Mini carrying dog - am I mad?

sonjafoers

Visit site
I have an unbacked mini that I lead from another horse & is completely bombproof & I have a bull terrier that I'd love to take out when I lead the mini. In order to get to the moors I have a 5 minute journey up a lane which can have a few cars on and I don't want to be worried about the dog when I'm riding and leading.
I've had a mad idea that if I can find something suitable for my bullie to be carried in I can eventually train Todd the mini to carry her up the road so I can let her out when we get to the moors. I've thought through all the safety issues and realise the training will take a long time but do any of you think it's possible?
I've been told you can buy carry packs similar to those used by yaks so I'm guessing the weight will be carried on the sides. She would be clipped in on my side so I can lean down & release her in any emergency & the weight would need to be balanced on the other side with something I can leave on the moors so the pack is empty whilst she's out.
It's an idea in the early stages but if it works it would give both of them a 'job' which I think they'd enjoy
What do you think?

Equi

Visit site
My first thought is that it is probably not a good idea to let a bull terrier roam free on the moors when you are riding and leading and have, lets be honest, zero way to control but your voice.

On the other hand, if your dog is very well trained (and i know bull terriers that are trained well are damn good) it sounds like a cool idea. How big is the mini though and is it a normal bull terrier or a mini one? Normals ones weigh a tonne..lol

sonjafoers

Visit site
Scouts been on the moors off lead all her life so that part of it should be the easy bit! She's also very focused when she thinks she's 'working' so if she's beside you when you go for a run or a cycle nothing seems to distract her so I'm hoping she'll be the same beside the horses. I'll try her when I'm just riding one horse initially & get my husband up with us on foot - that's the way we've started all our other dogs.
She's very small for a bullie, 20 kg and Todd is stocky & strong so I think the weight would be ok for him on such a small journey, it's literally 5 minutes each way.

SpringArising

Visit site
I laughed out loud at the image of all this. I think it's a great idea in theory but not sure how well it would work in practice!

I'm not sure your Bully is going to like horse riding (impossible to write without smiling!).

Whatever happens, please post some pictures :D

Equi

Visit site
Hmmmmmmmm i can think of something that would not hurt the mini and be comfortable for the dog. Could you maybe train the dog to sit on the back of the horse, with some type of bareback pad, and have the dog wear a body harness/suit that clips onto it from below the dog at the chest then the butt? Dog can't move much, and is secured. Would need to have break away clips though should anything happen and the pony take off..

Katastrophy

Visit site
What about a basket saddle? I can't think about it without laughing either BTW- I remember training a collie once to heel to the horse- initial stages in an arena with a young collie, a slightly loopy mare and a lunge line were hilarious.
http://www.basketsaddles.com

sonjafoers

Visit site
Thank you for the link Katastrophy, the thought of her perched up there going through the village had me in stitches - she would feel very important! I don't think it would work though I possibly need something to put her in rather than on. It would be the same with your idea equi, I'd feel much safer with her in something.
FW I would worry what would happen if a car came & we all get a bit tangled, I think leading all 3 would be difficult, it would be easier for Scout to walk up & be free to get away from the horses feet but I'd rather not have her loose on the road.
Thanks for your replies everyone.

charlie_george

Visit site
I used to take my old spaniel with me on hack and when she got tired she would sit on the front of the saddle/mane while I road, dog and horse were both happy doing this! Good luck : )

FfionWinnie

Visit site
A mini could defo carry the dog it's just whether the dog wants to be carried. Unless it's tied on (not ideal) it will need to be trained to sit on unless told otherwise.

My sheep dogs are trained to ride on the quad so it's all possible. They know they must not jump off unless told. Of course they are border collies not bull terriers which will make a difference as well. (And,I've owned both hence I know that, before anyone falls off their high horse!)

20kgs is a pretty heavy dog. She might find it hard to balance on a relatively small surface area.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
i trained my dog to ride on my horse in front of me, he got onboard via my foot. So would run loose till I called him over, then would bounce on my foot and I could sort of kick him up in front of me. When we got to a safe area he would run loose again. Worked perfectly :)

Equi

Visit site
i trained my dog to ride on my horse in front of me, he got onboard via my foot. So would run loose till I called him over, then would bounce on my foot and I could sort of kick him up in front of me. When we got to a safe area he would run loose again. Worked perfectly :)

Going to assume that it was not a 20kg bull terrier though lol

Leo Walker

Visit site
mines 17/18kgs and I havent ever put him up on a horse, but I could. 20kgs is a chunky dog, but its on par with legging up people so wouldnt be hard at all :)

Equi

Visit site
mines 17/18kgs and I havent ever put him up on a horse, but I could. 20kgs is a chunky dog, but its on par with legging up people so wouldnt be hard at all :)

Yes from the ground it is possible. But i think they mean they were on the horse, then the dog jumps to their foot and they kick it up...ya know?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Yes from the ground it is possible. But i think they mean they were on the horse, then the dog jumps to their foot and they kick it up...ya know?

No, I knew that, but if I can lift my dog, when I have severe spinal issues then I reckon something just a few Kgs heavier already in motion is a distinct possibility! I dont know anyone who could lift my static weight, but even tiny people can leg me up as I jump and in motion :)

rara007

Visit site
I'm impressed you've managed to train a bull terrier at all :p The ones I know are the strongest minded things I've come across! Def a mad idea, but I'm mad so...... ;)

Equi

Visit site
No, I knew that, but if I can lift my dog, when I have severe spinal issues then I reckon something just a few Kgs heavier already in motion is a distinct possibility! I dont know anyone who could lift my static weight, but even tiny people can leg me up as I jump and in motion :)

But its a bull terrier. They are not the most agile lol walking is a life achievement.

Equi

Visit site
I'm impressed you've managed to train a bull terrier at all :p The ones I know are the strongest minded things I've come across! Def a mad idea, but I'm mad so...... ;)

They are, like all bulls. But if trained, they are amazing. I knew a guy with one who used somewhat monty roberts type training. He never had it on a lead, but it walked to heel. Stopped if he stopped and stood there. Moved over if he asked it too etc etc etc. Best behaved dog ive ever known.

windand rain

Visit site
Last edited:

sweepeep

Visit site
This is the best post I've ever had the joy to read and it's made my night/morning!

There must be a way and I think the basket saddle is a good idea but don't they move a lot from side to side?

Doggy needs to be inside something definitely; do let us see pics of this wonderful image when you get there! :) x

sonjafoers

Visit site
I will do sweepeep and glad this has given you some pleasure!

I've been researching basket panniers and I think the problem will be the width of them because I will be leading from another horse so it might mean the mini will be too far away from me. I definitely need something she can go in because I don't think she will sit on top even if she's attached in some safe way, maybe a basket type arrangement on top might work??

The thought of her being "legged up" made me laugh, she's solid muscle and not the most agile of beasts! This is still an idea in progress but I'm going to persevere because I know she'd love it so I'll keep you all updated when I find something suitable.

Merlod

Visit site
10647203_10154551821615596_4719557626807330874_n.jpg

Not much help but from my experience the pony's have been no problem/ take it in their stride carrying a dog.. it's the dog that will need the training mainly to stay on and not jump off :) but then im not really a dog person!

merlin12

Visit site
I used to carry my terrier in a bag round my neck and crossed over my chest. She would balance in the bag on horses shoulder.I could use both hands on the reins.When we got to the fields I could hold her by the scruff lean down and drop her to the ground. Horse was only 15hh.I had to dismount to get dog back in her bag. Worked well. Possibly not possible with a heavier dog!

Fun Times

Visit site
The only problem I can forsee is that pretty soon the dog is going to want a bigger, faster pony so he can get on the pony club teams and maybe do some bsja with. You have to ask yourself OP if you can afford that. Getting a bsja legal riding hat and jacket made to measure isn't going to be cheap either.