Microchipped - how do i know??

JLW123

Visit site
I have a passport for a horse we have just bought but wondered if there is a number of there which tells me if he is microchipped or not?? How do i know without taking to a vets to be scanned?? the previous owner said he thinks he is but would be in the passport.

All help appreciated. Thanks

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
My horse was scanned at the vetting.

But if your horse wasn’t, then your vet will need to visit with a scanner.

paddy555

Visit site
was he born before June 2009? he might not be chipped if so.
I have just looked on a couple of passports of mine that I know are chipped and it was quite hard to find. usually in the form of a stick on bar code sticker. They were in the section where the silhouettes of the horse is where it's colour or markings etc were entered.

JLW123

Visit site
was he born before June 2009? he might not be chipped if so.
I have just looked on a couple of passports of mine that I know are chipped and it was quite hard to find. usually in the form of a stick on bar code sticker. They were in the section where the silhouettes of the horse is where it's colour or markings etc were entered.

sorry messages went into spam - born after 2009, no sticker so perhaps not chipped?? That’s what I was after - where do I actually look in the passport and what does it look like??

paddy555

Visit site
look in the section where the description of the horse is.
On some of mine it is shown as "transponder code" you are looking for long list of around 15 numbers

on some there is the signature and stamp of the vet implanting the micro chip. There should also be the signature and stamp of the vet completing the silhouette. If horse born after June 2009 and a vet completed the horse description then I cannot see they would have done that without chipping it.

go through each page of your passport, through every line of writing and find the one where it says microchip. If that is blank it may not have been done. Horses born after 2009 had to be chipped. (that doesn't mean of course it was)
I am not sure a passport issuing agency would register one after 2009 without a chip.

ETA if you still cannot find it ring the passport issuing agency, their number will most likely be in the passport, give passport number and ask them to guide you to the page where the chip is noted.

JLW123

Visit site
thank you - yes have a transponder code, underneath it says reading system (if not ISO 11784) Bar code optional. No sticker but would imagine this is it??

If so, my next question is does the chip then get registered to you as the owner - assuming so? how do i change into my name?? Is there a central type database or does it depend what microchip was used? Many Thanks!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Buy a chip reader, they're not stupidly expensive. Practise using it on animals that you know for sure are chipped. Then check your own horse for a chip; if you find one, note down the number and contact your passport issuing body.

paddy555

Visit site
thank you - yes have a transponder code, underneath it says reading system (if not ISO 11784) Bar code optional. No sticker but would imagine this is it??

If so, my next question is does the chip then get registered to you as the owner - assuming so? how do i change into my name?? Is there a central type database or does it depend what microchip was used? Many Thanks!

re para 1 yes I would imagine it is. There are 2 long numbers on my passports. First is the number given by the passport issuing agency. That is described as unique life no. on one and identification no on another.
The other number is the long transponder/microchip no. There are no other long numbers. I think actually sticking the bar code sticker on is optional.

The passports go:-
name of horse
identification no (ie passport authority no)
sex,
colour,
breed
etc

I suspect you have a valid passport and chipped horse from what you are saying.

you need to send the passport back to the issuing agency on change of ownership. Look on the website of the issuing agency and there will be details of how to change into your name. There may be details on the passport itself or a phone no to ring. Perhaps a form to complete, for one of mine I had to send proof of new ownership eg receipt. I think some if they are not happy check with the old owner. I think there was a fee. You are supposed to do that within 30 days.