Mickey Gavin horse rider

J_sarahd

Visit site
I know a few people who have had him and some really rate him and others not so much. He is quite stern and old-fashioned (for want of a better word). One horse on my yard he worked great for and the horse is now great to get on and no longer rears.

I think it all depends on why you want him and what personality your horse has.

Carlos's Mum

Visit site
My horse is sensitive so person must not be severe with him. Most people think he's. A good sort , so do i, but out of work for long time… not his fault… so need help get him started again.

Esmae

Visit site
I recommend him. He helped me with a loading issue with a youngster. I'd use him again if I needed help. Yes he is stern and my youngster was sensitive as well but Mickey's intervention did him no harm whatsoever.

wiglet

Visit site
Several people on my yard have had him out to deal with different issues - loading, tacking up issues and standing at the mounting block to mention a few.
He is stern but fair and makes everything black and white for the horse. Horses know exactly where they stand with him, even the sensitive ones.

Of course years of experience means he can read horses perfectly and all his handling is confidently executed. The hard bit is when he leaves and it's totally up to you to continue the work. That said, he is at the end of the phone if you need advice. From what I've seen of him, I do recommend.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I've used him in the past for a variety of things.

Always been grand and always been on the side of the horse. He will be firm, but the horse is always first in his view.

I'd happily use him again and I'd recommend him.

SOS

Visit site
I used him for a horse that did not understand pressure when lead and was a bad loader. He was great and straight talking. Got the horse going well then spent the rest of the time teaching me. Was on the phone the few times after I struggled but ultimately the horse became a fairly reliable loader after this and I went from being unable to take the horse anywhere to travelling alone and loading alone in a trailer.

Not for the faint hearted with his words as he will tell you if you’re being a numpty or making it unclear to the horse.

“Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard”

PetalPower

Visit site
I used Mickey to re-back a 7 year old who was sold to me as competing and turned out to be a very sensitive soul. He did a brilliant job with her and taught me very well too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him but as mentioned above, he doesn't take prisoners when it comes to telling you how it is. I had absolutely no problems with that as he gave me and horse a far better lasting relationship.

Carlos's Mum

Visit site
Hi PetalPower, that is reassuring. I have emailed Mickey and hope to be able to do stuff with him after Christmas. Your story echoes mine a little. I have read some good things so far and if he tells it like it is I can take it from him. So many people have been quite negative but I have good friends who constantly reassure me too…