Mineral Balances (also in Stable)

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
Hey all,

I had a mineral balance done over 2 months ago for my gelding but having some serious issues! He gets to the point where he eats it all for about 4 days and then just stops :mad:
I have tried cinnamon, mint, tumeric but have had no luck getting him to eat it. I believe it stems from a really tainted batch of Magox. :(

Can anyone think of a way to encourage him to eat his tea with minerals in it?
He is typically a none fussy cob :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
it's a quite a few, we have had Forage plus do an analysis on the forage and grazing. My main conncern is getting the magnesium in to him as we have a very low amount in the forage. it's this i believe to be causing issues tho, so need to mask the taste some what

cptrayes

Visit site
What kind of MgO are you using? I use calmag and have never had a problem with it, perhaps it will taste different and he might like it, though I know some don't. It won' tcost you a fortune to try it, it's only a tenner or so for 25 kilos from a farm supplies. PM me if you'd like me to pop a handful in the post for you to give it a test.

cptrayes

Visit site
We use heavy magox, we have to much calcium in the forage to use calmag :(

There is no or almost no (depends on the source, but in any case it's too small to worry about) calcium in calmag. It stands for calcined magnesite, it's almost pure MgO

Last edited:

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
There is no calcium in calmag. It stands for calcined magnesite, it's almost pure MgO

Oops sorry me being stupid. The issue that may present now I've clocked on, is the volume of powder it takes to get the 25mg in weight a day. At the moment (which will change with the new batch of Magox I have now) there seems to be a hell of a lot of powder to the feed I feed... if that makes sense?

I am so confused as to why my non fussy cob is being so bleeping fussy lol

cptrayes

Visit site
NO not stupid, the reason I am so sure is that I made the same mistake myself a few weeks ago :)

Let me have your address if you want to try it. I think it's 40% by weight of pure magnesium, or thereabouts, so it wouldn't take much to feed 25 mg of Mg, less than one gramm. Are you sure you have that figure right, I feed 25 gramms a day.

Last edited:

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
NO not stupid, the reason I am so sure is that I made the same mistake myself a few weeks ago :)

Let me have your address if you want to try it. I think it's 40% by weight of pure magnesium, or thereabouts, so it wouldn't take much to feed 25 mg of Mg, less than one gramm. Are you sure you have that figure right, I feed 25 gramms a day.

Yep just double checked it :)

Have you had a mineral balance done then?
PS pm'd you x

cptrayes

Visit site
No, I'm just a barefooter and a lot of us use magnesium all the time because it flushes out if they don't need it.

I can't mineral balance because I have mineral imbalance in my spring water supply and the horses balance depends on how much they drink , which depends on how hot it is and how much they have sweated when they work from heat or hard work. I supplement copper all the time because we are high in manganese and iron.

littlescallywag

Visit site
I feed 20grams heavy mag ox to one of mine and he has no problems eating it, actually he's eaten 40 grams before with no problems :)
From what I've read the purer the mag ox the less taste it has so the 99.7% purity I use is virtually tasteless.