know all the details as it was just something I heard from someone. I’ve definitely seen horses with them under their tails. Good to know it might not be curtains due to this.... I think it’s lack of direct knowledge that bothers me, and being an over thinker with access to google!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Definitely a piece of string situation in all respects. It's a slightly odd place for a melanoma but that doesn't mean it isn't one. I once rode a horse (not a grey) that looked like it was bubble wrapped it had so many! Was happy and not in any distress with them. Was at a riding holiday so no idea what happened long term with him.

My Anglo Arab had a tiny one under her tail at about 17... had a couple more by 21. She colicked at 22 and I do strongly suspect it was an internal melanoma causing the issue. Just because of how the colic presented. But it's not like there's anything different I could have done or changed. Sadly a hazard of greys. As Cortez said most die WITH them not OF them. My current little companion pony is 24 and her bum is just a mass off the things. But they don't interfere with her pooping at all and I apply a fly repellent wound cream to them and otherwise ignore.

Thanks PF. I did confuse me as it’s not where I’ve ever seen them (albeit in my limited experience) but vet prodded it, pronounced “melanoma” with a nod and carried on with what he was doing! I’m not sure how long it’s been growing for. I’ve had him 4 yrs and in the last year noticed that he had a slightly bigger muscle. Physio and horse massage lady just put it down to an injury or where he holds tension. I suppose only time will tell if he’ll develop more or if this one will start to cause issues.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I did have a lump removed from my younger grey... on her stifle area. My vet was somewhat more concerned than yours sounds that it might have been a melanoma. But I think mostly because of where it was it would have been difficult to remove if it got much bigger as that area is very mobile. Rather than that it might actually cause to many problems on it's own. Turned out to be a dermal inclusion cyst. Now she has a nice scar and a fear of needles... I tend to lean towards leaving things well alone if possible.

I've definitely gone off the idea of getting another grey a little after what happened with Granny horse (already had the younger grey when she died). But equally I wouldn't rule it out completely as she did last until 22 and it might just have been a colic colic as we didn't investigate.

Just keep an eye on the lump and monitor for rapid change I guess. They are a worry but no more a particular concern than many other aspects of horse-keeping.