Metal Curry Comb

HeatherAda

Visit site
Do you ever use one on the horse itself?

I've seen people using them gently to get tough mud off the horse, but they are only supposed to be used for cleaning other brushes as far as I know. But then will they just damage the hair no matter how gently they are used?

Capriole

Visit site
i wouldnt, but i am aware that some people do (ie grooms on papafritas thin skinned horse, if i remember correctly)

im using them less and less anyway, i now tend to clean my brushes with a plastic or rubber comb

LouHardwick

Visit site
I use the spring loaded ones-that are designed for using directly on the horse.and they ARE BRILLIANT!!
cannot recommend them highly enough!!

HeatherAda

Visit site
do you mean one of these?

3388.jpg

LouHardwick

Visit site
thats the one! BEST PEICE OF KIT i have on the yard for grooming- the horses love it and gets mud off like you wouldnt believe!!

HeatherAda

Visit site
well these are what I have seen people mostly using... didn't realise they were designed to use on the horse! doh!

so it is ok then.

although I did see someone lose their temper and smack the horse on the neck with it at the weekend. not good.

pottamus

Visit site
Well my horse likes a metal curry comb used on him as a way of giving him a good scratch! He loves it and even whickers at me if I show it to him because he knows he will get a scratch! The harder you scrub the better too!

Syrah

Visit site
I only use a standard metal curry comb for cleaning brushes but the one you've posted a picture of looks as though it would be ace for getting that winter coat out when they are shedding.

Holloa

Visit site
I use some brillo pad or equivalent to get the stubborn mud off legs and sensitive bits, as i find these are a bit rough for legs around the tendons etc, whilst scourers are gentle and flexible and are good. But i do use the metal curry combs for the body and the mane if its really caked in mud, like my boys usually are!!

Fairynuff

Visit site
Been using one of those for years and wouldnt be without it..horses like it too!
Here in Italy they use a metal curry comb called a 'Napolitano', if I can find a photo will post it.It looks very hard and harsh but in effect is really pleasurable for the horse and not harsh in any way..important that its not used on limbs. I think it might be used in GB on cattle,its flat with lines of metal teeth. Brilliant dooda anyway!
smile.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I use the single metal blade one on Cairo - as hard as I can on his belly - he goes mad for it and lifts his hind leg up like a dog cocking so I can do his inner thighs.
grin.gif

I have also used the old fashioned curry comb, but the metal blade is far better according to him.

That said, Cairo is a very thick hairy thick skinned clyde so he needs something more spiky that most horses to get the itch right.

I also have used them on the TBs but very gently to get thick mud off winter coats - a round plastic scourer is preferred choice for them.

spaniel

Visit site
I use those round metal ones too....they are utterly brilliant not only for mud but are the absolute best for coat shedding as well. My horses love them.

dotty1

Visit site
I use one of these springy round ones for the body and for the bony bits like around the head and legs use an old fashioned cactus cloth, gets dried mud off really easily.

Nari

Visit site
If they're very muddy I do but only hard enough to get through the mud. I've never had any objections.

Perissa

Visit site
Even my fine coated arab (in my sig pics) loves being groomed with this gismo. I use all over him apart from bony bits. People are always asking me how I keep my horses so clean and its all down to this. It takes seconds to get mud off and then a quick flick with a dandy and hey presto.

It works just as well on my shetland girls who look like yetties right now!!