Mid year goal setting

BunnyDog

Visit site
All of the archery pics blow me away. I think that would be so fun but I would be pretty terrified to try. I just can't see how I wouldn't get my next concussion or worse maybe a hole in myself!

Em

Reactions: TPO

JFTDWS

Visit site
All of the archery pics blow me away. I think that would be so fun but I would be pretty terrified to try. I just can't see how I wouldn't get my next concussion or worse maybe a hole in myself!

Em

It's honestly not that difficult, if your horse isn't going to try and kill you, and it's epic fun. That said, it's definitely only a matter of time before I put an arrow in myself ;)

The club are looking forward to the coaching - he seems to be a bit of a legend. Your mare looks like she's really taken to it - I can see you doing the polish tracks before long :)

Well just make sure they send him back at the end :p She's a good lass, she's pretty forgiving about life. Polish may kill me though (even basic Hungarian stuff is traumatic enough!).

JFTDWS

Visit site
yup me too. I dont think JFTD realises how much she inspires people. Shes out there doing it every single day. I love that she does different things, and every time I see a photo of Captain Carrot I secretly plot to get my hands on a quarter horse of my own, because she just looks like the most amazing fun. For almost everyone thats what its all about

I completely missed this post, Leo. I'm sorry, I wasn't ignoring you! I didn't really mean to provoke people to be gratuitously nice to me - but it's kind that you are, and I completely agree re Carrot, she's bloody epic, and I think everyone should have a QH in the barn :D

NinjaPony

Visit site
All of my plans/goals disappeared with my pony’s asthma/COPD putting him out of action nearly all summer.... we had our first ever freestyle all ready to go and had qualified for the unaffiliated championships and it all went bust sadly.

The good news is that he is slowly getting better and having got his saddle refitted I can finally start getting him back in gentle work.

I’m not going to make any specific plans for him.... all I want is for his breathing to improve enough that we can enjoy ourselves again. It would be lovely to get to do our freestyle before he retires from all competing. He is 18, with a far few niggles and luckily the freestyle is only at novice so should be manageable, but it really depends whether his breathing will hold up well enough for ‘proper’ schooling rather than just pootling around.

I’m trying to be sanguine, he owes me absolutely nothing. It just makes me sad to think that there will come a time when I will have to stop riding him because he has given me so much joy!

So very tentatively... I would like to find the confidence to take him hacking in his new home in September. I’m not a great hacker but life is short, he loves hacking and realistically that may well be all he can do, so I need to just get on with it, for his sake! If I could just keep him in some kind of work, then I’ll be happy. The dressage would be a bonus! In the meantime, I want to keep having some lessons at Talland, so when the time comes to move on to another horse, I stand a change of being ready!

Leo Walker

Visit site
That was my only input in response to Rara, but at the time the pony was unbroken and pretty feral, living out, caked in mud and having a lovely time. She was packed off to pony school a few weeks later and came home in February having done her first indoor driving trial 3 weeks after first going in harness.

I then messed about and did nothing much for a while due to no facilities, not even electric and needing to buy yet another carriage. I went blind in one eye again. I moved yards, got the carriage sorted and we did lots of driving in the field, a tiny bit of road driving and lots of ridden work, although not with me on board. The yard turned into the yard from hell, and we moved again.

Life kept going wrong. The last few years I have just lurched from disaster to disaster. I came very, very, very close to selling her, but we both got a reprieve at the last minute. Shes closer to home now and I've stopped wallowing in misery and its full speed ahead. Shes been doing lots and lot of road driving and interval training which has totally changed the way she looks. I have a tow car again and my trailer is finally being repaired.

Tomorrow I'm borrowing my YOs trailer and going for a lesson with the people who broke her for me. Its exciting to be finally getting out! The first weekend in August is supposed to be our outdoor trial debut. Its my local event and I have wanted to do it for the last two years. I am hoping and praying that this is the year I get to do it as with my health the way it is, this might be my last chance.

So actually I'm on track despite some really horrid set backs this year. I still havent gotten to watch Rara though and Bobbie hadnt grown even a fraction, she still 14.1hh!

6 weeks later and we managed to do our first proper outdoor trial, travel to a training session and complete another, smaller lower key outdoor. So I'm pretty much done for the year now. Anything else is just a bonus. Although the trailer is STILL not repaired and is getting scrapped if its not done by the end of next month!