Microchipping foals

chevs

Visit site
Hi,

I understand that I'll need to get my filly microchipped at the same time as doing her passport. I spoke to my vet about it on Saturday and he said it's best to wait until she's almost 6 months old as they can get a sore neck and go off the suck. I've had all my other horses, dogs and cat all done and none of them showed any pain or discomfort afterwards, surprising considering the size of the needle!!

Anyone have any experience of doing foals? Thanks

tikino

Visit site
yes you do they need to be registered before july if not they need chipped my foal was born in april and needed to be chipped. my foal was chipped last week at 15 weeks and had no ill effects

chevs

Visit site
Ah thats great to know thanks. You do worry with the babies!! They are so special. Never gave me a thought doing my cat who is the size of her head!!!!

millitiger

Visit site
most tb foals are done when quite young and still on the mare without ill affects.

although we had one little 4 week old diva who double barrelled the vet in the stomach as soon as we let her go!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I had mine done as a weanling last year, even though I didn't need to. My vet gave her a small local anasthetic as she said its quite a big needle for the chip.

levantosh

www.levantosportshorses.co.uk
I think your vet just wants more call out fees! My foal was done at 3 weeks old and he didnt even flinch when the chip went in, he never went of the suck and had no ill effects. Pet log were very good and sent me an email about 4 days after the vet came to say he was registered.

Rollin

Visit site
Last year's colt was chipped at 4 months with no problems. This year's fill will be about five months when I have her done.

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
I had one done at 3 weeks and another at 4 months. No problems on either.
smile.gif

emlybob

Visit site
We had 2 done at about 4wks old. One of them hit the deck with me and the vet attached to it!! The other was fine, and neither stopped suckling

Ciss

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
you dont need to have them done if they were born before July 09 x

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally the wrong information. The relevant date is not the birth date but the date on which the animal (of whatever age) is first identified (ie has its IOD silouhette filled in). If this is on or after 1 July 2009 then mircochiping must take place and the vet must add the microchip number and bar code to the ID form.

Like all other posters re age for microchiping I have never come across a problem such as the one yiur vet decribes -- and that is not just based on pesonsal experience but continuing feedback from at elast four major studbooks.

S_N

Visit site
We are a large TB stud farm and have approx 70 foals a year (87 this year though and 107 due next year) and all are done whenever the vet has the time TBH. So anytime from the age of 2 weeks to 4 months of age - we've never had any adverse reactions. I've never heard of any either.

And yes, regardless of when the foal was born, if ID'd on or after July 1st 2009, the foal needs chipping.