Mini heatwave

SO1

Visit site
It is going to be very hot down South the next few days 32 on Friday both myself and pony do not do well in hot weather.

Pony full clipped yesterday to try and help him not over heat. I am wfh but will go the office Thursday and Friday as we have aircon.

I was talking to YO yesterday and we think it is part of climate change and we are getting hotter summers. I think it is much harder managing horses in the hot weather than the cold weather.

Pony will have 3 pink mash sloppy soups a day to try and keep him hydrated as he is not a big drinker and will be sponged down. He does not have masses of shade in his field so will probably come in early and will be monitored during the day. He already has soaked hay to try and get fluids into him.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Absolutely climate change, the only people still questioning it are...erm...questionable. And it's part of the reason we're moving to Scotland and OH has given up on an old dream of moving to France. And we don't even have horses (though we do have an older black Great Dane who is suffering way more this summer).

dorsetladette

Visit site
God it's to warm already!

I think its becoming more regular that we have these really hot spells. Our field doesn't hold moisture due to being sandy soil. The grass is already going dry and crunchie as you walk on it. This happened in 2020 and I was feeding hay all summer. I really hope this doesn't happen again.

@sbloom my old black cob is struggling with the heat (and flies) already this year.

SEL

Visit site
I'm dreading Friday. My Appy doesn't sweat property and really struggles. The stables boil so out is best but there's parts of the day when the shade isn't great.

I'm sorting the electric fencing today so they can access the second shelter without accessing too much of the grass in that field.

Will be 17 degrees and raining on Sunday!

dorsetladette

Visit site
I'm dreading Friday. My Appy doesn't sweat property and really struggles. The stables boil so out is best but there's parts of the day when the shade isn't great.

I'm sorting the electric fencing today so they can access the second shelter without accessing too much of the grass in that field.

Will be 17 degrees and raining on Sunday!

YAY!!! for rain.

Mine will have all the fields opened up for the day as the current resting field has the best shade but water and the shelter (man made) are on the opposite field.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I'm lucky, mine will go out overnight and the field he's in has a shaded section. Daytime, stables are an indoor barn and relatively cool.

He's also a horse that doesn't seem to mind heat and works happily in it, tb but I think takes after long distant desert ancestors.

maisie06

Visit site
It's climate change alright and part of the reason I gave up horses, long wet soggy winters and boiling summers, hay prices through the roof and it was just getting miserable, The UK is not a very horse friendly place now, harder to find safe places to ride out and I hate schooling so sold up.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Half way through June and we haven't had a single day of proper sun here so far this year, and we are set to miss out on all the sunshine this week. I'm still wearing the same sort of clothing I wore all winter, and I still have a car full of wet weather gear for those "moments" when the heavens open and it pisses down. I'm in silage country, the boys are tearing their hair out because although yields are well up, the ground can't take the machinery. Much swearing and moaning when they bog a tractor and tip a trailer over.

We can't turn out in winter because the fields are too wet (and I mean seriously wet), and I spend the whole winter stressing about the lack of turnout. The horses are now standing up to their axles in muck and bog water, and I'm stressing about that and would actually like them to come onto some hard standing. But it's not my yard.

Me and the horses would quite like some of your good weather please.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'm well out the world of horses now but praying it goes away by Sunday (I hate the hot weather at the best of times)

I stupidly signed up to a race for life in a haze of pink gin and kalms in February (now I know why they say you shouldn't drink when taking them)

This was with the intention of having something to work towards and incentivise me to get my lardy backside into the gym

While I have made it to the gym most weekends I remain fat and unfit

I tried to do practice 3k at the weekend (race distance)

I managed 2k at a mix of walking and slow trot. I felt like I was about to die. The gym was hot.

Pray for me

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I'm well out the world of horses now but praying it goes away by Sunday (I hate the hot weather at the best of times)

I stupidly signed up to a race for life in a haze of pink gin and kalms in February (now I know why they say you shouldn't drink when taking them)

This was with the intention of having something to work towards and incentivise me to get my lardy backside into the gym

While I have made it to the gym most weekends I remain fat and unfit

I tried to do practice 3k at the weekend (race distance)

I managed 2k at a mix of walking and slow trot. I felt like I was about to die. The gym was hot.

Pray for me

It does look to be cooler by Sunday and I am sure you'll do great! I did a 10k once (I practiced quite a lot but am really not a strong runner at all) and the weather was unexpectedly hot, but the race atmosphere makes a lot of difference and will help you along. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you walk the whole thing, you're out there doing it! Good luck.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Same in Spain. Where my parents have their main home, it's been over 40 and even now at 7pm it's 37. Usually that heat is reserved for between middle of July and middle of August.

However they're on the coast for the summer where it's only high 20s

Ouch05

Visit site
I love the heat and the sun. To many tours overseas I guess, I don't change any of my plans still ride but just lots of walk and shorter sessions in the school.

Two years ago it was brilliant weather in May for the whole month. Last year it was OK this this first real heat this year and its June I want it to last more than a day or so. The boys just snooze in the sun, they have water and lay down when its at it's hottest.

I went for a short sharp sprint session outside at lunch time, I love running in the hot weather, so much nicer than the mud runs of the winter and I hate the cold and the mud and the rain