Memory Lane

Laika

Visit site
So I've been getting all nostalgic this afternoon thinking about the first pony I ever rode at my old riding school called Black Jack. I used to love going down at the weekends and during the school holidays and getting to help out at the yard and getting my weekly riding lesson.

Would love to hear everyone else's memories of learning to ride - whether this is 40 years ago or 4 months ago :)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My Aunty taught me to ride mostly, and watched me get thrown off a lot.

But one of my earliest memories is of a 35+ yr old shetland who I really learnt to ride on on my Saturday, once a week lesson. The riding school had a long grass track that they used to let your parents take you up and back again, I must have only been 4 or 5, and he was old and arthritic and I used to feel so sorry for him that I would get off at the top of the lane, walk him back and then jump on just before we got to the yard. :D Think his name was Teddy if I remember right.

Fiona

Visit site
Learned in the late 70's at a scruffy riding school. Lots of pics of me in my wellies riding my favourite pony Jimmy who was bay roan..

We had pony camps in the summer and slept above the stables... Magic :)

Fiona

Batgirl

Visit site
Mine was ridiculous when I think back. About 12 years ago I was going on holiday to Scotland with a friend and she was desperate to go pony trekking while we were there so I said teach me to hang on to a horse and I'll trek no problem.

Our mutual lovely friend flung me up on her giant ex-police horse bobby, taught me the basics and left me to play every night for a month. Totally fell in love with it, a year later I bought my own ex-riding school pony :)

12 years later I am training at Medium level dressage on my gorgeous boy, my Mum has never forgiven my friend! :p

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Learnt to ride in 1960 when I was 11. We moved to the suburbs from east London . As an only child all I wanted was a dog and a pony. I can remember cantering
along the verge of the dual carriageway on a little pony called Atom. I was allowed to hack on my own. My granddaughter had some lessons at the same riding school . Between myself and daughter and granddaughter we have 5 horses and three dogs.

CMcC

Visit site
I learnt to ride at Patchetts Green in Hertfordshire. I remember one week spent in the summer holidays riding every day. Bliss for a girl from London. At the end of the week there was a jumping competition. You could ask for whichever pony you wanted. Some older girls standing behind me told me to ask for Muffin. Muffin was the ploddiest pony in the riding school - but being an obedient child I asked for Muffin. Turned out Muffin turned from plod to superstar jumping pony and I won the competition and my first rosette!

cobsarefab

Visit site
First started riding when I was three on anold pony at a very good riding school/farm. He was around 25 he had a black face with grey spectacles around his eyes. I learned to canter on a big grey pony when I was older. From then on I just had such a passion for riding. I think I always knew I'd get a horse in the end. My sisters grew out of it by about 12 but I just got to love them more and more.

Laika

Visit site
Some lovely stories :D

I used to "help out" at my riding school and thinking back, it was practically free child labour for them hahahaha! I wouldn't change it for the world though, don't think I would've quite fulfilled my horsey craving without it.

I think it's crazy how much has changed even since I started riding 20 years ago.

Amye

Visit site
I started learning to ride at about 8 at a scruffy, but lovely, family run riding school. When I was a teenager I rode a gorgeous Shire X called Leroy. I had 1 riding lesson a week at the riding school and guarantee almost every week I would be given him, this went on for years!

He was a particular horse, didn't like having his bum tapped but he could be a lazy sod so people were inclined to do it! He reacted better from a tap on the shoulder if needed. A lot of people struggled with him at the riding school, he could turn into a bit of a plod and would be difficult to canter, even people with the more experienced riders. There were a couple of people who really clicked with him though and I was one of them (hence why I got him almost every week). I struggled with him at first for a while until one day, i can't remember why, we just clicked and he responded to me. I seemed to have found the secret to getting him revved up and when he was he was amazing. I loved him to pieces and I always told my mum if they ever sold him we'd have to buy him. Not that they ever would as the riding school owner had had him since he was a youngster and he was a big star! The one thing he did love was cross country, get him in a cross country field and he flew! He had a favourite corner in one of the XC fields, it was down a hill, turn to a log jump then up a slight hill to a henhouse then across the flat up to a table and every time you starting walking down that hill he knew what was coming and when you got to the bottom you could give him the slightest squeeze and he would squeal and canter off towards the log jump (sometimes with a buck depending on how excited!). Wasn't too keen on showjumping though.

He was also so gentle, he was good with the beginners too as he was pretty unflappable and was big and comfy! He was also a great RDA horse and loved a fuss and a cuddle.

He taught me so much and he was the biggest confidence giver.

I rode lots of other nice horses when I was learning too but he was no doubt my favourite and I wish he was still here. He died a few years ago when I lived in Chester after uni, even though I hadn't been for a while, I was one of the first the RS told as they knew how much I liked him.

ETA: Ooops that turned out longer then I thought!

Laika

Visit site
I started learning to ride at about 8 at a scruffy, but lovely, family run riding school. When I was a teenager I rode a gorgeous Shire X called Leroy. I had 1 riding lesson a week at the riding school and guarantee almost every week I would be given him, this went on for years!

He was a particular horse, didn't like having his bum tapped but he could be a lazy sod so people were inclined to do it! He reacted better from a tap on the shoulder if needed. A lot of people struggled with him at the riding school, he could turn into a bit of a plod and would be difficult to canter, even people with the more experienced riders. There were a couple of people who really clicked with him though and I was one of them (hence why I got him almost every week). I struggled with him at first for a while until one day, i can't remember why, we just clicked and he responded to me. I seemed to have found the secret to getting him revved up and when he was he was amazing. I loved him to pieces and I always told my mum if they ever sold him we'd have to buy him. Not that they ever would as the riding school owner had had him since he was a youngster and he was a big star! The one thing he did love was cross country, get him in a cross country field and he flew! He had a favourite corner in one of the XC fields, it was down a hill, turn to a log jump then up a slight hill to a henhouse then across the flat up to a table and every time you starting walking down that hill he knew what was coming and when you got to the bottom you could give him the slightest squeeze and he would squeal and canter off towards the log jump (sometimes with a buck depending on how excited!). Wasn't too keen on showjumping though.

He was also so gentle, he was good with the beginners too as he was pretty unflappable and was big and comfy! He was also a great RDA horse and loved a fuss and a cuddle.

He taught me so much and he was the biggest confidence giver.

I rode lots of other nice horses when I was learning too but he was no doubt my favourite and I wish he was still here. He died a few years ago when I lived in Chester after uni, even though I hadn't been for a while, I was one of the first the RS told as they knew how much I liked him.

ETA: Ooops that turned out longer then I thought!

That's so sweet - I had a favourite too called Teddy, who unfortunately passed away a few years ago. I was heartbroken when I found out. Certain riding school horses really stick with you!!

Nettle123

Visit site
50 years since my first riding lesson after badgering my poor Mum. Started on a bay with black points cob called Gipsy, I was terrified at first as she was a big girl. It was a pretty rough and ready place but I loved it and learned loads of basic horse care. I still remember my first canter, in a group up a stony lane, no hats, proper boots etc but it was wonderful and filled me with joy. I used to spend all of Friday at school dreaming about my 11am lesson on Saturday.

There was no way we could afford a pony or even a loan. The first year we were married my Husband bought me a bridle and a couple of years later I had my little mare. I now have a few elderlies living here at home and my special girl is a bay welshy just like Gipsy so I have come full circle. Very sweet memories.

Notimetoride

Visit site
I learnt to ride (or first rode) in about 1980. We went on holiday to Marlborough in Wiltshire (we lived in the North) and rented a cottage next door to a stables owned by ex jockey Mr Halliwell. He took my brother who was 4 or 5 and myself who was about 6 or 7, across the road, hacking up to a racecourse (???). No 'lessons' as such. We just got on and rode. I think we were vaguely taught rising trot. My brother was led and rode a shetland called Andy Pandy, but I wasnt led, and I think i rode Joker. It was an entirely different world to what we now have. I think we borrowed ill fitting riding hats, but just rode in shoes. No body protectors, jod boots, no nice arena etc etc. I also remember the horses had no stables. During the day they were tethered in a large garage, and during the night they were turned out loose on the common across the road. The garage is still there as I now live in the area and regularly pass by. I have very fond memories of that place.

Amye

Visit site
That's so sweet - I had a favourite too called Teddy, who unfortunately passed away a few years ago. I was heartbroken when I found out. Certain riding school horses really stick with you!!

They definitely do.

I really liked my riding school and my mum still rides there now. They recently had to move premises as they lost their land so I had a 'last ride' there a couple of months ago. It's been passed down through the family so I still know lots of faces and they still have some of the horses and ponies I used to ride.

The new place has two indoor schools which is amazing! When I first started learning we had one outdoor and we rode whatever the weather. If it really chucked it down we'd shelter in the barn and do round the worlds or something :D

Elbie

Visit site
I had my first lesson in the 90s aged 9. I had pestered my dad for so long for riding lessons so was really excited when he'd booked one for me and my sister as a treat. Someone he used to work with had quit the rat race and started a riding school so we went there. My first lesson was on a little chestnut cob called Barney (and I think my sister's horse was Snowy). There seemed to be a mixed bunch of children and adult learners, some off and some on the lead rein. I remember one of the horses bolted off and the rider came off. I was more concerned about being showered in sand as the horse skidded by! I also remember my leader kissing the horse and telling me I had to do it and all I could think was "yuk!".

There was a bit of a gap between the first and my next lesson. Think Dad was hoping one lesson would get this riding idea out of my system! Second lesson was at Eastern Equitation in Colne Engaine (later Colne Equestrian n Wakes Colne). It was this massive impressive yard with big indoor school. My lesson was on a chestnut called Chester and I had to borrow the owners hat (which had polka dots and a big red bow on it!) as they didn't have any my size.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The guy at work and I were talking along these lines only today!
We have a little racer in for training complete with his own blanket lined jute rug :D not seen one of those in years!

pansymouse

Visit site
I learnt on a donkey with a felt pad saddle - my Mum was very determined to put me off the whole riding thing. Having failed with the donkey trick my parents acquired vicious black pony called Gypsy who steered a determined path through life biting, kicking and bucking off anything that got in her way.

On the very odd occasion I was permitted a lesson it was with Mrs Bartle, Chris Bartle's mother - he was a gangly teenager at the time.

Pippity

Visit site
My first lessons were at Bowfield Riding & Country Club in Renfrewshire, starting back in the early 1980s when I was seven. My favourites were two little greys called Bosun and Major. I came across an old photo of me on Major a few years ago and, my god, it's no surprise I'm still battling a chair seat! I'm also amazed that I managed to get on them both without a mounting block. I remember them being tiny but my legs don't even go past the saddle flaps. I must have been a lot bendier back then.

The school had pillars in the middle, with tyres around them for padding, which would probably never be allowed nowadays!

One thing they taught me that really stuck is that you always wash off the bit after riding. I get odd looks for it - especially in the middle of winter! - but I still think it's the easiest way of keeping the bit clean.

It looks like the stables have now been replaced by a spa. Probably more profitable!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I was about 11 and super excited that morning as my dad had just told me had arranged for me to go to the local riding school. Off we went and I was left stood at the bench beside the riding school while my dad and the owner went into the house for a catch up. I was introduced to another girl and she taught me to groom, put head collar on etc.
Then 11am I had a lesson so I was handed a grey pony mare about 14hh named Lulu in her mid to late teens. I was taken to the mounting block, explained how to get on and then the girl went to walk off so I panicked and called what do I do so got a quick explanation in what to do and left to follow the pony in front. The instructor came in and we proceeded to do circles and trot etc.
The next day I went back and I had another lesson but this time on a smaller grey gelding named Bramble. I was told and told not to get too close to the pony in front but we got to a corner, got too close to Hansel who kicked out and my pony cantered up the school with me hanging on until he stopped and I slid off the side. Back on I got and determined I did not get too close for the rest of the lesson.
My teenage years were spent at that riding school learning so much.

pennyturner

Visit site
Very jealous of those of you with horsey childhoods.

When I left home and went travelling I took any opportunity I could to get on a horse, with no experience to speak of. If I fell off, I got back on. Had a lovely time on a pony called 'Trafficante' (as in narco-trafficante) in Guatemala. Hired him for 3 or 4 days running, and went off into the mountains to explore. He was a cracking pony, with only one pace, a rhythmic floaty canter... we went for miles, and he never seemed to get tired. He was very good with me, considering I could barely post to a trot at the time, and he could have had me for breakfast!

rosiesowner

Visit site
I have photos!
I had a friend who liked riding, and so I wanted to have a go too. My parents got me a lesson for my birthday. I rode Red-a cheeky, tiny, chubby pony who started at the yard as a livery but was taken into the school as the owners just never came back for him (or paid!). We went for a hack. My parents must have known that it wasn't a passing phase, as I remember going to buy the breeches at a local small horsey shop.
21192678_820355091457473_3973847467957970427_n.jpg

21231743_1571723762880038_8150167347358328615_n.jpg

Size two helmet at age six, though!! People never believed me until I found those photos:cool:

Red, who ended up blind in one eye, stayed at the school until he retired to a lovely home where he gets pampered by two tiny children and just generally lives the life. While he was in the school he was always fat, always cheeky and always took off. Brilliant little pony who we all loved.

My all time favourite riding school pony had to be Trevor, though. He had his name changed from Amigo because, well, he just looked like a Trevor!! We won a good few rosettes together in jumping. In my first ever dressage test, though, he dumped me in front of the judge's car. In his later years he was nicknamed 'Seaside' as he did bear a resemblance to a donkey.:)
21728443_826227994203516_9220255631458296659_n.jpg

After a few in-between years of loaning ponies and having my first pony, then having Chilli somewhere else, I've ended up back here as a livery and an instructor. So I've come full circle, really.

The place has changed so much, as have all of the ponies, really. Apart from a couple of seriously old old faithfuls (we're talking late 20s, 30+) our horses and ponies get moved on after three or so years. We just think they also deserve to know the one on one love of a private home so that they don't go stale in the school! Though they do have a varied lifestyle with us too. When I think about it, we have some really super ponies. They're all safe as houses, but have a load of personality too.

Things have changed so much since I was a kid, we have lovely lightweight plastic poles now (you learn to love these when you're bringing ten poles in for an exercise for your lesson!), a full workers course, a good selection of portable xc fences etc.

meleeka

Visit site
It was 1982 and the girl across the road let me help with her pony. After a while she decided she no longer wanted to share her. I was obviously devastated and my mum went over to talk to her mum and find out the problem. She stormed back through the door and said "I'm not having that spoilt brat calling the shots. That's it, you're getting your own pony!" That turned out to be my soulmate and we were together for 27 years.

DTV

Visit site
I came to horses much later in life than most.I learnt to ride at the tender age of 43 (now 50 er something lol) at Ruan Minor on The Lizard.Well i say learnt,it was more learning 'on the hoof' as it were with the instructor riding beside me.Rising trot within 10 mins of sitting on a horse for the first time!.Had some nice horses there,grumpy mare Xania biting any horse's bottom if behind but a little rocket in front,Ringo(Cob) with his head in the hedge every 2 mins and Bess,a huge Shire X were my faves.Rides to Kennack Sands on the 1hr hacks,2 or 3hrs on Goonhilly Downs.I was hooked!.So inspired,in fact,2 years on ended up buying my own yard where my first horse (Chester) was waiting for me.Hard to imagine life without horses now.:)

Last edited: