Military/police horse bridle

spogface

Visit site
I have been looking for a bridle for my cob. I have decided that I would like a bridle that is similar to the ones that the police or army use. I have trawled the internet looking for similar. Would anybody know where a bridle like this can be purchased. I have found halter bridles on various websites but I want the thick leather.

Shay

Visit site
Assuming you don't want the attachments for the face shield.... its a traditional flat hunter bridle underneath. They look great on cobs. Just google hunter bridle and you can get all sorts.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ours were quite different to Hunter bridles. Had a headcollar built in and a slip headstall so you could remove bit/headstall entirely. The underside of the halter part was flat rolled, with an Irish Martingale type "backstop" attachment between the noseband and throat lash. The top part of the browband could be undone at each side for the bit/headstall to be removed whilst leaving the browband proper done up... You are also right, the leather on the whole was thicker, like at least 3/4 inch even for throat lash and cheek pieces.

We had them made to order. I would try a few better bridle makers, they may well have a pattern.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
http://www.militaryhistoryworkshop.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=497

These were like ours, the leather darkens down with brown shoe polish, They have fitted the military bit wrong though ;)

bridle.JPG

It really is my day for internet shopping!

The price seems good, we paid that even when buying in bulk!

Last edited:

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I bought my first one from York tack sales then had a local saddler make me one. I then got another 6 from the sales when Humberside police disbanded the horse section. They are great bridles.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Lösdau Reitsport was recommended on that other thread, so I took a look.

I almost bought a halter-bridle from there, just to use it as a pattern for making others.

I think €50 is quite cheap for this kind of article, so I would expect mediocre leather, machine stitching, and for the squares and buckles to be either monkey metal and somewhat summarily finished. But as a pattern, it would be OK.

But when I got to the checkout, I found that the "free carriage on orders over €15" applies only to Germany and Austria; carriage would have been another €20 to France.

C1airey

Visit site
I also have a pattern for a military bridle which I'm itching to have a go at. Lack of leather has interrupted play at the moment, but soon...

I've never seen one in the flesh though, so if anyone does have one and doesn't mind taking close-up pics, I'd be v.grateful!