Mill Hill, North West London - riding school recomendations

Umbongo

Visit site
Hello!

Well Me and OH are moving to Mill Hill. Flat sorted today, OH starts his new job on the 19th and so is hoping to move in next week. I am on the look out for jobs so I can move down asap.

I was just wondering if anyone in the area could recommend and good riding schools in the area (or in South Herts area as I have a car).

I am a competent rider, having had previous loan horses that were young, green or nervous etc. I would like to find a good place to ride than could help with my jumping as I have lost a little confidence over the past couple of years without regular riding.

Also I will miss hacking around here (Somerset), so any places that can offer brilliant hacks would be amazing! Although it bet it would cost me an arm and a leg.

Alternatively if anyone knows of anyone around the North West London/South Herts area that needs a sharer then give me a shout!

Thanks!!!

Gal

Visit site
Hi

Welcome to North London!

South Medburn in Elstree has BHS qualified instructors, great facilities and the horses are very well cared for. I used to ride there and my husband still does.

There are other places near Mill Hill East but I have never ridden there ie London Equestrian Center. Another place is Trent Park on the way to Enfield.

Hobbitpony

Visit site
London Equestrian Centre will probably be your local RS. They don't offer hacking as far as I know. I used to ride there for a bit but decided it wasn't for me. There are a number of livery yards in the area so alternatively you could look for a horse to share and then find a free lance instructor. Hacking in London suburbs is not great so I'd look further afield if thats what you really want to do.

Contessa Equestrian in Hertfordshire is very good for dressage and is my preferred RS (not had any jumping lessons and again no hacking). Littlebourne in Harefield have probably best SJ facilities with a full set of show jumps in the summer but doubtful their RS horses will jump over 2'6" (but they do change their stock fairly regularly so might have something).

My friend and I are actually looking for somewhere with amazing hacking and decided a day trip to Ashdown Forest may be our best bet so I'd be interested if anyone has any recommendations for hacking in Hertfordshire too.

SO1

Visit site
LEC is your nearest I rode there between horses and had a good experience. They don't do hacking though and I would say the standard of teaching is better in the evening lessons than at the weekend as the evening lessons are often freelancer instructors rather than the working pupils or just qualified ones. Additionally it is less busy in the evenings so you have more room in the school.

Littlebourne do hacking including day hacks/pub rides and also there is a riding club there where you can hire school horse to enter in the competitions, however it might be a bit far for you to travel.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
If you are looking to share a horse then Mote End Farm in Mill Hill would be my first port of call as it has 250 acres of grassland riding.
Alternatively slightly further out is Strangeways Stud Farm which has good hacking out on the local lanes as well.
As regards good riding schools I would suggest South Medburn Farm in Elstree.