Military police horses (RMP Mounted Troop)

scrat

Visit site
A bit of a long shot but has anyone on here worked with these horses? They were disbanded in 1995 (I think). Just trying to trace my horses history who was in the troop. I have have been given some contacts but I'm really trying to find his true age and it's proving difficult.

teapot

Visit site
Have you tried the RMP museum? They may well know of a starting place for you

Curator's number: 023 9228 4372. Their archive may well have records relating to their mounted sections as each horse would have had its own service number too!

The RMP Museum,
The Defence College of Policing and Guarding,
Postal Point 38,
Southwick Park,
Fareham.
Hampshire.
PO17 6EJ

murphyboywoody

Visit site
Are you refering to the horses that were with the mounted branch in Aldershot? I did my work experience from school there and all the horses were great!! I loved every minute of it and was sad when it closed.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
I have been told that Household Cavalry horses are named after the first letter of a battle name. So all those born in the same year would have the same first initial. For example all those born in 1980 were hyperthetically named after the battle of Waterloo would be called.. William, Worm, Waddle. Cant think of anymore boys names. Dont know if this applies to Military Police horses though. It might help you in some way.

spannahw

Visit site
I also went there for school work experience some moons ago! Would have loved to have taken a few of those horses home with me.

scrat

Visit site
I'm not sure where he was based although I believe it may have been Aldershot. I know he then went to the Royal Artillery Saddle Club at Larkhill where he was used in the school and as a hireling for hunting. Would anyone remember the horses there ? I'm guessing he was there from 1995 to about 2003ish ? Thanks everyone else for your suggestions it seems I have some research to do.

bobpol

New User
Visit site
Hi, I just came across your post by accident whilst researching something else. I served with the RMP mounted for 3 years between 1977 and 1980 so if I can be of any help with regard to any questions you might have please feel free.

rwells3855

New User
Visit site
Hi there,

My name is Rob Wells and I was a member of The RMP Mounted Troop at its disbandment in 1995. I had spent 8 years with the Troop...

In the 8 years i was with the Troop, we did not have a horse with the name Blagdon, either as its official or pet name. Sorry.

You can call me direct on 07596 912 149 if you want to ask more questians about the Troop. Cheers.

Rob