Micklem Bridle - experiences?

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
So, I am not one for "gadgets" as such, and keep things simple when it comes to tack etc., but a lot of my friends have got one of these bridles, and I am quite intrigued.

I watched a video about them, and understand what and how they are better for the horse, and a lot of it makes sense. I have found a site where you can try before you buy, so am thinking about trying Toby in one of these, since they are competition legal (except for showing!).

He had the dentist the other day, because he had suddenly become heavy in the hands and having a few head tossing tantrums. She said he had only a few small sharp edges, but nothing she would be majorly worried about, and said maybe he is just very sensitive in the mouth, so the slightest sharp tooth, and he feels it. Before the dentist came, I started riding in a hackamore, and although he was OK to start with, after a few rides, he started to show signs of not liking the extra pressures (poll, curb etc.)

So taking the above into account, I guess he is quite sensitive in his mouth/head area, and if the Micklem bridle is as good as they say, then maybe this is the way forward???

Sorry probably waffled a bit there.

Who has tried, or uses one of these? Has it really changed your horse's way of going?

sportsmansB

Visit site
We have a couple of event horses who go well in them (and some who it didn't seem to make a difference!)...
Definitely if you can try before you buy it is worth it as the sizing can be found to be a bit odd on some shapes of horse (they can't be as adjustable as a normal bridle due to the way they are made) and there is full and extra full I think

doonrocket

Visit site
Love mine, Thought it didn't fit at first but a bit of subtle tweeking pu it right. Straps just seem to make sense on the horses head and it is impressively versatile as well.

Billy the kid

Visit site
i was very very almost buying one, after hearing all the great reviews on them, but after alot of thought i decided against it.

Reasons are:

Its made from indian leather, and after standing in the shop holding it i didnt think must of the bridlework.

I dont have any massive problems with my horse so it probably wouldnt make that much of a difference, so i decided to keep my £140!

I do like the idea behind it though, and if they ever make an english leather version (maybe they already do?) i might buy one.

Hurricanelady

Visit site
I've got two of the competition bridles and use one on our old Irish Draught boy and one on my somewhat sensitive Trakehner/Thoroughbred mare. I haven't seen a huge difference between using the Micklems and their other Elevator bridles however the mare is a bit easier to bridle now, she used to stick her head straight in the air towards the ceiling when she saw the other bridle, but apparently only with me so clearly knew how to make her owner feel needlessly guilty (!) and the Neue Schule (as gently as possible snaffle with a lozenge) bit hasn't changed. The sizing is a bit difficult - on both bridles (one full size for the 16.0 Trakehner/Thoroughbred, one extra full size for the 16.2 Irish Draught) the throatlash equivalent is only just long enough and is on the last hole. When I get round to it I will have those pieces of leather extended so they can be a bit looser.

Neither of my horses need flash nosebands (and I hate with a passion seeing them very tightly done up and horses in clear discomfort) and if they did I would prefer the design of the Micklem which is more like a drop noseband. On the Micklem's I have the drop noseband straps done up loosely. I would prefer to use them above the bit as a Cavesson noseband but it doesn't work on my horses as it then pinches the skin near the bit.

One of the things that puzzles me about them is the design of the headpiece above the poll - it is lovely wide padded leather but the cut away curve of the leather is more pronounced on the side that faces towards the rider, not the side that is closest to the ears. I would have thought it would have been better the other way around, but having said that the way it is doesn't seem to pinch behind the ears.

I think the person who likes the bridles the absolute most is my husband who finds them a lot simpler to put on than a regular bridle (which they are as there are less pieces of leather). He just about (although not quite!) managed to put the Micklem back together when very reluctantly helping with cleaning our rather large collection of tack :-o

longdog

Visit site
Our hobby TB now has one &she is much steadier to the contact. Agree the leather isn't the best. It is not Indian tho!
We offer a trial service for them. See dragonfly saddlery dot co.uk

kathantoinette

Visit site
I've got one, my horse seems to go much better in it than the conventional bridle. I did try one belonging to a friend before I bought though so maybe get a trial from a saddlers first.

I'm quite happy with the quality of the leather.

Abacus

Visit site
I bought one second hand on Ebay (competition version, it was about £90). I do think my horse is initially softer in the bridle at first when I get on. However, he does still rub the bridle on his leg after schooling, particularly around the noseband, which I assume means he isn't such a fan. He does the same in a flash and a crank but not a plain cavesson. So the conclusion is that he likes it and is softer with it, but would prefer the noseband to sit above the bit.

ETA: I bought second hand on the basis that I could sell it for about the same amount again if I didn't like it, apart from Ebay fees and postage. This is cheaper than hiring them.