Micklem Bridle

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
Hi can any-one tell me their experiences of the micklem bridle weather they have worked for you or not? And also the sizing have seen on some websites its small horse medium horse or large horse is the sizing about the same as cob/full? Thinking of gettin 1 for my very sensitive TB. Thanks in advance :)

Piglet

Visit site
I have one and love it, I wouldn't go back to a regular bridle at all (except for showing where I think the Micklem may be a little too much for some traditional judges), I use the Multibridle as it gives more value for money and providing you don't use the clips is totally dressage legal, I checked before I bought.

It is a tad expensive but it is nice to have the choice to ride bitless or with a bit, the only problem you may have is I can't use a fulmer as the rings are too small and I need to get bigger bit straps sometime.

Britestar

Visit site
I use them on two of my horses. They are both very happy in them. The 14.1 TB wears a small horse one, and the bucket headed 16.2 TB has a full size one. Both are used with full cheek snaffles.

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
So they are dressage legal? that was gonna be my next question lol! So the difference between the multibridle and the competition bridle is just you can use it as a bitless bridle and as a cavesson? do the clips just hold the bit in place :/

cavalo branco

Visit site
Just looked on a micklem bridle hire website and it states that the multiway bridle is dressage legal as long as it doesn't have bit clips (whatever they are!) Might be worth looking up more information :)

MissTyc

Visit site
I used them on my 3 main riding hroses now and wouldn't go back.
Am not one to go for the newest fad so it took me a while to try one out but my horses just seem happier in all disciplines

Piccy

Visit site
My horse is much happier in a Micklem; wouldn't go back to anything else now apart from when showing.

Cragrat

Visit site
The clips are not legal for affiliated BE dressage, but are for everything else. The bridle itself, without clips, IS BE dressage legal. So you can use the bridle and just add the clips for jumping. Don't know about pure BD though.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
I am reading this with interest as just ordered my tb one off ride away with the 20% discount code. My mare is fussy with her mouth and in a loose flash at moment but hoping she may be more settled in the micklem after all the good reviews on here.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Bought a multibridle initially just for the lunging option. Both (adult) horses are far happier in it than a traditional cavesson, or lunge rein up and over the head. Now have three multbridles, as have now got one for the 3yo.

Got the last one second hand on ebay. They usually go for nearly new prices, but I got lucky after being underbidder on a few.

spacie1977

Visit site
i hate reading these threads, they increasingly make me think i need to get one . . .

Me too LeannePip! Although my horses head is HUGE so I doubt it would fit him. Who'd have thought my horse can save me money?! LOL (I hear mumbled grumbles coming from my husband)

Ella19

Visit site
I had one and sold it on eBay, it really didn't change my mare. First time it did but after that she just reverted back. It was the bit clips more than anything that benifited her as it kept the bit more still in her mouth, despite my soft still hands. However I also found it dulled my aids which is fine on an established horse you can ride from your seat, but not a baby that struggles to turn! I would never say never to one again but do wonder if for some horses its more rider mind over matter, hey if it works that way for some people who cares!

LittleGinger

Visit site
The multi bridle is not competition legal, nor is using the clips.

From a competitive aspect, there is no difference between the multibridle and competition bridle, despite the misleading name - both bridles are BD/BE/FEI legal; the clips are not legal on either bridle.

The only difference is actually whether you want the bitless options/lunge ring on the nose or not. And the multi is cheaper!

I have just bought one and have only used it twice, but L seems softer in her neck, more willing to bend and her 'giraffe' impression, which she likes to do in trot, didn't happen in either ride. Still a bit fussy in her mouth, but not as much as previously and hopefully that will continue to settle with more schooling. Will be using it in tomorrow's lunge lesson so we'll be putting the noseband to the test!

Last edited:

Piglet

Visit site
I can assure that the Micklem Multi Purpose bridle IS competition legal, I checked it out with the British Riding Club and British Dressage and they said that it was only not allowed if the clips were used. I would have not bought it otherwise as I affiliate

mulberrymill

Visit site
My New Forest improved dramatically in the Micklem, no more head tossing or fussing with his mouth and generally softer. He has been very difficult in many respects so Im pleased I finally found something that suits him. He is in the small horse size, he is 14.2 but with a large New Forest head. Took a lot of adjusting but got there in the end

Copperpot

Visit site
I love mine. He doesn't toss his head anymore. I used his old "normal" bridle for the first time in over a year a few months ago, may be unrelated but for the first time ever he reared. Cantering along and I asked him to steady and he just stopped, reared and smacked me in the nose. Has never happened since and the bridle is the only thing that was different that day.

FreshandMinty

Visit site
would love to hear if any of you who get on so brilliantly with the mickelm tried a simple drop noseband and a bigger size browband on a normal bridle also?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There was a recent thread, in which someone with a 16.1 TB changed the Standard Horse size for a Small Horse, which fitted her horse better.

Generally, Micklems come up small, so I had advised her that the Standard Horse would be ok. I was wrong!

Britestar

Visit site
would love to hear if any of you who get on so brilliantly with the mickelm tried a simple drop noseband and a bigger size browband on a normal bridle also?

My horse was ridden in this arrangement for years before changing to a micklem, and he goes much better now. This is partly due to the fact that he has nerve damage on his face due to bone flap surgery as a youngster, and the micklem puts no pressure on these areas.