Melanoma in cat - any experiences please?

Jnhuk

Visit site
As title really. Took one of my cats to the vet yesterday regarding a lump on the back of his head which we both thought was probably a cyst or possible Mast cell tumour but test shows it is a melanoma.

Going back for further investigation/treatment and probable removal next week. Am hoping it hasn't spread but will just have to see what pans out next week.

Know more about melanoma in horses than cats so just looking for experiences on here.

Jnhuk

Visit site
I know it is fairly uncommon but no-one?

Cat has had surgery and now waiting on results on the mass and two lymph nodes that were removed to see if spread. He is doing well but we had to put a collar on him last night to stop him itching the surgery site which has made him a very unhappy cat who is now in hiding behind the curtain.

Any experiences of chemo or radiotherapy in cats?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Sorry I've not come across this personally, but I wanted to wish your cat a quick recovery. I hope the test result reveals good news. :)

*vibes*

Alexart

Visit site
Not come across it either, but glad to hear your cat is recovering well!:) I have had a mammary tumour and then a whole load of other weird tumours taken out of a cat, the mammary ones were when she was about 9 and the others were when she was 14 - she had 4 different kinds including teratomas, the last lot though had spread internally to her organs, but the op gave her another year and a half of time before we pts. Personally I wouldn't go down the chemo or radio route with animals, I don't think it's right or fair unless the animal is very young, even then I'd think twice and think I would rule it out for a cat. I've seen what it does to people so there's no way I'd do that to an animal, not to mention it costs a bomb and is often only prolonging the inevitable and making the animals last bit of time very miserable and very stressful. Even if your cats results come back positive I'd enjoy the time you have left and spoil the hell of him, you'll know when it's time to call it a day, fingers crossed it's all clear though!:)

Jnhuk

Visit site
Not come across it either, but glad to hear your cat is recovering well!:) I have had a mammary tumour and then a whole load of other weird tumours taken out of a cat, the mammary ones were when she was about 9 and the others were when she was 14 - she had 4 different kinds including teratomas, the last lot though had spread internally to her organs, but the op gave her another year and a half of time before we pts. Personally I wouldn't go down the chemo or radio route with animals, I don't think it's right or fair unless the animal is very young, even then I'd think twice and think I would rule it out for a cat. I've seen what it does to people so there's no way I'd do that to an animal, not to mention it costs a bomb and is often only prolonging the inevitable and making the animals last bit of time very miserable and very stressful. Even if your cats results come back positive I'd enjoy the time you have left and spoil the hell of him, you'll know when it's time to call it a day, fingers crossed it's all clear though!:)

Thanks for this Alexart. This is what I was originally thinking that I wouldn't put him through chemo or radiotherapy and would just continue as long as he had quality of life but vets had briefly mentioned it at the outset if results came back that it is spread so was trying to gain some info in the meantime. He is 6/7 years old. A knowledge veterinary friend was saying it wasn't as bad as I was thinking and should consider it if the results show it has spread but will have to see what results say.

He is slowly coming out of his grump about the collar but still is slinking around the house not happy with it. However, the wound itself is healing very well so far. I have not liked putting on the collar with his reaction to it so have had to harden my heart as he was going to bust his stitches

Last edited:

Jnhuk

Visit site
Thought would share the good news. Oncologist reported that they are very happy that mass hasn't spread to lymph nodes and turns out it was a sarcoma and not a melanoma. Not further treatment needed other than regular reviews. Stitches out tomorrow

dotty1

Visit site
My sister had a cat who grew a large sarcoma on the back of his neck and was eventually PTS. After some research it, it seems that it can happen from the vaccination injection site, where it was.