Mild Colic? Other Pain or just plain naughty??

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Hi all..

Wonder if you could could throw any light on what my boy is up to at the mo..

Had a fab lesson on thursday, he went the best he had ever gone, then afterwards untacking him on yard, washing him down (believe it or not it was hot that day) he started digging, bolshing, kicking at his stomach, very restless etc, can be like this, basically getting himself so wound up, and trying to get down and roll on yard..completely out of blue, but he didn't. I calmed him and turned him out and he settled very quickly and ate as normal(wasn't sure if he was just impatient to go out!) .

Then he seemed o.k, little restless thursday night, but went down friday morning to turn/muck out as usual and he had dug his whole bed up, but again o.k in himself.

Next few days he was o.k, then sunday had a clinic and he again went well, just started head shaking in last bit..again sunday night he dug up his bed. Gave him monday off, then went to ride him tonight, it was tipping it down with rain, but he tacked up o.k, then went to get on him and he was a sod, cow kicking, backing up, spinning, bucking, you name, class 1 performance. (normally he is very good, stands perfectly whilst i get on) It got the point where he was dangerous so had to abort, much to my disgrace, untack and put him away...again in stable he started digging!!

He has he hay, but was not giving him any tea due to naughtiness, went to check him half an hour later, he was absolutely fine, laid back as normal, yawning away and very "sorry!"

Now, i really am struggling to know whether it is physical pain or he is just going through a stage..but he is 6 this year!

He has had several issues in the last 6 months, all of which have been given all clear, incluidng sacro illiac muscle in his Back, checked February and signed off by physio. Also got an absess in his foot at easter, he had antibiotics for this, and it was caught early and cleared v quickly and has been sound on that for a good couple of weeks and has been shod with a pad.

So that made me wonder if it was mild colic, esp given the kicking at his tummy, pawing ground etc... but then he is eating and pooing normally, i've had him on a probiotic too after his antibiotics...

Sorry this has turned so long, but each time i think i'm going to call the vet, he is just fine and relaxed, when he is ridden he is fine, its so spasmodic...also not sure whether it is just old fashioned naughtiness and temper as the grass does taste too good... I don't want to call the vet again (she was only here at easter for absess) if its unnecessary and wasting their time.

A bit of a what would you do really......

Thank you in anticipation..

K

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Hi samuelw - be VERY cautious. There are loads of "mild colics" about at the mo. My boy just had a bout coz I stupidly turned him out on lush grazing straight from barren winter pasture. Every horse is a little different but the symptoms you describe would make me get the vet out straight away. Have you done the basic stuff like listen for gut sounds, check poo/pee, is he eating/drinking normally, is he sweating heavily, is his breathing laboured, are his gums pink, is he dehydrated, is he alert or disinterested, does he have a temperature, has he recently been turned out on lush/good grazing, is he stiff when led in hand, is he rocking back on his feet with a pounding pulse in his lower leg. If any of this sounds like your ned, then he could be in trouble. I wouldn't wait another day. I'd sooner pay for a vet visit and discover ned just has a mild belly ache than not get them out and find out ned has been colicking for days. Some horses (mine!) have higher pain thresholds so where one horse might be hysterical and tell you he is dying with just a shoe off, another can bear early colic symptoms so stoically that you miss the danger signs. Let us know how ned does x

Marchtime

Visit site
I agree with box_of_frogs, I'd be going down the vet route. Too many symptoms that suggest mild spasmodic colic to ignore. My horse has had it a couple of times and it is, as the name suggests, spasmodic. This means he can be acting like he's dying one minute and then fine again the next. Explain to the vet your concerns, I'm sure they won't think you are wasting their time. With a horse so young you don't want to try and work it through when it could be in pain as you'll ruin him for life.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
This doesn't sound like naughtiness to me, more pain related.
It could also be worms migrating causing tummy ache so I would consult with your vet for the appropriate wormer and do a worm count first to ensure you don't cause more pain if the burden is large.
Sometimes some illnesses take months to appear fully, and I certainly wouldn't ignore these symptoms, they sound like mild colic.

twinkle

Visit site
sounld like mild colic but also sounds a hell of a lot like gastric stomach ulcers can be treated easily and dianosed with endiscope!
search it in yahoo and loads will come up and he really does sound like he has those symtomes

good luck hope hes ok i would defently get vet to check

tiggersdad

Visit site
Horses only react they do not think the same way as humans. For instance a child can be really good at manipulating their parents. The things described suggest pain needing expert help. I think it is important to have a good vet who you can speak to. I examine many horses each day and have developed a feel for a horse in pain but a change in behaviour, obvious discomfort are good signs of pain. If you look at humans it is quite easy to see if they are unwell if you know them. Hope this helps.

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone, i rang the vet and she was fab, was on the phone for over half an hour going through everything. Typically he has been much better, i have restricted his grazing, giving electrolytes to get him drinking lots to pass things more easily and continued on pro biotic, all her advice. She basically said ring her during/after his next "episode" and she would come out and assess him, take some blood, see whats going off. But like i say, he has been o.k!

We have also wormed him as he was very nearly due. Thanks HH for that!

I am keeping a very close eye on him and if it re-occurs again, will definately mention stomach ulcers to the vet .. i've read up on those once before, but for now he is much much happier, calmer and gently hacking out great....

Will keep you posted and thanks again K x