Mini Countryman as a towing vehicle?

Birker2020

Visit site
You're clearly extremely skilled, I think the 95% rule is very sensible for the average driver who tows less regularly.

I see terrifying sights on the motorway, luckily the worst ones tend not to be horses but I've seen trailers towed at up to 80mph.
Yep we followed one the other day that was doing in excess of 70mph. Scary.

Birker2020

Visit site
What speed were they doing? Do you know? A driver ignoring a wagging tail must be pissed surely, you can’t mistake that feel. Been there.
I've been there once in 25 years of towing experience going down a dual carriageway, down a hill and a cross wind that came out of nowhere started very gently, so I immediately changed down a gear and very very gently braked.

MollyFell

Visit site
I tow with a 1695kg capacity, it's not ideal but I feel safe - I wouldn't do it otherwise. I have a single CL at 650kg leaving just over a tonne 'spare'. It helps that I have ponies, I certainly wouldn't want to put anything over 550kg in and I avoid muddy fields. It does the job for now until I'm able to upgrade.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
You're clearly extremely skilled, I think the 95% rule is very sensible for the average driver who tows less regularly.

I see terrifying sights on the motorway, luckily the worst ones tend not to be horses but I've seen trailers towed at up to 80mph.
I'm not skilled - just slow!

Annagain

Visit site
Super lightweight single trailer and one horse. Much better to be safer, a heavy towing vehicle is always the best option and to only tow, laden, 85% of the maximum. This gives better braking ability etc.

A Defender (old one) weighs 1750kg. It's arguably the most capable tow car around. If you were to apply the 85% rule, you'd be able to tow less than 1500kg. It has a towing capacity of 3500kg (and had been proven to actually be able to tow a lot more). The 85% rule is outdated, and never applied to double axle, braked trailers like horseboxes.

I would however agree that, although it can be done legally, towing with a Mini Countryman isn't a good idea. Using the example I gave above, a Defender (and many other 4x4s or large estates) is designed with at least half a mind on towing so the clutch etc will be suitable. A Mini almost certainly won't have been.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Too little nose weight is what causes most 'snaking' of trailers, combined with excess speed.
A little extra weight in the front of the trailer (not too much) can vastly improve towing stability.

Birker2020

Visit site
I tow with a 1695kg capacity, it's not ideal but I feel safe - I wouldn't do it otherwise. I have a single CL at 650kg leaving just over a tonne 'spare'. It helps that I have ponies, I certainly wouldn't want to put anything over 550kg in and I avoid muddy fields. It does the job for now until I'm able to upgrade.
Muddy fields! I took Bailey to Milton Keynes eventing centre for the three day event three times. The parking was on fields. One year it was really lashing it down with rain and I decided to cut short the last day of SJ on grass and went home as I felt it was too slippy to risk jumping on.

I had the old Peugeot 406 at the time and had to tow the trailer over to the hardstanding whilst asking some random man if he would mind holding my horse and then run back to collect! There was no way I'd have been able to tow off the wet field with all my extra camping gear as well as Bailey in the back!