Meltdown over ducks ....how to desensitise.

debsflo

Visit site
Hacking my just 5 yr old out today came across some ducks in the village . We went past one way but on the return they were quacking loudly and she was terrified.
Heart pounding and genuinely frightened.
Unfortunately despite being young she was the leader of the 3 horses and the other 2 horses wouldnt lead past to show her it was ok.
As despite being a village it was busy, i got off and led her past and got back on round the corner.
Luckily despite being a bit stressed she stood nicely and we carried on back to the yard still in front so i am pleased about that but would like to try and manage this for the future. Any ideas as we dont come across them every day so she can get used to them.
To add a bit of humour i struggled to get back on being a mature rider and she is a big girl but a very nice chap came out with his kitchen steps to help me get back on so i can now see the funny side ..

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Sorry but I did have a giggle at the end - I entirely sympathise.

I also sympathise with the spooking, my horse met some goats for the first time a few months ago. He nearly fell over he was so scared, but luckily we got past them without too much trouble. Pigs however, are another matter entirely.

In terms of what to do, do you have any other hacking partners that would definitely lead past? Nanny horses are invaluable when it comes to training youngsters not to overreact. If she will lead past with you on foot, I would pick a quiet time of day where there will be fewer cars, take a lunge line and keep leading her past the ducks.

hibshobby

Visit site
Well done debsflo - as a "mature rider" myself I can sympathise ! Sounds like you were well on the case and it was a very positive outcome. Not ducks, but I did have a problem with chickens. With my 5 year old, I solved it by adding chickens whenever I could. The yard manager moved her chickens (thank you !) so that they were en route to the school and once we had got used to walking in hand past those those they were let out so they were wandering about and in the school. My instructor also had chickens at her yard and had them wandering about in the school and in the yard so my horse was often tied up with them around.
I know chickens are easier to organise than ducks, but I guess familiarity should sort the problem.
So keep going as you are, pass the ducks at every opportunity and good luck !

Whoopit

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Mine had a disaster with ducks, then donkeys (still does, he just cannot get to grips with them for some reason), then geese, then goats. Just keep going as though nothing is happening. I tend to just sit there til he's had a word with himself - then after a few goes I started putting pressure on him if nothing awful has happened.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
My Appy used to live next to our hen run, so she was well used to hens, or so I thought, turns out she was fine with OUR hens but had a total melt down with hens she hadn't met before! Lives with sheep, but decided that the Herdwicks we passed were horse eating devil sheep! She once declerated so quickly from canter, becaue of haylage wrap on the path, that we parted company :D I put haylage wrap outside her stable door, she walked over it as if it wasn't there, so in her case the tame stuff is ok, it's the ones you meet in the wild that are dodgy! I just sit and then push the idiot past the wild and dangerous stuff now.

Orangehorse

Visit site
My horse will take no notice of a pheasant flying up between his legs, but ducks taking off is a different matter. I have no idea why ducks are more frightening, but he always makes a fuss.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My horse used to strongly dislike hens but ducks even more so - especially if they landed on water! Just time and firm riding got her over it.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
So, get some ducks......

i thought that... i will never forget the day out hacking on a 17.2 new horse when we met geese.. i assure you a goose yelling is far worse than a duck... i am however still alive as are you op so my advice is to sit tight , sit deep kick like hell and get the hell out of there before alien beasts meet horse..

Bojingles

Visit site
We've just accidentally acquired a couple of ducks. My yard mate jokingly asked the gamekeepers if she could have one and he thrust one at her. So there we were with a rather lonely, what turned out to be a female, duck. We then went off and purchased a male and they now live the life of riley in a spacious stable with a nesting box and two paddling pools. But I digress. Let them quack around the place for a while and the horses won't give two hoots ;)

Auslander

Visit site
Get ducks! I want some so badly!
I had a similar situation with pigs. We have lovely off road hacking here on byways, but there is a farm at the end of the first one with pigs, sheep and cattle. It took weeks of daily hacks past to persuade Alf that they weren't going to kill him, but now he pretty much ignores them.
We reckon he was nobbled before Regionals one year - he was stabled right next to a pig. He didn't sleep a wink, poor love!

Kafairia

Visit site
I want some ducks too. They are great!

You managed to get her by safely. I'd just take it one step at a time. My OTTB met sheep for the first time the other day, I assumed he'd met them before but he hadn't. I had someone on foot with me so we just calmly walked by. Had a little look and was suspicious but happy. We began trotting and obviously some were startled and dispersed. He was fine and carried on, but I was confident as he's never really given me reason not to be, he's a fairly sensible chap. We met them again and he was a star. I'd just kind of take it as it comes, I'm sure you'll be okay. Additionally someone on foot may help.

wingedhorse99

Visit site
My phone has a text message sound, that sounds just like a duck quacking. You could try playing it? I mistake it for the real ducks at the yard!

My horse is fine with geese / ducks / hens etc. But the nesting, cheeping moorhens (which are tiny) are TERRIFYING and involve 1/3 of school being too scary to go near!

SIGH

Yesterday I nearly hit the dirt, in walk owing to a mixie (Spelling) rabbit blundering in the wood pile!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oh dear! I can totally sympathise. I had no idea my horse suffered duck phobia until I moved him to a village with a huge duck population and a huge tourist population who purchase endless bags of duck food so constant crowds of noisy children and noisy ducks made our lives a little stressful to say the least!
He was 16 at the time!
He did get marginally better with gentle encouragement and perseverance.
Helped by the fact a little duck family moved into our flooded field for a while!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
My friend and my son were hacking on a farm ride, they were standing in a stream about knee deep, drinking....on a loose rein both riders just enjoying letting horses cool off a bit
When a duck and six ducklings swam round the corner, friends horse saw them.. Spooked so sharp, rider fell off into stream, not hurt but stupid horse panic that much it fell over into deeper water and was soaked head to toe!!! I was on my bike, on the footbridge ! I laughed so much I near peed my self! Horse was shaking his head for hours after to get water out of his ears... It was so funny all for a duck and babies.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Well done debsflo..getting on and off...I think if it were me I would just keep going back to the pond so horsey can keep looking at the ducks. Its a timely reminder to me that the geese will be returning to the fields near the yard shortly and the noise they make may make my hacks more interesting than Id like!