Melonoma's in dogs

Copperpot

Visit site
My 9 year old dobie had a lump come up a few weeks ago. It grew very quickly and looked nasty, bleeding etc.

Took her straight to the vets and they removed it and sent it off for a biopsy.

Today they called to say it's a malignant melonoma. It was on her front leg. They said they got moderate margins, bless her she has skinny little legs, so anything else would have been hard.

Anyone else's dog had this? I didn't ask all the questions I should have as was a bit in a daze.

Oenoke

Visit site
My boy (Border Collie) had a malignant sarcoma on his leg, I found it just before his 12th birthday, he had it removed and sent away for biopsy, they said the prognosis was fair to gaurded with the chance it could have spread to the lymphatic system. He went on to live a further 3 years, I lost him last November at 15 years 3 months.

I hope your girl is ok.

Copperpot

Visit site
I'm sorry you lost your boy 😞 but to live another 3 years was amazing. I would be over the moon with that for Tia. It's nice to hear a more positive story, as most stuff I've read on the Internet sounds very bleak.

joelb

Visit site
Malignant melanoma is as bad a diagnosis as you can get sorry. One of my boys grew one on his lip aged 6 and was given 30-90 days to live as it burst before surgery, the lab report was grim giving 90%+ chance of early migration to lungs.

Happily my vet still reminisces about my miracle dog as he was just 2 days off his 12th birthday when I lost him. Mine lived the life of riley for his 6 years on death row, freshly cooked chicken, mince and sausages every meal. Don't despair at what you read. Stay positive, spoil your lovely girl rotten and enjoy whatever time you have left together.

Copperpot

Visit site
Oh bless him. 6 years being super spoilt!! Was he a GSD? Just shy of 12 is a great age for him to have made. He certainly was a miracle boy!

My OH has been spoiling her. I've been carrying on as normal. If I start, its almost like admitting to myself she is dying.

She was my first dog as an adult. I remember the days when it was me and her against the World, before the OH and 3 other dogs turned up.

She is so full of beans and happy that it's helping me feel positive.

Thank you to you both for your stories ☺️

joelb

Visit site
Bless, it sounds like you and your girl have been through lots together, it’s so tough when they’re old or ill and you have to face they won’t be around forever.

Yup Talos was a GSD, 4th one in my footer, so he was a grand age. Besides the 2 weeks before he died when he suddenly slowed down significantly he was never sick a day or showed any pain and he was on no meds. Thankfully they can’t read lab reports so just keep bouncing for as long as they can.

Sending huge vibes that you have your girl for a long time to come.