Micklem Competition Bridle

Selkie

Visit site
I used one on my big are who was a head shaker and she got on really well with it. I bought one for my cob who is bitless and she is really happy with it

CIJ

Visit site
I love mine. I got it because my mare has some fractured teeth at the back of her mouth, which the vet doesn't want to take out for various reasons. We thought that the micklem bridle could only help my mare as the noseband doesn't go round the area that her teeth are fractured, so no pressure on them. Her dressage marks have improved, her head is alot stiller and she seems the happiest shes been in a bridle.
I have heard of the micklems not fitting every type of horse, but I'm sure there's a website were you can try before you buy.
I also compete alot and have seen a huge increase in the amount of horses competing in them now from when I first got mine, which I think speaks volumes.

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
This is great to hear :0) Ive been uming and aring all weekend weather to get one or not and after an awful time show jumping Friday and yesterday, I think its time to give it a try! The problem I have is my horse is very strong jumping and just rushes and I cant hold him. Ive been jumping him in a gag and flash, but found I still didn't have enough control, so have been trying a grackle which he HATES! He just throws his head in the air almost smashing me in the face! I have the control, but waaaay too much! Ive found the website where you can hire one (full price though) so I may order one.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Like anything else, great for some, pretty useful for many, not great for some.

Re jumping, you do have to try. I've seen quite a few horses now who go very well in them on the flat but not jumping, for whatever reason. If the horse is rushing because of discomfort, it might very well help your cause, but some horses seem to become even more locked up in it. Courses for horses and obviously many jump well in it.

I am surprised that the drop noseband conversation doesn't come up more, because that is essentially what it is. I know the pressure points are different and that probably helps a lot of horses but I don't see that it's any different in practice than any other type of "below the bit" noseband. (And I've certainly seen horses that were happier in a drop than in a flash or grakle, no new bridle required.)

ConnieX

Visit site
I have one for my horse who has a narrow face but big cheek teeth so is uncomfortable in a cavesson. Fine in grackle which I use for jumping but not BD legal. Drop sits too low on fleshy part of his nose due to head shape, micklem nose strap sits higher than drop. Have been really pleased with it but as above we have specific conformational issues which this bridle addresses. Only thing I would say for jumping is if you are using any kind of bit that works by poll pressure it won't work in micklem as bit is independent, connected by short straps to noseband part rather than directly to headpiece. For that reason I still use a conventional bridle and grackle with my universal for jumping

CIJ

Visit site
I am surprised that the drop noseband conversation doesn't come up more, because that is essentially what it is. I know the pressure points are different and that probably helps a lot of horses but I don't see that it's any different in practice than any other type of "below the bit" noseband. (And I've certainly seen horses that were happier in a drop than in a flash or grakle, no new bridle required.)[/QUOTE]

Interestingly I tried a drop noseband, but couldn't get one that didn't intrude on her nostrils, were as the micklem doesn't. I also know of a horse who couldn't where a drop noseband as it rubbed her nose, but a micklem doesn't. It's just what fits your horse best I guess.

Morrigan_Lady

I have one for my horse who has a narrow face but big cheek teeth so is uncomfortable in a cavesson. Fine in grackle which I use for jumping but not BD legal. Drop sits too low on fleshy part of his nose due to head shape, micklem nose strap sits higher than drop. Have been really pleased with it but as above we have specific conformational issues which this bridle addresses. Only thing I would say for jumping is if you are using any kind of bit that works by poll pressure it won't work in micklem as bit is independent, connected by short straps to noseband part rather than directly to headpiece. For that reason I still use a conventional bridle and grackle with my universal for jumping

Hmm, Interesting about it not working with a gag! Now Im in a real conundrum!!
Maybe a different bit! But what??!!! Theres just so many out there and its a real mind field!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Interestingly I tried a drop noseband, but couldn't get one that didn't intrude on her nostrils, were as the micklem doesn't. I also know of a horse who couldn't where a drop noseband as it rubbed her nose, but a micklem doesn't. It's just what fits your horse best I guess.

To be fair, it's hard to get a variety of well made drop nosebands now so, yes, fit is an issue. Just as it can be with the Micklem. Courses for horses.

Visit site
Hi I have just bought one (yesterday) and I am yet to try it! I had a Grackle which was good but it sat too over his mouth (same as a Flash!) we then knew he would hate a Drop so we never tried it. He has been In a cavesson for the last 6 months! We have had sooo many recommendations for it so we bought the Competition one as we only do BS and BE! Everybody said how much it has worked on very sensitive mouths and that's exactly what mine has. Hope it works on yours x

Morrigan_Lady

Hi I have just bought one (yesterday) and I am yet to try it! I had a Grackle which was good but it sat too over his mouth (same as a Flash!) we then knew he would hate a Drop so we never tried it. He has been In a cavesson for the last 6 months! We have had sooo many recommendations for it so we bought the Competition one as we only do BS and BE! Everybody said how much it has worked on very sensitive mouths and that's exactly what mine has. Hope it works on yours x

What bit will you use with it?

I ride in a gag (jumping only) and it wont work with anything that uses poll pressure! Im at a real loss! :0(

My horse gets so strong show jumping and excited.

goneshowjumping

Visit site
i have one of these bridles and I use a flyde wilkie (which acts on poll pressure) and I have also used it with my hanging cheek snaffle for dressage and to be honest i get the results I would expect from these bits, I honestly never knew you couldnt use anything with poll pressure as it doesnt work (although it seems to work for my boy)......so people with the stronger type horse, what bits do you use with your micklem?

georgiegirl

Visit site
Well in one of the videos done by william micklem he says its suitable for use with a dutch gag???

I have recently bought one but not had much chance to try it out. My mare is a 16hh ISH (fairly decent sized head!) and I bought the 'standard horse' size...fits perfectly if thats any help? Only thing I would say is that for the money the leather could be a little bit better compared to others you can buy in that price range but overall Im pleased with it.

Hollyanna

Visit site
I tried a micklem on my horse, went super in it a couple of times and then awful, switched back to my drop noseband and this is much much better and doesn't cost half as much! :)