midges!!!

buddylove

Visit site
Advice needed please! I have just been out and noticed the midges are out already :-(
Rocky suffers with sweet itch, and last year I was too late with the fly rug, and ended up hogging what was left of his mane. I really want to save it this year, but is it really warm enough to turn him out in just a fly rug? He is currently in a 200g turnout which does have a neck cover, however it is often to be found half way up the field after he has escaped out of it (ably assisted by the sec a's i think)!
So can you put the turnout over the fly rug or should i just buy a combo turnout until it's warmer? Any suggestions rewarded with homemade brownies, thank you x

JillA

Visit site
If you get a boett or something similar he can wear a turn out over it, and TBH if it definitely is an allergy to the bite of a midge, that is what you need anyway. A normal fly rug would depend on whether there are buckles or fasteners which would rub with the weight of a turnout over it.
Or you could use neem oil as a barrier - midges don't bite through oil and neem is antibacterial and good for the skin

ETA Midges are deffo about - we had a whole cloud of them over the muck heap a couple of days ago

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Charlie Horse had a fly rug on from February onwards, and he did wear one under his normal rug both in the stable and out. If it were a heavy outdoor rug I used an old fly rug and just attached the neck, firmly, not forgetting his ears and face mask! Having said that with this regime he was not identifiable as a sweet itch horse. We used the Rambo Sweet Itch Hoodie after a nasty accident with the eye holes in a Boett hood.....

snowstormII

Visit site
I was thinking the same - fly rug or midge protection rug under normal rug. My horse is already telling me he doesn't want to be bitten anymore. I used the Nettex stop itch which helped on our hack this afternoon but as soon as we got home he was shaking his head and rubbing his mane. Looking forward to the blackthorn winter already!!

xTrooperx

Visit site
Where I am they never went away, yes there was only a handful now I walk down the track and I can see quite a few, though must admit it has been very wet here & where they are hovering.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Yes you can put a turnout rug on over the SI rug. However I find that at this time of year it works very well for me just to use a full neck turnout which covers most of him and some repellent on ears and sheath, swapping into the SI rug in a few weeks time.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It was very midgy today while I was at the yard for the afternoon, both fuzzies swishing madly but more interested in the better grass in the new paddock.
Need to sort out the skin-so-soft methinks....

Angus' yard

Visit site
Yes, did notice there were a few midges about today. Thank you for starting this thread. I've just ordered some neem oil and will start applying it as soon as it arrives.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yep they ARE back, bound to be with all this water in the soil, just waiting for their chance to come out :(

I put a SI hoody rug UNDERNEATH any turnout rug and have done for ages. OR you could get a Snuggy Hood??? I won't use the ones with the "head" on as am totally anal about lycra rugs slipping and causing problems :( - but these are good and do the job, you can then apply a topical midge deterrent on the bits that are "on show".

babymare

Visit site
my vets advice to me was start flyrugging her begin feb and use repellant as it was that first bite that started the reaction and the 2 years after that we did ok. was funny seei g baby out in flysheet and others with rygs on though lol