Microchipping system failing.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Rip off Britain.

The team investigate pet microchipping. It is supposed to help reunite you with your lost pet, so why is it leaving some dog owners heartbroken?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dlns

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/dog-microchipping-system-failing-work-17595675

Petition to close the loopholes in the current system.

https://www.change.org/p/defra-uk-government-fernslaw-update-the-current-pet-microchip-system-which-fails-missing-pets-b7d77906-c48f-40b9-9d88-7e2a8c2fa2a7?recruiter=428635226

Last edited:

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
microchips are a total waste of money. In one dog I lost 3, in another I lost 2. My current dog is chipped but the register he is allegedly on cant find him, despite the vets chasing it up and it looks like I will have to re chip. Another dog of mine was chipped in my name and registered at my local vets in my name. when I split with my ex he stole my dog. He took it to another vets to get an export certificate, they allegedly scanned to see if she had a chip, she did, but they didn't check it was registered to his name, and by then I had listed her as stolen. They then created all the export papers to enable him to take her out of the country, using the microchip that was in my name to complete the paperwork. When I challenged them on their behaviour, their head vet dismissed my claim as it was a 'domestic' and nothing to do with him. So in effect a microchip proves nothing, neither ownership, nor is it of any relevance in whos name the dog is chipped as vets wont bother checking or acting on it.

skinnydipper

Visit site
microchips are a total waste of money. In one dog I lost 3, in another I lost 2. My current dog is chipped but the register he is allegedly on cant find him, despite the vets chasing it up and it looks like I will have to re chip. Another dog of mine was chipped in my name and registered at my local vets in my name. when I split with my ex he stole my dog. He took it to another vets to get an export certificate, they allegedly scanned to see if she had a chip, she did, but they didn't check it was registered to his name, and by then I had listed her as stolen. They then created all the export papers to enable him to take her out of the country, using the microchip that was in my name to complete the paperwork. When I challenged them on their behaviour, their head vet dismissed my claim as it was a 'domestic' and nothing to do with him. So in effect a microchip proves nothing, neither ownership, nor is it of any relevance in whos name the dog is chipped as vets wont bother checking or acting on it.

I think your post highlights why we should do what we can to push the relevant authorities into improving the existing system, currently it is not fit for purpose.

I am sorry to hear that your dog was stolen. :(

SOS

Visit site
From someone who works in small animal veterinary practice, the majority of problems with microchips come when the owners fail to update contact details. We always scan animals onto our system, and generally can tell what database the chip is under as they tend to follow a pattern or have similar starting letters.

That said there are too many databases which makes searching them a lengthy process. However if a stray dog has a chip we do our best to find the contact details of the owner. Often they are still in the breeders details which means we then have to try get contact details off them.

Veterinary practices actually have no obligation to take in stray animals. Dog wardens do. Whilst many will take them on some practices cannot as we are not hospitals and don’t have 24 hour staff, therefore stray dogs that are brought in are scanned and if there are no contact details the ‘finder’ must take them to the dog warden. Once you attach a lead to a stray dog it is your responsibility according to the law and councils must have in place a process to take stray dogs in (I.e if the dog warden isn’t 24hrs a kennels often are put in place to take them in for that time). However it is hard to get this information even as a veterinary professional and I have had to be quite stern on the phone to councils at weekends when presented with stray dogs so that they have somewhere to go!

One database would make it much easier for veterinary professionals to scan new pets to the practice and check contact details. However it is the owners responsibility to keep them up to date, not ours. We want the pets reunited as much as they do but we can’t do everything!

skinnydipper

Visit site
I think there are several issues which need addressing, the number of databases being just one.

Currently registration information held on the database can be changed by someone without the owner being aware.

The programme brought some of the difficulties to the public's attention.

If something can be done to improve the system then I am all for it. I signed the petition.

Last edited:

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
My cleaner has a dachund which is now 5 years old. Despite trying both on line and over the phone she has drawn a blank with getting the microchip transferred into her name.

skinnydipper

Visit site
My cleaner has a dachund which is now 5 years old. Despite trying both on line and over the phone she has drawn a blank with getting the microchip transferred into her name.

How frustrating for her.

I wonder if anyone reviewed the efficiency of the system before it became mandatory to chip.

Last edited:

NAJRBSJ

Visit site
I agree that its useless as it is however that newspaper story has me wondering.

I know that stolen dogs have been found before now having had their microchips cut out. The dog thieves must have known where to dig for them (as they cant always be felt) so they must have a scanner, like many other trainers I know. It may not just be vets not recording they've been scanned but could be something more sinister.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I found 2 dogs locally and took each one to the vet for scanning, luckily they could phone the owners while i was there and one came in to the vets to collect his dog and the other one actually lived in my village so we arranged for the owner to come to my house to collect him. i assume we were lucky as both had been chipped locally so the vets were able to find the details quickly. i was shocked to see that so many people with chipped dogs had never been re united, and yes we should have a way for the microchip to be linked to the correct database, surely in this techo age it should be relatively easy

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've scanned so many dogs now that I've started to learn the country codes/registry types, now that's sad.....

I know it doesn't count for cross breeds or non-registered dogs, but most pedigree/registered dogs now have the microchip number and the registered owner on the same document, across most European registries.
In my own breed, if you get health tests done under the German system, wherever you are in the world, the results and the microchip number are automatically logged on to the online breed database which also has the owner's and breeder's details, which can be accessed by members. They're very big on proof of ownership.
My German dog came with TASSO paperwork for change of ownership with his pedigree, which you then send back with the new details, dogs are sold with it, it's just normal there.

People are always going to be assholes. Chips can be dug out, ears can be cut off (tattoos), collars can be removed, there's no real failsafe.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It was quite (maybe suspiciously) easy to transfer the new-to-us JRT’s microchip details to us. The previous owners did not have her registration or vaccination papers, they had been done in a previous home, but we had no name or address of that home.

We got her vet checked the day we brought her home. Vet said that she did have a chip which must have been put in by a vet, but they couldn’t read any ownership details off it and didn’t know which agency it originated from. We took a punt that it may be Pet Plan, as that is who our previous JRT was chipped with, and it was. They weren't fazed that we had no paperwork, barring a handwritten bill of sale with an address, and transferred her over to us. They did tell us her birthdate though, and confirmed that she was nearly 3.

Equi

Visit site
It is a little silly. I got my old dog scanned to see if i could get the chip in my name (he was an abandonment at boarding kennels) the chip was in danish and thus totally untraceable. Vet just said "well rechip for you" and i thought whats the point? The chip was easily picked up so whos to say MY chip would have been the one to get scanned and my details found on? If he had been picked up as a stray it would have been a typical "chipped but no details" as i doubt many would scan for two chips.

{97702}

Visit site
I can’t remember what details PP gave me with George (I think the chip number?) but it was really simple to transfer him to my name - I had to verify the details they had on file already, and add myself as his new owner.

Having said that, Amy is still registered to Adopt a Dog North East, the charity I got her from, because that was what was stipulated when she was registered. I’m fine with that because I know Cayla and I know she has my current details ?

The greyhounds chips were transferred to me by the rescue charity once they had passed their ‘probation’ with me ? Can’t remember what happened with Millie lurcher but I suppose it must have been the same there - my 5 dogs are registered with 2 different chip companies

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Wot saddle over sofa said, with bells on. Plus my constant frustration at puppies being presented for microchipping on their first visit with their new owners - nothing is being done to enforce the law about breeders microchipping and being listed as the first registered keeper.

as vets wont bother checking or acting on it.

What action are they supposed to take, though? Vets don't have the capacity or authority to seize a dog, and would be in for a thumping if they tried.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
"What action are they supposed to take, though? Vets don't have the capacity or authority to seize a dog, and would be in for a thumping if they tried"

they didn't need to seize her.

the vets should have refused point blank to register the dog in my ex's name. Simple! And should have contacted the vets she was registered with. He took a 6 year old dog, to a vets to get export papers done. He knew nothing about her annual injections so easy to prove it wasn't his dog and the chip was in my name, and my address was only 5 miles from the vets, and my ex's. They should also not have done the export papers. As far as I am concerned they were totally at fault and facilitated theft. While they take money for facilitating theft they are culpable in making a mockery of microchipping. they benefit in both instances, we have to microchip ….. so we pay them, then if the dog gets stolen.... the new owner pays the vet for a new microchip...…. win win for the vets, and the poor owner and dog take the hit.

And yes I would happily have given the arrogant vet a thumping. And I ensure I always always advise everyone I come across not to go to that vets and explain why.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
"What action are they supposed to take, though? Vets don't have the capacity or authority to seize a dog, and would be in for a thumping if they tried"

they didn't need to seize her.

the vets should have refused point blank to register the dog in my ex's name. Simple! And should have contacted the vets she was registered with. He took a 6 year old dog, to a vets to get export papers done. He knew nothing about her annual injections so easy to prove it wasn't his dog and the chip was in my name, and my address was only 5 miles from the vets, and my ex's. They should also not have done the export papers. As far as I am concerned they were totally at fault and facilitated theft. While they take money for facilitating theft they are culpable in making a mockery of microchipping. they benefit in both instances, we have to microchip ….. so we pay them, then if the dog gets stolen.... the new owner pays the vet for a new microchip...…. win win for the vets, and the poor owner and dog take the hit.

And yes I would happily have given the arrogant vet a thumping. And I ensure I always always advise everyone I come across not to go to that vets and explain why.
Just awful for you, I have no doubt. Incredibly stupid of the vet & possibly negligent too. Not kept up to date with microchipping law as I lost interest when informed they are not proof of ownership. What a joke.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
When we got Luna as a puppy, she’d been chipped, number was on her vaccination card. Our vet scanned her and confirmed the number was correct, and we then changed her owner details ourselves, which we paid an admin fee for.

We got Bo as a 4yo, were told he was chipped, but previous owner couldn’t find paperwork. Our vet scanned him, told us what chip company it belonged to, but when I called them to transfer ownership, the chip had never been registered. I spoke to our vet again to see what they could do, which was nothing (not the vets fault), so then I spoke to the company and they sent me registration paperwork. To be honest, reading these posts, I’m now worried that neither of their details may have been updated. I think next time either of them go in, I will ask vet to scan and check.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I've utterly failed to manage to change thd details on one of my greyhounds chips. I did thd paperwork and it got sent back as not recognised as their chip. No idea where the chip originates from instead....

{97702}

Visit site
I've utterly failed to manage to change thd details on one of my greyhounds chips. I did thd paperwork and it got sent back as not recognised as their chip. No idea where the chip originates from instead....

Which rescue charity is he/she from CM? They should be able to sort all of that out for you - Greyhound Trust did the transfer of ownership for me!

CrazyMare

Visit site
She's from the Greyhound Trust. I did the forms at the kennels but they were posted back to me with a covering letter which said the chip wasn't recognised and the details couldn't be changed

{97702}

Visit site
She's from the Greyhound Trust. I did the forms at the kennels but they were posted back to me with a covering letter which said the chip wasn't recognised and the details couldn't be changed

I’d get in touch with the homing co-ordinator, they should be able to sort it - perhaps they wrote the chip number down wrong? Although they should have also given you her racing details/EU passport if she is Irish/vaccination certificate which would all have the chip number on. Really odd....

CrazyMare

Visit site
Chip number is right. My vet friend scanned her. Just appears to be with some registry that isn't the usual and I can't work out where.

I'll have to try again, I gave up....

{97702}

Visit site
Chip number is right. My vet friend scanned her. Just appears to be with some registry that isn't the usual and I can't work out where.

If your homing co-ordinator can’t help then message me her chip number and I’ll ask mine, she is brilliant at tracing dogs (even ones that aren’t greyhounds) ?

skinnydipper

Visit site

The dog has a chip and you have the number. Is it possible to register that number with a UK database, Pet Log for instance?