micro cipping horses - who's allowed to do it....

show_jumper

Visit site
now then.....

i've been hearing a few opposing stories to do with microchipping....some people are saying that only vets are allowed to microchip horses...... others are saying that so long as you've taken the microchipping "course" you are qualified to microchip horseds, dogs, cats, ferrets and rabbits????

is this true? or do horses still have to be done by vets???

thanks

lochpearl

Visit site
Only a vet is allowed to microchip. A friend of mine does microchipping and is only allowed to do small animals, she told me they weren't allowed to do horses!!

mandk

Visit site
Chipping a horse is completely different to a dog, cat etc.
With small animals it is inserted under the skin - a horse is in the neck muscle. Both are straight forward and very easy.

But personally I would want a vet to do it.... I do not know anything about what these people do on a course to become qualified to chip.
Also, if you horse is due vaccines or someone has vet out on your yard, it will take 2 seconds for them to id chip your horse.

eriskaypony

Visit site
It depends on where the chip is inserted. If it is sub cutaneous it is not classed as a veterinary operation and does not have to be done by a vet. If it is into the muscle as required by the legislation coming in next year it is classed as a veterinary operation and does have to be carried out by a vet.

Safest to go with the vet in either case though imho.

OWLIE185

Visit site
As from next June 2009 all newly born horses will need to be micro-chipped by a vet all over Europe. If you need a passport however old the horse it will have to be micro-chipped by a vet.