melanomas!! stuck over a barrel...!

oliviacharley

Visit site
Got a bit of an issue which I am hoping might know about...
my mare is currently out on loan with view to buy...people are more then happy with her and now want to buy her - she has only been with them a week...
She is a grey and does have quite a few melanomas under her tail, one has slightly weeped and on vet instruction wash out with salt water...all ok....before that I was told to just leave them be, they are fine and not an issue...
well the person has now said she wants to reduce the price as she is not too happy about them and had a horse before who had to be put down with them...! first I have heard about it...
She rang today and also mentioned there were melanomas in her mouth too...size of golf balls apparently...I do not believe they get this in their mouths but she said she had looked in her vet book and it details it...
problem I have is her husband is a vet and she wants her to be inspected...although I am only asking for 900 for her - 13.2hh grey NF mare, has competed, good in traffic, load the lot really a home is more important then money...I do feel I am kinda playing into her hands as her vet partner might say anything which means the price would have to be lowered....
what should I do...? A vet saw her last year and said there is nothing wrong...A vet saw her last month too and said again nothing really wrong so what would you do...? I am trying to get the details from my old loaning home who had the vet to her so I could ring and ask them to print the details...? Is this a good idea...I will not be the type to argue over money but im not giving my mare away...I have owned her for 15 good years and she has always had the best of the best so I know she is health and a good buy...!!

Tia

Visit site
If they were soooo worried about her melanomas....then why would they want to buy her AT ANY PRICE???
crazy.gif

If she was mine; I would take her home and this will force them to show their hand. Sorry but they are taking you for a fool and I wouldn't stand for that if I was you.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Take her back, they obviously aren't serious about buying her, although if she does have melanomas in her mouth, that would seriously affect her value. Have you gone to look at the melanomas yourself? I personally wouldn't buy her either as have they do progress and have several friends who have had to have theirs PTS, but then I wouldn't have taken her on loan with a view to buy either.

Louby

Visit site
I agree they shouldnt have took her if melanomas were a problem for them. If you do decide to sell her at a reduced price, having a vet as a husband would give me piece of mind that your pony should recieve proper care if the melanomas do begin to cause a problem though.
My friends old pony was retired due to melanomas in his mouth, he also has them at the base of his ears and under his tail.

the watcher

Visit site
There were quite a lot of replies to this in new Lounge yesterday, including a couple of links to scientific sites showing the melanomas described, which can increase in size quite rapidly, especially in the neck and throat. There were also some treatment options outlined

Charlie77

Visit site
My Mare is now 32 she has had melanoma's on the underside of her dock, since she was 7, they didn't change at all until she was around 19 when one also wepped, now they have grown huge each year my vet says they cant possibly get any bigger yet they do! He also said as long as she can poo she is ok, I did also know another pony who had them in her mouth she was ridden quit happily in a hackamore for years, My old mare is priceless to me & if I could have her all over again I would! Having said that, I would also be great full that a knowledgeable person would be willing to take her her on.. I would take on another with melanoma's, Mist has been worth her weight in gold and more!