Mental Pony!

AndiK

Visit site
I have a quick question: My horse is being mental, I go and feed and muck out then he is put back into his stable and then he is turned out with mates (or so he can see mates) when my friends get there later. He is hooning around and breaking on fences, he reared up in his stable this morning and is generally being really naughty. He is absolutely fine when I am there but really misbehaving otherwise. He is galloping at fences and trying to break them. This is really out of character. He is due to be wormed (which could be a factor) but has anyone else got any ideas????

No change to diet or anything else, he is 20 and generally behaves normally with the odd occasional temper tantrum but nothing like this before....

Could it be the spring grass coming through? I am just at my wits end!

AndiK

Visit site
He was on hisown but literally right next to his friends - we have had to split them because they are just galloping around destroying the ground. He was like this last week and was absolutely fine behaved as normal. He is actually with one of his friends this morning and still behaving like this :(

Littlelegs

Visit site
Unless you have loads of grass, it could be boredom if he's got nothing much to eat, probably same reason they were continually silly as a group. I'd try just putting a load of hay/haylage out & see if it occupies him.

w1bbler

Visit site
All the horses at our yard seem to have gone "mad" these last couple of weeks. My elderly slow, need a big stick to get a canter cob cantered off with a friends never ridden before child!
We recon its the fact that after 9 + months of solid rain they are just feeling really good?

AndiK

Visit site
Thanks - It probably is a combination of rugs (he might be a bit warm) and the new grass.... I will keep and eye on him and keep everything crossed that he calms down to his normal docile self!