Melanomas

Bossanova

Visit site
How quick is the onset? Horse has large (10cmx12cm approx) area on inside of hindleg. He is grey, the area isnt raised much, if at all, but it has gone the colour of his skin (grey) The hair seems to be growing there fairly normally.

Could this be melanoma forming? If so, I'm worried because it's sat right on a major blood vessel

Visit site
They are quite common in greys unfortunately although i can't sat that i know how quickly they develop. ours had them all around his backside.

sorry i can't help but don'y want to give out the wrong info.

Flame_

Visit site
New little ones keep popping up on my driving ponies. I'm not sure how long they take to form but it can't be long. I know every mark on those ponies and recently more and more keep appearing. Sorry, not really much help.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Jack had one appear very very fast but its also very small on his arm pit area of his front leg. He has two others under his tail but again, theyre a matter of milimeters. All his are raised.

The one on his arm pit is black and could best be described as like a skin tag. Its perhaps 1 milimetre at its base and about 1.5 to 2mm in its length which comes away from his skin. The ones under his tail are a couple of milimetres in diameter and again, black (although one generally always has a bit of flakey white skin on it).

The area you're describing is rather huge which would be my main concern tbh. As i said, his are all raised and to my knowledge, i thought that was how they were?

The one on jacks armpit has normal hair growth all around, its just a tiny tag of skin.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. It sounds rather large to me to be a melanoma though.

coedcae

Visit site
The area sounds too big to me for a melanoma. My grey horse has been developing them since a 4 year old and all are external, black, no hair and no bigger than a grape. She has them mostly round her anus but does have one between her back legs, above the hair line.
The only area where she has them internally, is in her paratoid area, where the throatlash goes. This is a large area, probably 15cm x 10 cm, but this has grown to this size over the last 6 years. When it first started, most people couldnt see it.

GreedyGuts

Visit site
It is quite uncommon for them to be flat, they tend to be more nodular. Your vet should be able to diagnose whether they are melanomas by sticking a needle into the area and sucking back a little, as melanomas contain a very black granular pigment which will be present in the aspirate.

Bossanova

Visit site
Thanks guys. Vet looked at it tonight and said she'd never seen anything like it before. I'm going to keep an eye and if it changes, we'll take a biopsy

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
u,- you sure its a melanoma-- and not a rug rub as in back strap to tight-- that can cuase a sore if to tight or to low on the inside of the leg

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesnt wear rug straps.