Messing about when it comes to mounting

Bluebelle666

Visit site
My horse has decided that she no longer wishes to go near any mounting block or stand still when it's time to be mounted. When I do get her to stand still by the time my foot is in the stirrup she has moved and unfortunately I mainly ride on my own so would be grateful of any tips???

(Her saddle was checked 6 months ago and re-flocked, her teeth are getting done in 2 weeks) Could it be the teeth?

She has also been a near permanent field ornament for the past 6 months, could it be linked to this?

Flight

Visit site
Could you try making standing still next to the mounting block a nice thing for her. Take her too it all tacked up, make her stand and just give her a treat. Walk her away again and then repeat a few times. Next time do same again but then start standing on the mounting block to give her a treat before walking her away again. Then progress to putting foot in stirrup, take it out and give her treat etc etc. Eventually just give her the treat when you are on. As long as she stands still. After a bit of practise you can stop with the treat and just give her a good wither scratch or something else she likes. There are ways of teaching them to do it not involving food if she is likely to start mugging you for treats all the time but if she is anything like mine she will respond better to a food incentive.

Flight

Visit site
Sorry meant to say as well when you do get on try and be concious that you aren't pulling on mouth or landing heavy in saddle.

cambrica

Visit site
I watched a great demonstration at a Monty Roberts show on how to train your horse to side up to a mounting block. Noticed that it was a free sample on his online university site so might be of help to you. Watching it would be far easier than me trying to explain.

BeanyG

Visit site
Could it be the saddle if it was fitted and re-flocked 6 months ago but then she has been a field ornament for the past 6 months, could it be that she has changed shape a bit and therefore saddle needs tweeking again?
N&F

Bluebelle666

Visit site
I did wonder about that, it appears to fit correctly but i suppose you never know unless you're a pro. I'm going to wait for the dentist and try the treat route for a week or so then it will be clearing all possible routes.

Monty was very interesting but the horses he demos are calm and placid, 2 words I would not use to describe my horse. I will try a little of the technique with getting my head around the uses of each side of the rein to mount. :rolleyes:

jaijai

Visit site
If she has not been in work for the last few months could her shape have changed and although her saddle was re flocked before she was out of work now not be right? Has her back been checked? You have already booked a dental check.
Failing that I think as other posters have suggested it may be a case of investing some time and patience to sort this issue out. Good Luck.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Give her a hand full of sweet course mix or some other treat she doesn't usually have, just as you go to get on. It needs to be enough to distract her as you get on. And then another once your on. And then get off and do it again. And again.
And spend lots of time just sat on her back, giving her sweets/scratching her neck whatever just so she isn't anticipating moving off all the time.
This can also work well with horses that are fizzy as it gets them keeping half an ear out for sweeties.
Yes it is bribery. Bribery is the way to go.

noblesteed

Visit site
I have a rather impatient horse so the bribery thing didn't work - he just wanted more. I think he is just rather keen to get on with things and so thinks his rider should mount and move off in about 1 second!
I used the technique Michael Peace shows in his books. Stand the horse next to mounting block and if he moves, walk him round in tight circles. Then try again, praise for standing, walk circles if he moves. It took a while to get the message through that standing still was the easiest option. Once I am on board he gets a bit fuss made of him while he stands to let me adjust my girth etc. My horse really likes to be told he is a good boy and given a rub, much more so than treats which he believes are his god-given right anyway!!!

dollymix

Visit site
Ooh... Can someone add a link to monty's mounting video? I' m having similar issues do would be interested.

I am trialling the treat method but because my girl is greedy she knows one is coming and just follows me for the treat! Therefore when I get on the mounting block she backs up to face me looking very pleased with herself! Very frustrating!!!!

POLLDARK

Visit site
This works for me with young horses. Put the mounting block opposite a wall/fence/gate to stop them swinging out. Guide the horse between & reward. Mount the horse & give another reward IF it stands still, if it doesn't stand take it back to the position to stand still, then reward & then move off. Repeat a few times every time you ride & you will soon find that even if you acciently nudge them while mounting they will not move off as they are waiting for their reward. As soon as they get it they are willing to go.

Stamford

New User
Visit site
My horse also used to do this and it escalated to him taking off bucking before I got fully into the saddle, it was dangerous. I was taught to back him up each time he moved and not mount until he was standing still. Every little step had to be corrected (and still is, because otherwise he would just revert). It worked beautifully (the only thing that did) and now he only occasionally moves a foot (whereupon I move him back to remind him). You have to be consistant. Hope that helps.

smiffyimp

Visit site
My boy went through this as a 4yo - being a twit! face him towards a stable or wall with a wall at one side, then put mounting block at side and up you get. You have 3 out of 4 sides covered:)

flashmans

Visit site
I used the technique Michael Peace shows in his books. Stand the horse next to mounting block and if he moves, walk him round in tight circles. Then try again, praise for standing, walk circles if he moves. It took a while to get the message through that standing still was the easiest option. Once I am on board he gets a bit fuss made of him while he stands to let me adjust my girth etc. My horse really likes to be told he is a good boy and given a rub, much more so than treats which he believes are his god-given right anyway!!!

I also did/do this with my girl, she soon gets bored of the tight circles and stands still for me. She knows not to move off until I say and then she gets a big fuss :)