Melanoma on manparts!!!!

noblesteed

Visit site
Oh my goodness! My 18 YO grey gelding has a few lumps under his tail and around his sheath but he has recently developed one right on the tip of his manhood! And it's growing!

I am horrified about this, is it likely that a vet can do anything about one in such a sensitive place? It's not bothering him presently but worried about it continuing to grow... Eeek!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If it's right on the end I'm pretty sure it can be safely shortened. He won't be happy about it !

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Did you miss all that, I have posted the pics a few times :D

he had a suspected squamous cell carcinoma bout 4 years ago, hence I was keen to get rid - but the vet said he didn't need that at his age unless absolutely necessary- he had several rounds of AW4 ludes cream if I have the right one, chemo cream anyway, and a nitrogen freezing protocol sent by liverpool. We were lucky as it hadn't spread, vet had recently done a partial on his older horse but was too late.

Visit site
My gelding had a partial phallectomy in 2013. He was back out and about living his normal life within 48 hours.

We had one in the yard who had his halved in length. He was lucky that the sarcoid was only holding onto skin and no deeper else they would have had to chop the whole lot off and reroute him!

noblesteed

Visit site
OMG that sounds horrific!!!! Will he really need something that serious? I was hoping they might be able to freeze it off like a mole. He's got lots of them so it's not just one isolated melanoma. Best hope it stops growing :( poor old guy!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It really depends, as I said f has a few dodgy areas that def weren't melanoma that we froze off - but it took more than one go, partly because the vet was worried about holding it on too long and causing strictures. I would see what your vet advises.

tatty_v

Visit site
It's worth asking about the melanoma vaccine first - my boy has them in his sheath and under his tail and we are trialling the vaccine. The results are a bit varied, but in some horses the melanomas stop growing/shrink/disappear entirely. I wanted to try this first before going down the surgical route as my boy's are growing very close to each other, which would make surgery more difficult. My insurers have met the cost of the vaccine so far, although I will have to pay for the boosters in due course. From the measurements we have taken, they have stopped growing since treatment. x

noblesteed

Visit site
Oh gosh. Really worried now! Insurance have excluded melanoma and sarcoids because I had a vet out once to look at the ones under his tail. When he had his annular ligament op they took his full medical history and excluded anything even mentioned by a vet :(