Micklem bridle... sort of!

Chappie

Visit site
Sorry if this has been done a lot in the past!

I've been thinking on and off about getting a Micklem bridle for a few years, only thing that has put me off is I've read the leather quality is not that great, and when I saw them for myself at a stand at a large equestrian show (*sigh* remember those...:() I was rather surprised at how they looked and felt... also read up on them on the forum and decided against purchase at the time... however although my cob goes fine for what we do in his current bridle, I always think the inner parts of his current bridle can't possibly be comfortable against his face.

Cob's always been in a drop noseband and eggbutt snaffle. He already has padding on the noseband and poll and I use Soft Soap after every ride so it is kept flexible.

But I watched the sales video on the Micklem site, the bits where they explaining about the bone structure and nerves really persuades me to buy one!

Normally I think "you get what you pay for" so try and buy high quality proper branded things, especially for 'main' purchases, however was Googling about and spotted this Micklem style bridle - what do you think? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOVELY-QUALITY-SUPER-SOFT-LEATHER-MICKLEM-STYLE-BRIDLES/164585263261

(I might need to repost that, not posted a link before!)

I think the inner bit of the bridle looks good, it looks soft. That is what is drawing me to these rather than the price, I have the money put by for the 'real' Micklem.
I also look on eBay and preloved every now and again but don't see them often, I'd want a brown leather and need a small horse size.

I know the fit of bridles is really important so would want to get that spot on. Wish I knew someone in my area who had one the right size to try but I don't!

So what do you recommend, go for the proper branded version or could this one be worth further investigation?! Or something else anatomical?!

Mynstrel

Visit site
It looks very much like the easytrek version. We have one of those and it's every bit as good as the micklem. If you want to try one I don't think you'll get a better price ?

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Those look pretty good for fakes! I’ve seen some awful ones.
To be fair, I’ve got a micklem, and had one previously but sold it - both have been great quality. I haven’t had problems. I look after them but don’t over clean/treat.

rextherobber

Visit site
I've got the Micklem competition bridle, agree the leather isn't the best, but the horse is definitely happier in it, so that settles it for me. I think they do an english leather version with fancy stitching, but it's £££. You can pick the bog standard ones up secondhand for around £50, that said, the link you shared looks a decent copy..

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I got caught out and bought a fake Micklem bridle, very, very clever advert. I already had a Micklem to compare it with and although looking very similar the shaping was noticeably different in a couple of important areas so I would be cautious of buying a micklem style.

I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now and the leather quality is fine but I think from what I've seen and read the leather quality can be variable.

Chappie

Visit site
It looks very much like the easytrek version. We have one of those and it's every bit as good as the micklem. If you want to try one I don't think you'll get a better price ?

Thank you for your reply, I've not looked at easytrek, I will do!

Chappie

Visit site
I got caught out and bought a fake Micklem bridle, very, very clever advert. I already had a Micklem to compare it with and although looking very similar the shaping was noticeably different in a couple of important areas so I would be cautious of buying a micklem style.

I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now and the leather quality is fine but I think from what I've seen and read the leather quality can be variable.

Ah, now this is what I'm concerned about, that a copy would not have the special structure the real Micklem does... after all, even if the copy's leather looks good in the photos, the main reason for wanting to buy this style is that it will sit a certain way on the face... also, not in any way connected to the seller I highlighted in my post, but sometimes I've bought things online and they are not the same quality as the product in the photos.

Hmm... thanks for all the replies, I think some more research is needed!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I have 2 Micklem bridles, one black one brown, they are slightly different in terms of stitching. The brown one (slightly older) feels sturdier but they're still both good quality, I've had them for around 7 years I think. Currently have the brown one for sale but it's full size so may be too large for you, I don't know what sizes they come in.

Chappie

Visit site
Thank you for mentioning this, I appreciate it, but I will need the "small horse" size I believe. They seem to get snapped up quickly on the second hand sites, I'll maybe have a look at those more regularly.

cauda equina

Visit site
Have you tried one on?
They don't fit all horses. For one of mine the length was ok but the width was wrong, and no amount of fiddling could make it right
As a result I've got an unused brown small horse multibridle going spare - let me know if you're interested!

Chappie

Visit site
Have you tried one on?
They don't fit all horses. For one of mine the length was ok but the width was wrong, and no amount of fiddling could make it right
As a result I've got an unused brown small horse multibridle going spare - let me know if you're interested!

No I don't actually know anyone who has one - but friends of friends might have one - but of course with this year and current lockdown situation it has and is not going to be suitable to ask about on my local horsey FB sites, for example.

Doing a bit more reading last night online and saw that they don't sit well on short wide faces, hmm, well that is my cob then. I have found online a site that offers them to try on before purchase. They look at a photo of your horse beforehand of sending sizes out. I might go down this route, as also, what if my cob just doesn't like it? I also saw some videos online that were about getting the fit right - I need to watch them. But thank you very much for your mention of your bridle, I might get back to you but really need to look into this more first, it seems!

Chappie

Visit site
Regarding sizing my 14.2 cob who is in a mix of cob and full size bridle parts in normal bridles needed a standard horse size Micklem.

That's interesting to know, thank you. I have an Evision bridle currently and that is a good fit on a cob size, it's a nice bridle. My cob of about 14.2hh has not got an unusually big or small cob head, I'm biased of course but he has a really nice shaped head :D

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Be warned.
I bought a ‘Micklem style’ bridle from a Facebook site as no one I knew had the size I needed to try.
It didn’t fit anywhere. Cheeks too long, browband and throat latch too short and the noseband wouldn’t reach round no matter how it was adjusted.
I sold it straight away and can only hope it fitted as I did not hear from the new owner.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Funnily enough the micklem was what suited my tb who has a short head, very wide tapering to a tiny nose, almost araby.

In a traditional bridle he had full headpiece and browband , cob cheekpieces and neither cob nor full nosebands sat well. He takes a small horse in a micklem though the thoatlash is on the last hole.

Eta he takes a 5 1/4 or 5 1/2 in a bit and the noseband on the micklem is on hole 2.

oldie48

Visit site
I've had two Micklem bridles, I bought Mr B's new and the leather was absolutely fine unfortunately it got damaged but didn't fit Rose anyway so I bought another second hand. The leather of this one is not as good, so they do vary. Both horses went better in the Micklem though although both needed a larger brow band.

Chappie

Visit site
Be warned.
I bought a ‘Micklem style’ bridle from a Facebook site as no one I knew had the size I needed to try.
It didn’t fit anywhere. Cheeks too long, browband and throat latch too short and the noseband wouldn’t reach round no matter how it was adjusted.
I sold it straight away and can only hope it fitted as I did not hear from the new owner.

Thank you for the warning, yes I'm thinking to stick with branded items, it is too important a piece of kit, plus I'm not very good at returning things!
Hence having quite a few things I really do need to get on my local horsy FB site when lockdown eases, which is realistically going to be spring.

Annagain

Visit site
I’ve got an old Micklem bridle that I bought second hand years ago and it’s great. Really nice soft leather. I’ve seen newer ones and they’re not a patch on the older ones, even the really expensive deluxe versions. I’d try to find an old one in good condition rather than buying new. It has the added bonus of being a lot cheaper too!

Chappie

Visit site
I’ve got an old Micklem bridle that I bought second hand years ago and it’s great. Really nice soft leather. I’ve seen newer ones and they’re not a patch on the older ones, even the really expensive deluxe versions. I’d try to find an old one in good condition rather than buying new. It has the added bonus of being a lot cheaper too!

Yes I'd read that the older ones were nicer leather, that's good to know, thank you!

Chappie

Visit site
Just had a look on ebay and there's a couple that would fit your requirements. Bear in mind small horse is sometimes labelled cob.

Thank you for looking, I'm watching a couple, it may be them!

I'll definitely post back on my thoughts if I do get one, even if it happens to be later next year. I woke up the back of 4am and it was the first thing I thought of, so I won't be happy till I've investigated it further! Well I suppose it's better mulling over that at 4am rather than work, covid or Brexit! :D