Mineral/Salt licks?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
It's been suggested that P has access to a mineral/salt lick in his stable. Because I'm, well me, I've got a couple of 'stupid person' questions:

Is a mineral lick likely to have salt in it too, or will I need to buy a seperate mineral & salt lick?

P is laminitic & on a strict 'hay is soaked to an inch of it's life, muzzled when turned out & exercised regularly' regime - so I need to stay away from the mollassed licks. I've been recommended either Rockies or Simple system - but as far as I can tell SS only does a salt lick?!

I've seen Rockies do a lamishield lick & a 5 star lick. Are either of these going to be sufficient? I'm liking the sound of the lamishield - but I don't know if it's clever marketing or if it's genuinely better than the cheap white/green/orange blocks I see in my feed shop that go on the wall?

Or, am I better scrapping the mineral luck idea & sourcing whatever minerals he needs separately?

be positive

Visit site
You are probably best to give the vits/ mins in a supplement form to ensure he gets it, hang up a good salt block as well so he has free access, but from the entertainment point of view a mineral block is going to last longer than a tiny feed, I have given some of mine a red rocky block this winter and they have used it, no idea about the lamishield lick but it seems fine if they will actually use it, they tend to only take what they require so in theory they are a good idea, if they won't lick it then it is an expensive way to feed magnesium.

Auslander

Visit site
Mine have a himalayan salt lick, and a Rockies Health Lick - one in each feedbowl. I may have to buy another Rockies one, as they squabble over it, whilst ignoring the himalayan one in the other bucket!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I also use Himalayan salt blocks, mine love them on the whole. Usually pop them in the field shelters at this time of the year so they can help themselves but the blocks dont get destroyed by weather :)