Memorise or have it called?

silv

Visit site
Learn it for sure, I just learn the pattern and have all the tests written out in diagrams on laminated sheets. Much better if you know where you are going without having to listen for a caller.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I thought you had to pretty much stick to the test sheet though and not add additional instructions
Not just no additional comments but need to stick closely to the text not paraphrase. The example I know that resulted in elimination said long diagonal at K instead of working trot K, X, M.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Not just no additional comments but need to stick closely to the text not paraphrase. The example I know that resulted in elimination said long diagonal at K instead of working trot K, X, M.
Yes, that's my understanding too- I always read exactly what was on the sheet!

MagicMelon

Visit site
If you care about your mark, then of course you should memorise it.
If it’s a “just for fun” trip out, then do whichever makes you feel the most comfortable.
Why does it effect your marks if you have it called? No points are deducted? Personally if there's a choice I always have it called. Even if I memorise the test which I do, I get so worked up about dressage (which is why I prefer to jump!) that I get sudden brain blanks. At those moments I can just listen to the called at least to get through it. It shouldnt be a memory test IMO.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
For me I always prefer to memorise it. I'm on android and have an app called dressage lite that you can type in the movements of the test ( helps me learn it too) and it plays it back to you. Find it brilliant. Can watch it over and over till it eventually sinks in

Once I have it memorised I find it easier to 'prepare' for the upcoming movements.

I've only been doing very low level dressage so tests are easier to remember though.

sugarpony

Visit site
I prefer to memorise it AND have it called, but my memory is poor at the best of times. I have lost count of the number of tests I’ve gone wrong in when not having it called. But if you have a caller it needs to be someone who knows what they’re doing, because a bad caller is worse than useless!

AandK

Visit site
I always memorise, having a caller can be risky if they are off on their timing or miss a line! I used to just memorise shapes, but that caught me out a few times so I do letters and shapes now.

Ratface

Visit site
For the very few dressage tests that I and my rather sharp Arabians have done, they have been the most basic ones and I have always had them called, usually by my instructor.
We've won some frillies in our time, but they were just bonuses as I was using the outings as travelling and show ground experiences.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I can't even remember where the letters are!

I know for a fact I'd never learn a test. Or remember a jumping course.

I realised recently that if someone spells their name for me over the phone, my brain mixes the letters up and I get very confused!

I'd really love to do a TREC comp next year but I haven't a hope of remembering where I'm supposed to be or what I'm supposed to be doing.

Sheep

Visit site
I always learn mine, I use dressagediagrams because I cannot learn from the sheets alone 🤣

I sympathise with you @Birker2020 having forgotten a test once before in a similar scenario.
I put my hand up to retire, the judge got out of her call and said NO and made me keep going 😂😂😂