Micklem Bridle with Hanging Cheek?

CeeCee

Visit site
I've been looking at the Micklem bridle for my sensitive mare, shes currently ridden in a hanging cheek straight bar. All the pictures I've seen are of normal snaffles is it possible to use a hanging cheek with this bridle?

Also what do the sizes come up like? Might be being a bit thick but I can't find the actual measurements anywhere, she's a 16.1hh TB so I was thinking standard horse would be ok?

Ideally I would like a second hand one if anyone is looking to sell ;)

yaffsimone1

Visit site
If you can wait until tomorrow I may have an answer for you!!

I ride in a Micklem with a French link, although tonight i'm going to try my Neue Schule Baucher.

Its a bit of an experiment because the Micklem works on relieving poll pressure (I believe) so not sure if using the Baucher will be pointless

My horse came with the Micklem. Being an ex racer I tried her in a normal bridle and she was fine, so not quite sure why they put her in the Micklem. Also with the Micklem I found to be limited with he bits I can use i.e I cant use the racing snaffle because its to thick at the ends.

Your probably thinking why have I got a French link, racing snaffle and a Neue Schule?? its me experimenting again....

Last edited:

*sprinkles*

Visit site
I have seen it used with a Pelham so you'll probably be fine with your hanging snaffle. I'm in the same dilemma over sizing, I want to buy one for my warmblood gelding but have been told the sizes are a bit funny so I'm hesitating. I believe you can hire them to try though?

CeeCee

Visit site

I ride in a Micklem with a French link, although tonight i'm going to try my Neue Schule Baucher.

Its a bit of an experiment because the Micklem works on poll pressure (I believe) so not sure if the effect of a Baucher will be too much.

My horse came with the Micklem. Being an ex racer I tried her in a normal bridle and she was fine, so not quite sure why they put her in the Micklem. Also with the Micklem I found to be limited with he bits I can use i.e I cant use the racing snaffle because its to thick at the ends.

Your probably thinking why have I got a French link, racing snaffle and a Neue Schule?? its me experimenting again....

Always worth experimenting, I won't tell you what I've spent trialing bits from the bit bank!

I believe the Micklem relieves the poll pressure so I did think it may be counter productive by using a bit with poll pressure. I may well be able to change it if she is more comfortable in the Micklem but again like you I'm just experimenting different options. It was the bit straps that worried me the straps look very short, will they go high enough for something hanging?

Please please let me know how you get on!!

CeeCee

Visit site
I have seen it used with a Pelham so you'll probably be fine with your hanging snaffle. I'm in the same dilemma over sizing, I want to buy one for my warmblood gelding but have been told the sizes are a bit funny so I'm hesitating. I believe you can hire them to try though?

Such a pain having to send things back and then wait for the right size!

I have had a look at the website that hires them but they are about £25 more expensive than I can find elsewhere and being on a budget I need to find the cheapest. They work by you buying the whole bridle and then they refund the hire charge if you keep it.

Trying to find a stockist in my area and then I could take my existing bridle in or just measure it in the shop but can't find a tack shop that has them :(

yaffsimone1

Visit site
Always worth experimenting, I won't tell you what I've spent trialing bits from the bit bank!

I believe the Micklem relieves the poll pressure so I did think it may be counter productive by using a bit with poll pressure. I may well be able to change it if she is more comfortable in the Micklem but again like you I'm just experimenting different options. It was the bit straps that worried me the straps look very short, will they go high enough for something hanging?

Please please let me know how you get on!!

Yes your right I had got it the wrong way round, I changed my post when I noticed what I said!

yaffsimone1

Visit site
Such a pain having to send things back and then wait for the right size!

I have had a look at the website that hires them but they are about £25 more expensive than I can find elsewhere and being on a budget I need to find the cheapest. They work by you buying the whole bridle and then they refund the hire charge if you keep it.

Trying to find a stockist in my area and then I could take my existing bridle in or just measure it in the shop but can't find a tack shop that has them :(

Mine was already done but apparently they are a ****** to put together and you don't fit them like a normal bridle

Scarlett

Visit site
I've been looking at the Micklem bridle for my sensitive mare, shes currently ridden in a hanging cheek straight bar. All the pictures I've seen are of normal snaffles is it possible to use a hanging cheek with this bridle?

Also what do the sizes come up like? Might be being a bit thick but I can't find the actual measurements anywhere, she's a 16.1hh TB so I was thinking standard horse would be ok?

Ideally I would like a second hand one if anyone is looking to sell ;)

I have standerd horse size and it's a little too big for my 2 bigger (16.1 & 16.2) Tb's and far to big for the other two (2x 15.2), theres no way I'd be able to lift the bit strap high enough to use with a hanging cheek. If i were you I'd go for a small horse size....

Scarlett

Visit site

Its a bit of an experiment because the Micklem works on relieving poll pressure (I believe) so not sure if using the Baucher will be pointless

A hanging cheek/baucher snaffle doesn't give ANY poll pressure at all - it's one of those horsey myths. using any bridle designed to disperse poll pressure wont affect its use in any way.

CeeCee

Visit site
I have standerd horse size and it's a little too big for my 2 bigger (16.1 & 16.2) Tb's and far to big for the other two (2x 15.2), theres no way I'd be able to lift the bit strap high enough to use with a hanging cheek. If i were you I'd go for a small horse size....

Thanks Scarlett, She's quite fine so sounds like the small horse would be better.

yaffsimone1

Visit site
album.php

This is my 15.2 TB in hers. Please ignore the bit she pulled it through when turning away from the camera!

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/album.php?albumid=5874&pictureid=23511

Last edited:

Baileyhoss

Visit site
I use it with my universal, hanging cheek and a loose ring. No probs. just use the clips or loops of leather as necessary.

googol

Visit site
Another who uses it with a hanging cheek no probs. not sure wat size bridle as its borrowed but fits my "normal" horse v nicely. Recommend it!

yaffsimone1

Visit site
What size are you using? She's a very pretty girlie btw!

She is pretty mare, thank you.

Sorry for the delay in posting. I'm not sure what the size is, but she does take a normal bridle in cob size if that's helps.

I tried the baucher with the Micklem but couldn't get the bit to sit properly. The flash type band seem to interfere, she wasn't very happy.

Out of interest though I did try the baucher in the normal bridle, she nearly put me on the floor!! I don't think it was the bit but the bridle...she lunges fine in a standard bridle, but riding in it is another ball game so she is back in the micklem with the French link. She seems happiest in that.

posie_honey

Visit site
I use a normal horse size on my 16hh ish.
They are easy to put together (ref poster who said they are a *****)
I use a hanging cheek tongue saver snaffle for flat and hanging cheek Waterford for jumping and they fit fine.
I could upload pics later if you want?

MissTyc

Visit site
I have a standard and small horse Micklem.

Standard head piece + smaller nosebit on 15.2hh TB x
Small head piece + standard nosebit on 14.2 cob :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
You'd probably use the clips instead of the leather bit holders. They are easy to put together but do look out for the arrow on the head piece :eek::D