Micro Chip Death

xenia1000

New User
Visit site
In the UK we have no choice - all our foals must be micro chipped. This year we have just had three done - two miniture shetlands and one that will make around 14.2

Anyway I just wanted to share Jack's story with you and ask you please to consider it if you ever have the opportunity to stand up against this micro chipping policy.

This year we had three successful foals and about a month ago they were microchipped. Before being weaned they had lived in a herd of 10 ponies and were all perfectly happy and healthy ponies. We brought them in for weaning and then about 3 weeks later called the vet to have them microchipped. They seemed fine immediately after the micro chip was done.

Two days later we went to take the smallest of the three Jack to his new home (a field just 5 minutes walk from ours) but he wasn't right - his back legs were stiff and he looked a bit lame. Needless to say he didn't go to his new home that day but he improved quickly and we came to the conclusion that he had been playing a little rough with his little friend. About four days later he went off to his new home perfectly happy and healthy it seemed. Only a couple of days later his new owner rang in a panic to say that Jack had fallen over in the field and couldn't get up. We went to see him and my partner picked him up and stood him on his feet, he shook his head and was fine. The vet came but could find nothing wrong with him - said maybe it was some kind of a fit.

The next time he was found flat out in the field we got him up but he couldn't stay up, everytime we put him back on his feet he would collapse again. The vet this time said that it was a problem at his poll with the nerves on the left side of his neck. At this point we gave the new owner her money back and brought him home.

Our own vet gave him an anti inflamatory and said that if it didnt
work then they would need to do xrays etc to find the source of the problem. He went as far as to say that the micro chip couldn't possibly have caused this kind of injury but that when Jack pulled back when he was injecting it (I was holding him and I would say he flinched rather than pulled back) he may have caused himself to worsen an underlying fault that was caused by 'bad breeding'. (He was not badly bred both sire and dam were of quality stock with proven bloodlines but all the same it is possible genetics may have played a nasty trick on us. )

Jack went down hill unbelievably quickly after this, we lived in fear of finding him flat out with his head in a water bucket or some other such disaster and the pony seemed to be in pain and uncomfortable all the time. The anti inflamatory did not seem to work and we were seriously considering ending his suffering. We did not need to - on Sunday 14 November 2010 we found Jack dead in his stable.

Jack was a perfectly happy, healthy miniature shetland who died a painful, traumatic death at the age of 6 months. We can never prove that micro chipping was the cause but even if it wasn't it was most definately the trigger.

Sorry this is so long but thank you for taking the time to get this far.

cobgirlie

Visit site
Your story is very sad and tragic but I'm afraid I will never stand against microchipping, it's saved the lifes of 1000's of dogs and hopefully will protect the welfare of future generations of animals, if not just by bringing to justice those that treat them badly. So I'm afraid while of course the death of a baby is sad it's not enough to make me reject a policy I agree with.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Your story is very sad and tragic but I'm afraid I will never stand against microchipping

I agree completely.

OP was an autopsy performed??

There was no chance that the pony had tetanus was there?

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
The law now states that all foals born since 1st July 2009 must be microchipped, and also any older horse applying for it's first passport.

I breed miniature shetlands, we have been microchipping our foals for the last 7 years, even before the law came in, and we have also retrospectively chipped all our adult stock. We have never yet had a problem, and even if we did, the odds of it happening are so incredibly low, and it is so important that ponies are identifiable, that I would continue to do chip all the same.

I'm sorry to hear your story, but am unsure that this can be definitively put down to the chipping of your foal. But even if it could, the potential benefits far outweigh the potential risks.

Sadiemay

Visit site
Firstly I am so very sorry for your loss :(

Was a PM performed to pin point the cause of death?

I think without conclusive evidence you simply cannot know for sure that the mirco chipping procedure was to blame.

It may simply have been a coincidence sadly.

R.I.P Little Fella.

Sadiemay

millimoo

Visit site
I'm also very sorry for your loss.
However I also support the rest of the forum members who've posted, and without an autopsy how can you lay the blame as 'micro chip death'

It's truly tragic and is very upsetting that you have lost your foal, but I fully support their use.

xenia1000

New User
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies.
I cannot afford have a post mortem done for my little foal - but I absolutely know that he was perfectly fine until the day after he had his microchip. My objection is not to microchips but to having no choice. I fully agree that micro chipping can be of benefit and there are other ways to make your horses easily identifable. I just felt that while it is perfectly okay to have a positive view on the microchip process it is also important that negative experiences are aired and that is all I was trying to do.
Thanks
Tracy

xenia1000

New User
Visit site
Amymay, I don't think he had tetnus - he had no wounds or sores and was kept in a well cleaned and disinfected stable for 3 weeks prior to the micro chip along with another miniture foal. He did not appear to suffer any spasming or convulsions. The vet never mentioned this as a possiblity and the second vet said it was something to do with his poll and the nerves on the left side of his body. She identified this was the case by touching them and causing a collapse ( on more than one occasion).

thanks
Tracy

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
As before, is there any chance he could have contracted tetanus?

I think AM means could tetanus have been accidentally introduced by the pinhole wound created by the insertion of the microchip as my vet warned me it is a tiny risk with any injection that you can cause an infection..

xenia1000

New User
Visit site
Oh right - sorry! I dont really know the answer to that one. I thought tetanus resulted in a much quicker illness / death than the month its taken Jack but I have never been involved in a case so dont really know. I can only refer to my first reply in that the vet specifically diagnosed nerve and poll damage on the left side of his body.

Thanks
Tracy

minime

Visit site
I totally understand where you are coming from and I am so sorry for your lose. You must be heart broken. It is a real shame that you didn't do a PM. The only thing I can think of is that it must have entered a vein and travelled up to his brain. This would have been quite easy to find out with the micro-reader. Tetanus is unlikely as he would have had serious signs such as locked joints, he wouldn't have been able to walk.
Hugs and vibes.
RIP little angel

intouch

Visit site
For anyone interested in alternative health, the microchip is in line with meridians and so will inevitably interfere with energy lines in the horse. Not sayint that this caused the sad death of the foal - but of course the vet isn't going to admit liability!
I have to agree that it is a question of choice - the powers that be don't always see the big picture.

kezimac

Visit site
OP sorry for your loss, RIP little Jack.
I do hope not the microchip as they do help reunite horses and owners together.

Intouch - what meridian lines do microchips cross and what do they interfere with? - my horse is irish and has microchip - i am open minded and will accept that energy flows do affect horses so am interested in what way it could affect my horse.

intouch

Visit site
OP sorry for your loss, RIP little Jack.
I do hope not the microchip as they do help reunite horses and owners together.

Intouch - what meridian lines do microchips cross and what do they interfere with? - my horse is irish and has microchip - i am open minded and will accept that energy flows do affect horses so am interested in what way it could affect my horse.

It is directly on the Bladder Meridian and close to the Governing Vessel. I wouldn't like to say there is any evidence of problems with microchipping, but I'd prefer to have a choice of whether or not to do it - given the option, I wouldn't, just in case.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
With two young foals together it could quite easily have been brought about by playing; it would only take a fall, a knock or a head butt to have caused those injuries; my 3 year old filly died from the same injuries or rather had to be put down due to them, a simple fall in a field almost severed her spinal chord so caused collapsing. Unless you have a PM done I don't think you can say it WAS due to the micro chip, it might just be a coincidence. Sorry for your loss.