Milk Testing Strips.......

sahiba2001

Visit site
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if these strips give accurate results with de-ionised water as opposed to distilled?

Having a job to get distilled water, all I get offered I'd de-ionised and blank looks when I say it's different......

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks,

mel_s

Visit site
I got my distilled water from halfords. Its for batteries.

However - dont rely on milk testing strips! I used the aquacheck pool test strips last week on my horse at tea time. I almost stayed the night but then the strips read high in calcium but the PH was 7.6. According to what i read the PH needs to drop. I did a check at 10.30pm and all was ok. I arrived the following morning to feed her and was greeted by a foal who had already drank, stood, pooed etc and had been there some time!

Luckily in my case all is well. But i was annoyed i bothered doing the test, as i'd have stayed had it not indicated that the foal wasnt coming!

Spring Feather

Visit site
I've never used de-ionised water, just distilled water. You should be able to get some from a chemist or car parts place.

I've been milk testing all my broodmares for around 8 or 9 years now and it has totally revolutionised foal watch for me. It's very accurate if you know how your mare works and you if are familiar with analysing the readings you get. Foaling a number of mares every year I would be totally exhausted if I didn't use milk testing. Well worth doing and has always been very accurate for me :)

mynutmeg

Visit site
I've never used de-ionised water, just distilled water. You should be able to get some from a chemist or car parts place.

I've been milk testing all my broodmares for around 8 or 9 years now and it has totally revolutionised foal watch for me. It's very accurate if you know how your mare works and you if are familiar with analysing the readings you get. Foaling a number of mares every year I would be totally exhausted if I didn't use milk testing. Well worth doing and has always been very accurate for me :)

I struggled to get hold of distilled but easily found de-ionized. I pre-tested with just water and it's got a nil-calcium rating and I didn't find any difference in the ph between pure milk and diluted milk with it :D