Mid March Weekend Plans

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
A bit early but I'm really really excited for tomorrow because I had no horse time last week and tomorrow I've got a groundwork/lunging lesson. I realise it's not that exciting for people who do this day in day out but I have wanted to learn to properly lunge and then to long line for ages, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in! It's been a full on week with training at work so I'm letting myself off the hook from riding to do something that will be much less of a challenge to my confidence. Not giving up on the hacking though :)

Also dressage writing on Sunday which is usually fun. Question for other writers - is writing for BE wildly different than for BD tests? I'm signed up for Oxstalls in a couple of weeks' time.

What are others up to?

TheMule

Visit site
Good lunging is an art form- I think more people should spend some time learning how to do it properly!

Nova is finally back out and about after his most recent injury so we went to a jump lesson on Tuesday- I’ll post the link below. It was very helpful, I’ve had to spend a few weeks re-discovering the nice canter that we lost with his time off and he is so much more rideable now so we could add a bit more finesse to things.
This weekend I’m going to pop up to have a jump at my sister’s yard as she has a lovely big indoor with a course up and I need to use it as a bit of a benchmark for where we are at so I can plan where we start our event season (if it ever stops raining….)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Good lunging is an art form- I think more people should spend some time learning how to do it properly!

Nova is finally back out and about after his most recent injury so we went to a jump lesson on Tuesday- I’ll post the link below. It was very helpful, I’ve had to spend a few weeks re-discovering the nice canter that we lost with his time off and he is so much more rideable now so we could add a bit more finesse to things.
This weekend I’m going to pop up to have a jump at my sister’s yard as she has a lovely big indoor with a course up and I need to use it as a bit of a benchmark for where we are at so I can plan where we start our event season (if it ever stops raining….)

Ooh that's going on the watch list! I've got a small pool of vlogs I watch for riding inspiration/my horsey fix in the week so this one is on the list to watch next. I'm keeping everything crossed for better weather and no more injuries!

I'm hoping all my faffing about using a lunge line to walk the dog (Greyhound with untrustworthy recall) will somehow come in handy. Some days I do a good job of keeping my loops in control and not getting either of us tangled up in it, others not so much :D

SEL

Visit site
I find I can lunge perfectly well when it's just me but if I need to lunge for the vet then falling over the rope, the whip, the pony, my feet is pretty common.

My lorry is in for repairs and my hacking routes are a combination of mud and fallen trees. I'm borrowing an arena tomorrow to try and work out if our lack of right canter is him or me. Apparently it's going to rain again.....

millitiger

Visit site
Not much for us this weekend.
He had physio yesterday, so a weekend of hacking probably as we have a few weeks without competitions.

I did enter for Nationals this week though, so need to start planning training etc. for the run up as it's only 4 weeks away!

More rain forecast for the next week, I feel like a broken record but I really am getting peed off about it
We're meant to be eventing in 3 weeks, I can't see how they will run without a real change in forecast. If they do run, we'll be going with no xc schooling, as nowhere is open 🙈

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Not much for us this weekend.
He had physio yesterday, so a weekend of hacking probably as we have a few weeks without competitions.

I did enter for Nationals this week though, so need to start planning training etc. for the run up as it's only 4 weeks away!

More rain forecast for the next week, I feel like a broken record but I really am getting peed off about it
We're meant to be eventing in 3 weeks, I can't see how they will run without a real change in forecast. If they do run, we'll be going with no xc schooling, as nowhere is open 🙈
I am in the same boat xc and worst case will have to go to Pontispool for arena xc hire as at least has water and ditches and a few lines to get me riding forwards again. Just trying to make sure I hack and canter on grass to make sure legs are prepped for the going which is surprisingly hard to find decent grass stretches on good enough going.

millitiger

Visit site
@LEC I have a 10 mile fun ride booked for 1st April to help with terrain training, fingers crossed.
And boxing up for grass hacks.

Unfortunately Aston and Pontispool are both 3 hours from me.
Thankfully we've been doing training over winter with J4J skinnies etc and plenty of water training out hacking but I'd love to pop a ditch at least!

humblepie

Visit site
Tomorrow I’m riding my horse for the first time since October!

Post KS surgery and arthrimed in hocks, physio has signed her off and is thrilled how she’s moving.

Only 5 minutes down the lane but I can start riding again slowly, I’m so pleased I could cry!

Fabulous news. Enjoy.

SEL

Visit site
Round of applause for my happy hacking pony today.

Last week she dealt with a tonne of Very Cross (& therefore not slowing down) drivers who had all be diverted miles out of their way due to a combo of HS2, Thames Water and road resurfacing. It was not a nice ride but she coped with all the idiots without flinching. She then had to deal with us getting caught in 2 hours of rain last weekend and scrambling over a fallen tree to avoid a huge detour.

Today we got caught in sideways hail and torrential rain. It was running down my neck and into my boots and my decathlon shower proof breeches were not up to the job. Nor was her lightweight quarter sheet.

I think the poor pony is popping an advert on Horsequest for a human who actually reads the weather forecast.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I find I can lunge perfectly well when it's just me but if I need to lunge for the vet then falling over the rope, the whip, the pony, my feet is pretty common.

My lorry is in for repairs and my hacking routes are a combination of mud and fallen trees. I'm borrowing an arena tomorrow to try and work out if our lack of right canter is him or me. Apparently it's going to rain again.....
Success!! No falls or tangles and I only dropped the whip once. :D

I really enjoyed my session learning to lunge. At first I felt so clumsy but I started to get the hang of lengthening and shortening the line, keeping in the right place and stopping the horse from turning in. He was a good boy so he didn't test me out too much! He is one I have been working on hacking with too so it was nice to get to know him a bit from the ground when I'm not nervous. Then my instructor had another to lunge and I stayed after my lesson to watch and discuss how that horse was moving. I learned so much and now I really want to do more to practice. Next time I think we might go up to two lines and progress towards the long lining. :)

Tomorrow I’m riding my horse for the first time since October!

Post KS surgery and arthrimed in hocks, physio has signed her off and is thrilled how she’s moving.

Only 5 minutes down the lane but I can start riding again slowly, I’m so pleased I could cry!

Wonderful news!!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Another clear in the 85 Qualifier. Then Lottie was jumping beautifully in the BN but I went wrong. Completely wrong! Having come to a standstill after 8 looking for 9, I decided to retire. It felt like better training to say ‘thank you you’re a star’ and take her back to the box than to try and get going again mid round. She gave me a great feeling on both rounds. So happy with her. She is just so, so reliable. I doubt I’ll ever have such an honest, willing, careful jumping horse again. I need to appreciate every moment.

77729D3B-E26E-4408-9D26-EBA03170000E.jpegA103C466-5654-400D-96DF-72EAAAFC9BE1.jpeg764770A6-98BB-4F16-BDF4-7ED25C7CCDE9.jpeg

southerncomfort

Visit site
We had our first hack in more than 6 weeks.

Thank the Lord for my Acavallo coccyx pad as he was super bouncy and excited. I got off and walked the last 15 minutes as my left seatbone was starting to hurt. Strongly suspect i may have chipped a bit off when i fell on the stairs.

Meeting a friend for another short hack tomorrow so I'm hoping he'll be a bit less bouncy!

Cloball

Visit site
Managed to avoid all the rain 😆 did som in hand poles Friday as I was a bit short of time and energy, schooled very sweetly early Saturday before the rain came in and then did some hills on Sunday with a cuppa and a bit of grass at the top. Rushed a lot an was a bit rude in the way down my thinking is she was tired and hot and itchy and just wanted to get home to roll but she chilled out nd we had a nice chat with a walker we picked up about the Cleveland bay he owned in Australia 😅
1000001645.jpg

Britestar

Visit site
Very busy show and a long day. Remembered why we don't go to shows with 2 horses doing prelim/novice and elem.

Pony doesn't stay in trailer alone so dragged around like a large dog whilst prelim horse did her tests. Then a 2hr + easily until my novice. Very explosive in the warm up, not helped by someone constantly cantering towards me, even when she reared full up! Then mentioned that we were a bit electric and I would stay at the bottom of the warm up ( 80 x 30m), as I was just walking, so she then cantered right at me invoking another explosion.

Went in for test, and despite a couple of pigeons having a hoolie during my test (ha, plenty implusion there!), we caught a 5th.
Another 1hr+ before the elem and we both had had enough. A muddle going into canter and I called it a day.

Won't make that mistake again. Over 7 hours away from home, at least it was sunny!