Men’s jods/breeches - any recommendations please?

Visit site
The OH has just started riding, is enjoying it and has a birthday coming up so I’d like to get him some jods. I’d be very grateful if anyone has any recommendations for gear for the gents.

He doesn’t like long boots or wearing long socks/chaps so I’d prefer a jod if possible. He’s 5’7”, has a 31” waist and weighs 11st2.

I’d prefer to stay in my comfort zone of the Shires end of the market, rather than Pikeur ?

Any ideas/suggestions would be gratefully received! Thanks ?

Visit site
He tried jeans but found them quite uncomfortable (tbh I really don’t like riding in jeans either) - at the moment he’s riding in his running tights which are ok comfort-wise but don’t leave anything to the imagination in the meat & two veg department ?

@Antw23uk yep, I totally agree! I think he’s a bit self-conscious about being a beginner and doesn’t want to look like he’s all the gear and no idea. I’m hoping that once he’s into proper jods/breeches it’ll be easier to get him wearing boots - or at least chaps - as well!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
He tried jeans but found them quite uncomfortable (tbh I really don’t like riding in jeans either) - at the moment he’s riding in his running tights which are ok comfort-wise but don’t leave anything to the imagination in the meat & two veg department ?

@Antw23uk yep, I totally agree! I think he’s a bit self-conscious about being a beginner and doesn’t want to look like he’s all the gear and no idea. I’m hoping that once he’s into proper jods/breeches it’ll be easier to get him wearing boots - or at least chaps - as well!

Decathlon rubber wellington type boots would be good, then, and are quite inexpensive. I even bought my pair before I started riding. Riding boots are quite a bit narrower than normal wellies, and I found that they make driving much safer; in wide, normal wellies, I sometimes found that my foot would press on two peddles at a time.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I think he'll feel better with a decent pair of mens breeches and just a pair of boots on which he can change from to wear his riding boots. I just wear my breeches with a pair of chunky brown ankle height yard boots, i rarely wear those tall socks and then just put my riding boots on to ride. He will wonder why he didnt invest in breeches before once he wears them, they make such a difference when riding.

Jumoro

Visit site
My husband likes the Mark Todd breeches too. I also managed to get him into a pair of chunky paddock boots (that look pretty much like his work boots) and leather gaiters )he was won over by the grippiness). tbh there's not a great deal out there for men.

karenb

Visit site
Yup, Mark Todd for my husband every time because as Ponio said they're not figure hugging !! Also long lasting and well cut

Visit site
Thanks so much for all the replies and suggestions :) I’ll look at the Mark Todd as recommended - got to agree that men do seem to get a pretty poor selection in comparison with the endless selection of ladies’ tights/breeches etc.

Thanks @Keith_Beef for the Decathlon rubber boot recommendation. I’ve tried to coax Husband into paddock boots & chaps but he’s a Scot born & bred and baulked at the prices. Rubber long boots might get him weaned onto “proper” riding boots!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Thanks so much for all the replies and suggestions :) I’ll look at the Mark Todd as recommended - got to agree that men do seem to get a pretty poor selection in comparison with the endless selection of ladies’ tights/breeches etc.

Thanks @Keith_Beef for the Decathlon rubber boot recommendation. I’ve tried to coax Husband into paddock boots & chaps but he’s a Scot born & bred and baulked at the prices. Rubber long boots might get him weaned onto “proper” riding boots!

It's said that we Yorkshiremen have deep pockets but short arms... I also have three pairs of Clarke's Broyd boots that do double duty as equestrian and everyday wear.

Visit site
Equestriman are defo worth a look.
Thanks for the link ? Sadly they don’t have much stock in OH’s size -a shame as I like the look of them, particularly the denim & more subdued colours.

ETA - since Equestriman have had two recommendations, I showed the denim breeches to OH and he, the jods/breeches avoider, said “Oh yes, they look nice!”

Almost all sizes (including his) are out of stock ?

Last edited:

Visit site
It's said that we Yorkshiremen have deep pockets but short arms... I also have three pairs of Clarke's Broyd boots that do double duty as equestrian and everyday wear.
I just went to look up those boots and can’t find them new anywhere. Smart, though ? Once the jods/breeches have been accepted, the next stage of training will be accustoming him to Decathlon wellies and/or paddock boots ?

Thanks again for your recommendations.

Kat

Visit site
Decathlon are pretty good for the budget end of the market. My husband and my nephew both have quite a bit of stuff from there.

Kramer have a good selection of men's stuff too.

My husband maintains that there are no jodhs out there that are as good as his ancient Gorringe ones though.

All

Visit site
don't know if there strictly jods but cavallo are my main go to wear (i get them in the sales )

if not i started out in saddle huggers good value for money