mildest/nicest bit

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
bit advice sought for a very gentle, non strong, non pulling horse. only downside is can be a bit playful with things in his mouth but apart from that extremely polite horse to ride. can someone suggest a nice mild bit? currently in a myler comfort snaffle and goes okay in it but have had some feedback recently that actually there are probably less severe bits out there.
thanks

MissMistletoe

Visit site
This sounds like my pony and she goes very nicely in a hanging cheek snaffle with a central lozenge.
It is made of sweet iron and the lozenge is copper.

But it also depends on her mouth type, maybe get an EDT to offer you some tips?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Less severe than a myler comfort???

Well, personally, I think that 'multiple pressure' bits are the mildest. Meaning bits that exert pressure over several points e.g. poll, jaw, tongue and bars. As opposed to just tongue and bars which is what a Myler does - in its class still not very severe.

Many will disagree with me as it goes against the grain somewhat but I think the kimblewick is a brilliantly non-severe bit :)

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
This sounds like my pony and she goes very nicely in a hanging cheek snaffle with a central lozenge.
It is made of sweet iron and the lozenge is copper.

But it also depends on her mouth type, maybe get an EDT to offer you some tips?

see i always thought a hanging cheek excerts alot of pole pressure??

edt just says a 'plain old snaffle'!!! is there such a thing these days!!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Less severe than a myler comfort???

Well, personally, I think that 'multiple pressure' bits are the mildest. Meaning bits that exert pressure over several points e.g. poll, jaw, tongue and bars. As opposed to just tongue and bars which is what a Myler does - in its class still not very severe.

Many will disagree with me as it goes against the grain somewhat but I think the kimblewick is a brilliantly non-severe bit :)

thats what i hear about mylers- exerting alot of tounge pressure from the bars...

unbalanced

Visit site
I like Mylers as they can't wrap around the tongue too much like even a KK can. If you have friends with a range of different bits, get someone to wrap different bits around the inside of your elbow and take a contact on them - this will give you some idea of what your horse feels on his tongue when a contact is taken. Try contrasting single and multi jointed bits - french link, dr bristol (but be careful, it hurts!), waterford, lozenge, myler, kk (so curved mouthpiece) but then bear in mind that the bit does affect other parts of the mouth than the tongue. This is just an interesting starting point.

My horse is really fussy in her mouth and I ride in a hanging cheek myler with a loose cavesson noseband. She still sometimes opens her mouth if I move my hands even slightly or if she gets any tension in her body. If I ride in a different bit - such as a loose ring snaffle with a lozenge - she is noticeably tenser.

I don't find that the hanging cheek has a lot of poll pressure as when I pick up the rein if you actually touch the headpiece or cheekpiece it doesn't move. The hanging cheek seems to function more to hold the bit really stable in the horse's mouth in a way that other snaffles do not.

Actually I would agree with the previous poster that some horses would prefer pelham family bits to snaffles (especially jointed snaffles). I know that my mare would go much better in a mullen mouth pelham with two reins than a single jointed snaffle and I think they are much kinder to the tongue. However personally I wouldn't use it as they aren't dressage legal so they aren't any good for what I want to do. However you do see classical riders such as Heather Moffett using them.

You might also find that going bitless (or even bridleless) for some activities is an option!

At the end of the day your horse is going to be the best judge and you will need to listen to him to see what he thinks. What suits one horse won't necessarily suit another. Good luck

tallyho!

Visit site
'tis true Unbalanced, tis true.

My horse will not tolerate snaffle - put whatever link or lozenge you like in there. the minute it touches his palate, up goes his head. Then, you put him in a pelham (ported - jointed ones are pointless) - it's like a magic wand has been waved - lightest in the hand.

It's a shame about dressage not allowing certain bits but whaddayado?

the watcher

Visit site
I don't think the Myler comfort snaffle is severe in any way. It is nicely shaped to the mouth and jaw, remains stable and level in the mouth, has no tight bends or sharp corners and OP you say the horse goes well in it.

Why would you want to change?

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I changed my boy from a Neu schule starter bit with loose rings , yo a Myler Comfor because he can run out at a fence with a new rider, and also tends to fall in on corners, so rider can lift the inside rein to stop this.
Both are mild, and my boy has a good mouth, it depends on the rider rather than the bit in most cases.
A happy mouth snaffle with loose rings is very mild, but if you want to school this bit is not technical enough.

Last edited:

Janette

Visit site
I have another pelham-loving horse - and our dressage bit is a baucher mullen mouth. I did all of my schooling in the pelham, and just changed on the day. Got our best marks ever!
She really does not like a jointed mouthpice.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I have a myler comfort and I it seems to fit neatly in the mouth, I can't see how it can cause pressure unless abused.
The lozenge part is a roller, so that should be kinder that a transangle or french link.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Myler comfort snaffle can become quite fixed though and then have a gag action
Could you explain this in more detail please, what exactly is a gag action and how does a bit with a roller link and a lifting action, independent on either side become fixed, no I am not being sarcastic, I have a Myler Comfort and find it quite normal, my 15.00 hh horse has a fairly small mouth so would not accommodate a very thick bit.
I agree it is not the mildest bit,it is designed for horses which have an educated mouth to further their education, eg novice level competition in dressage.
There is another thread on the Myler Comfort at the moment.
I was asked to get a cheekpiece bit by my instructor (I think he tried to run out at a little fence when she rode him (te he)) She did not say anything about the Myler Comfort so not sure if she liked it or not. The boy seems ok in it, He is not strong or fussy.

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
see i always thought a hanging cheek excerts alot of pole pressure??

edt just says a 'plain old snaffle'!!! is there such a thing these days!!
Snaffle bits are thought to have a nutcracker action, that is why the lozenge is more popular these days, some horses have pretty "hard mouths" and don't take much notice of what is in their mouths, so you will find most riding school ponies are in snaffles, which are relatively cheap and fit most mouths.
Also horses which like ported pelhams will have an unusual mouth, so this bit will probably be the answer for a horse which does not go well in a snaffle.

Last edited:

Oliver12

Visit site
My horse is the same as Tallyho's. He loves a pelham - both mullen and cambridge mouth. I use a snaffle for hacking though and after buying dozens over the years the one he is happiest in is a straight mouth nathe bit - not happymouth. He doesn't like anything with a joint in it.

0ldmare

Visit site
Think it really depends on the horse, one of mine was really only comfortable in a thin bit like a myler as she had the combination of a small mouth, low palate and big fat tongue. Anything else and she just flipped her tongue over it to relieve the pressure. On the other hand Old Mare hated any sort of snaffle and would frown the entire time she was ridden in one. So all in all I think the best bit, as opposed to the 'mildest' bit is the one that your horse is happiest in :)

saddlesore

Visit site
I would say that a straight bar nathe or sprenger duo are the mildest bits you can get. Both very flexible (unlike happy mouth) and the sprenger duo even has a 'tongue triangle' cut out for even more relief. :)

tallyho!

Visit site
Does anyone else think snaffles in general are quite crude? I mean there has been lots of innovative new designs, new materials but essentially, what is so different? What makes it so special?