Mini Horse needs urgent operation...

fallenangel123

Visit site
I saw this this morning, it made me furious! It is a crippled dwarf, the only kind thing is to pts. Why do people keep breeding these deformed creatures just to say 'mine is smaller than yours!' Disgusting!!!

Gets down from soapbox

V1NN

Visit site
I posted on the other thread to, i agree with fallenangel its a disgrace. Poor little chap.

Tickles

Visit site
No comment on the op itself (I don;t know how successful they usually are). But I don't see why anyone should expect others to pay for their vet bills... if they can't afford it they shouldn't be breeding.

eggs

Visit site
All the posters above have expressed my thoughts when I saw this story earlier today.

I know if it was my homebred foal I would want to do everything possible but then I don't breed miniatures/falabellas as I disagree with this quest to make them as small as possible - it is only asking for problems.

Scary reading the comments though that have been posted on the Sun story page.

Heaven help us if all those people who think he is 'cute' and therefore want one were to all go out and start buying them thereby creating an even bigger demand for ponies with a high chance of birth defects.

Last edited:

kkjames

Visit site
Poor little pony! Why oh why do stupid people not just do the best thing and have the poor little creature pts?

rowan

Visit site
Poor little thing also has a deformed mouth according to our local paper. Sorry I think the kindest thing would be to PTS.

Part of the article in local paper.

About £1,600 has already been spent on vets' bills splinting Minxy's legs to help straighten them and wrapping them in bandages each day.

"His front legs have become a lot stronger but his back legs will need pinning. He needs a scan which costs £800 per leg plus around £4,000 to operate."

Standing at 17.6 inches his owner believes he could break the world record – beating the smallest pony recorded at 17.5 inches – once his splints have been removed.

"Minxy also has problems with his throat. His teeth are growing to the back of his mouth and could block his airway, so he will need an operation to fix that."

ThePony

Visit site
Poor little thing also has a deformed mouth according to our local paper. Sorry I think the kindest thing would be to PTS.

Part of the article in local paper.

About £1,600 has already been spent on vets' bills splinting Minxy's legs to help straighten them and wrapping them in bandages each day.

"His front legs have become a lot stronger but his back legs will need pinning. He needs a scan which costs £800 per leg plus around £4,000 to operate."

Standing at 17.6 inches his owner believes he could break the world record – beating the smallest pony recorded at 17.5 inches – once his splints have been removed.

"Minxy also has problems with his throat. His teeth are growing to the back of his mouth and could block his airway, so he will need an operation to fix that."

omg, poor poor little soul. How can this be considered humane? I would have thought that there was an onus on the vet to stand up and stop further sugery on the poor sod.

Ruth_Cymru

Visit site
Watching the link of him walking (or trying to!) was just heart wrenching, I couldn't watch it all. It's no life for him.

team barney

Visit site
I couldn't watch the footage, it is terrible to see the little love struggling like that. I know how hard it is to give up on them but I don't think I could justify putting the little soul through such horrendous surgery. I also think it is wrong to ask for donations like this, most of the cases are scammers, the money rarely goes to the pony it is donated for but straight into the crooked owners pockets (at least that is what happened in the case I distantly observed).

If the only reason the owners are keeping the poor foal going is for the sake of a world record they disgust me.

indie999

Visit site
I thought I was just being heartless at my first incling of why isnt it PTS,

oh poor little thing then I read that usually these little deformed ones are PTS so I did wonder why this one wasnt PTS as well? Sounds like a lot of ££ that could go to something else. Its also getting pressure sores I mean end its suffering...its got a lot more suffering to do if has any surgery(thats if it survives that too...not sure if its even successful).?

Personally its not kindness and the owner should definitely PTS she has made its suffering currently worse and prolonging its suffering. I did also think usually if it has one deformity it probably has others...?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
So basically, she wants other people to pay for her humungous vets' bills to treat a man-made error, a poor little thing that should never have been bred in the first place?
And not the first time I have seen such a story :(

Tormenta

Visit site
So, not just the problems with his legs but a neck deformity, palate, throat and breathing problems and who knows what else that hasn't yet been properly investigated that may come to light. Even with the leg operation he may still struggle to function properly. I can see the appeal and understand why she would want to try but personally I wouldn't unless his life prognosis is one of good quality with limited future problems and I can't see that happening :( Many animals will try to function with an injury or deformity as it is in them to try to survive, that doesn't make it ethically right to keep them alive.

ticobay831

Visit site
mmm just put up a post about him didnt see there was one already started, just seen the video and didnt realise just how many things hes got wrong with him, poor little mite has been through allot as well in his short little life., looks like he will be going through a great deal more as well, if they getbthe money together.
Nothing in life is ever straight foreward is it, hope he dosnt suffer too much and he is cute :)

glitterfuzz

Visit site

Tormenta

Visit site
Stupid, stupid owner. Why breed when you can't afford vets bills. Poor deformed dwarf, as cute as he looks I'm afraid he will be better off pts.

Take a look at this sick site...
http://www.minibreeders.com/horsieheaven/

Not a very long life expectancy for the majority on those pages is there? Which beggars belief why put them through so much in operations and treatments when the odds are stacked against them? It must be high risk giving them anaesthesia? But I am not an expert so can't say for certain.

Dovorian

Visit site
Disgusted - how can people think this is acceptable? Breeding in such awful deformities just to make a 'handbag' pony... publicity like this also makes me cringe. Is it just me or does this smell a bit?

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
Things like this really annoy me and make my blood boil. It is things like this that give miniature horses a bad name.

This is a DWARF. No amount of surgery will change that. it is a DWARF and will always be a DWARF!!!! It is NOT CUTE!!!! It is in PAIN and always will be.

Yes there are some dwarfs that are born and are not so severly disabled that they can live a "normal life" They will never be bred, they will never enter a show and they will never be ridden. END OF!!

Dwarfs happen, its a fact of life. More so in the miniatures and are not always as a result of indescriminate breeding. There are some famous miniatures that are out there that have bred dwarfs and in any responsible minitiare owners mind should never be bred again.

This dwarf will NEVER lead a normal life. It altready has too many disabilities to start with. no amount of surgery will help this little fella.

They say it might beat the world record for the smallest horse in the world, but its a DWARF!!!! ARGH!!!!!

Please DO NOT domnate to this cause, unless you want to donate to keeping a mini in severe pain for the rest of its life. Give it some dignity and PTS.

Queenbee87

Visit site
Maybe when they perform the operation they can shave a couple of cm from each leg so his position as the world's smallest horse is more secure??

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Disgusted - how can people think this is acceptable? Breeding in such awful deformities just to make a 'handbag' pony... publicity like this also makes me cringe. Is it just me or does this smell a bit?

The vet smells more than a bit; it is a disgusting thing to allow this to go on, money grabbing dirtbag. I'd only think more of them if they overdosed on sedation on purpose.

Janah

Visit site
Disgusted with the vet, the owner and the media with not laying out the true facts.

The poor thing was pictured on the news as some sort of lap pony!

Disgusted

Jane

Tinypony

Visit site
Things like this really annoy me and make my blood boil. It is things like this that give miniature horses a bad name.

This is a DWARF. No amount of surgery will change that. it is a DWARF and will always be a DWARF!!!! It is NOT CUTE!!!! It is in PAIN and always will be.

Yes there are some dwarfs that are born and are not so severly disabled that they can live a "normal life" They will never be bred, they will never enter a show and they will never be ridden. END OF!!

Dwarfs happen, its a fact of life. More so in the miniatures and are not always as a result of indescriminate breeding. There are some famous miniatures that are out there that have bred dwarfs and in any responsible minitiare owners mind should never be bred again.

This dwarf will NEVER lead a normal life. It altready has too many disabilities to start with. no amount of surgery will help this little fella.

They say it might beat the world record for the smallest horse in the world, but its a DWARF!!!! ARGH!!!!!

Please DO NOT domnate to this cause, unless you want to donate to keeping a mini in severe pain for the rest of its life. Give it some dignity and PTS.

Just had to agree with you!

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Poor little thing, I agree with everything previously said. I think the only people who would donate is people who think its cute and have no other knowledge of horses!! My mother called me cruel about an hour ago for saying it should be PTS :rolleyes: But this comes from the woman who thinks a horse with a broken leg can be fixed!!