Micklem bit straps?

Rollin

Visit site
I have bought a Micklem for our Shagya mare and it fits her well. The problem is the bit straps. I cannot use my full cheek bit as the bit straps are too short and the bit is too tight. It only works with loose ring snaffles or a Pelham. The straps are on the last hole. If I lengthen the cheek straps the nose band is too low.

Anyone else have this problem. The bit straps seem VERY short.

be positive

Visit site
I use mine with the longer pair of bit straps and a small ring full cheek with no problem, although it took a bit of juggling to get right initially, I have a spare pair if you want to measure them I will see if mine are longer and you are welcome to them, otherwise they should be easy to find or get made.

AFB

Visit site
I may be wrong here but I thought you could get 2 lengths of bit strap?

If not then maybe local saddler could make you some? It wouldn't be a difficult job for them

fatpony

Visit site
I had the same problem and contacted hire a micklem bridle on Facebook and they sold me some spare longer straps for about £10

Rollin

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. We were jumping yesterday and the new rider thinks Antigone jumps better in the Micklem - although she had 8 faults - very rare for her. Today we spectated at HDT in Saumur, hence my late reply. I spoke to two saddlers, no bit straps, so will order some from the UK.

i do object to paying so much for a bridle and finding I have to buy new bit straps. The Cliff Barnsby bridle I was using, has a padded head piece, and nose band, no separate head piece for the nose band, did not need oiling as the leather was so soft. Cost £90 including the reins - some years ago mind you!!

Thank you once again for all your help.

Stenners

Visit site
I had exactly the same problem! I had to use standard horse bridle bit straps for a full cheek. I'm now in a loose ring and the normal ones fit fine.

ann-jen

Visit site
I had exactly the same problem with mine.... micklem sent me longer straps but even then I couldn't get it to fit properly with the full cheek (plus I like to use keepers on the full cheek. It fits perfectly with an egbutt.