Microchip question re transferring registered keeper

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've posted before about the stray black cat that has adopted us. It turned out after getting her microchip checked that she belonged to elderly and frail near neighbours of ours.

They were both very pleased to hear that she's fetched up at ours, and is happy here. We've been neighbours for 35 years. Their other cat had been attacking 'our' cat, which explains why she moved out.

It was all verbally agreed that they'd transfer ownership over to us. Very sadly, the gentleman passed away two days ago, before I'd got anything in writing. His widow is especially frail, he was her carer.

So it's not a great time to chase up getting the ownership transferred to us. The only reason that I'd like her formally signed over to us is so that I can register in our name at the vets, she's an older spayed cat of little monetary value.

So getting to the point at last. If I get a home chip reader and get her microchip number, can I re register her via the chip company in our name? Trouble is, I don't know which chip company it is. I do know the cat's given names and her current owner's full name and address. Then I could get her registered in our name at the vets, as the chip and ownership details would match.

Is that a possibility? I'm not trying to do anything underhand, but the bereaved family have a lot on their plate atm, and I don't want to add to it by mithering them about the cat when she is safe and well.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Do you know the original owners vets or are they the same one you use? Could you give them a call and explain about the bereavement, that you had already rehomed the cat with their blessing and ask if they could read the chip for details so you can re register her to you. They must have come across similar issues with elderly people passing away and having to rehome their pets.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thank you, yes, I have thought of doing that. The cat is registered to the same small animal practice that we've used for 35 years.

Unfortunately the practice has been taken over and most of the old vets and staff that I've known for so long have retired or left, but I can try. They are very short staffed at the moment, and I'm unlikely to speak to anyone who knows me, but the worst they can say is no.

I'm actually about to move the dog to the small animal arm of my equine vets, who are still independent. I could just take the cat along and register her there when I register the dog - a fresh start.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Transfer of black cat's care to me is now all sorted at my usual vets, so I did them a disservice.

The widow phoned them up, and so they were expecting my call. Cat is now booked in for a health check/jabs next week.

Vets also gave me the cat's microchip number. That is proving to be more of a pain to update.There is some permutation of her details that has not been accepted. Who knew that there were so many breeds of cats, and 'farm cat' is not apparently an acceptable answer! After hanging on to Petlog's phone line for 20 mins, I gave up and eventually found a way to email them. Hopefully that will be sorted soon.

SOS

Visit site
Transfer of black cat's care to me is now all sorted at my usual vets, so I did them a disservice.

The widow phoned them up, and so they were expecting my call. Cat is now booked in for a health check/jabs next week.

Vets also gave me the cat's microchip number. That is proving to be more of a pain to update.There is some permutation of her details that has not been accepted. Who knew that there were so many breeds of cats, and 'farm cat' is not apparently an acceptable answer! After hanging on to Petlog's phone line for 20 mins, I gave up and eventually found a way to email them. Hopefully that will be sorted soon.

If it helps she will probably be a domestic short hair… if she is a normal moggy. Or a domestic long hair if she has long hair!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, she probably fits domestic short hair best - she's just an ordinary moggy! I've tried that, crossbreed and feral - no luck. Also tried spelling her name(s) differently. Still no joy.

Maybe I've got a digit wrong in the 15 digit chip code, but I wrote it down very carefully. The chip number is recognised, though.

Ah well.

SOS

Visit site
Ah that’s a pain! Have you tried unknown? That’s sometimes an option. Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Still not managed to transfer the keepership of the cat, but the problems all seem to be at Petlog's end. They updated their website in March, and it's not gone smoothly.

They even got a mention on the BBC news :oops:.

Pet database still plagued with problems, say users https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57567800

Cat's been in to the vet for first jabs today. All good, and vet checked and confirmed that I am using all the correct details as recorded to the microchip. She is down as a domestic shorthair.

There is a Petlog helpline phone number, but due to 'a high level of calls' I've been left waiting for up to 20 mins at a time to speak to an advisor, and I've still not got through to a real person yet :(.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The microchip transfer problem is finally sorted, and the cat has finally been fully transferred over to us, phew.

OH finally managed to get to speak to a helpful real person at Petlog. It turned out that the problem was at their end - an errant extra space had been added after the cat's name on their database, so their software detected a mismatch when I inputted the name correctly and wouldn't recognise it.

All paid for and done, now.