Mini hunter trial - any advice? should i/shouldn't i?!

Twiglet

Visit site
I'm a nearly reformed total wimp, and have had my horse over two years now. He's an ex eventer, very reliable and honest to jump, but bloody fast! He's 16 yr old but fit and sound, and jumping occasionally in the school and fields.
Anyway, my confidence is probably at the best it's been, and I'm starting to want a little more experience - have seen a mini hunter trial advertised locally, and wondering whether it's worth a go?! It's 'around 2ft 3', which sounds small enough not to be too scary....

I know this is going to sound pathetic to all the eventers on here, just any words of wisdom would be appreciated on first time cross country comps!

It's not for another month, so in the meantime will be having practice sessions at home, and hopefully at local XC course, and lessons with my current trainer (also ex eventer).

siennamum

Visit site
I haven't any particular advice as it sounds like you're pretty well organised. Good luck though and well done, enjoy yourself, you'll be completely addicted.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I can recommed rescue remedy and to remember you can always trot!
Good luck I love hunter trial season!

Twiglet

Visit site
Oh I'd love to trot but don't think that's an option for my horse unfortunately!! He loves cross country with a passion, I think he'll be in his element seeing as he hasn't done much in a couple of years. Just keeping him to something resembling a canter will be the main aim of the day......

My trainer's offered to warm him up for me (potentially the scariest bit, as he gets incredibly stressed by other horses), so hopefully I'll just have to get on, point him at the jumps and shut my eyes.....

Right, a bucket of rescue remedy it'll be then.

Thanks!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
We have exactly the same horse!!

Finni's an ex eventer who luurrves XC.

I agree with you trot would be lovely....if you can get out of gallop. Finn's favourite game (if i let him go for it) is to take fliers at every jump and give all the jumps 2ft of room. Lovely, if you like that kind of thing!

I too have entered a small ODE in September. Am kaking self.

Anyway, go for it. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Try not to hold him too much - he knows what he's doing - and sit up!

Let us know how you get on.

Tori XX

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and I forgot.

I read recently that you should fix your eyes/mind on a point you want to get to (finish line) and remember that anything (the jumps) are just in your way!

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Mine puts in dirty stops. If I look at the jump, there's a higher chance he will. If I look at the end of the field and think we're going over there, just have to jump those on our way, then he's only ever refused once. It's all about looking up and over the jump, making your seat lighter, therefore easier for the horse. Rather than looking down, riding the horse into the ground.

Good luck!
grin.gif

Twiglet

Visit site
Finn, have just seen you're in Essex too - which ODE are you doing?
Wherever it is, you'll probably look quite similar to me - doing about 4ft over the smallest jumps on the course, at a speed that wouldn't be out of place at Aintree!!
Don't like to speak to soon, but he's not really a dirty stop kind of horse - that would get in the way of him flying over solid objects really really fast.....

I've got to remember not to haul on his mouth - I always ride him in a happy mouth snaffle, might up to it a french link for a semblance of control. He's not incredibly strong, just really flat and speedy. Ironically, it's taken me two years to get his flatwork to stop looking like he's going round a cross country course, and now I'm going to be asking him to do it!!

Twiglet

Visit site
Oh, and another question - do I have to wear long boots for this, or can it be smart short boots and chaps? Feel so much more comfortable than in long boots, and need all the help i can get!!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I am in Upminster but ODE is a Tunbridge Wells RC total novice class...2ft. How embarrassing on an intermediate eventer.

Finn isn't a stop merchant either, but he can run out if you don't tell him to do the jump, esp. fillers. Which means being confident. Mmmm not good when you're just hoping to get round!

Have you been to Shopland Hall, or is that where you are going?

I did the 1ft 9 (!) there in the spring. HT was fine but when I went back for the eventer trial Finni knew what we were up to and I lost all control and missed the last jump.

Luckily his flatwork is amazing, but I have changed to a waterford for jumping to try and stop him leaning on me. Is better SJ but haven't really tried it out XC yet.

You can were either long boots or boots and chaps for HT. Certainly, I've worn chaps before.

Twiglet

Visit site
I'm in Upminster too!! Well, I live in Upminster, but horse is stabled in South Weald down the road. Small world!

It's only the Ramsden mini hunter trial I'm doing, not too far away.

I haven't been to Shopland before but would like to do the farm ride there if I ever get round to it. 1ft 9 sounds far preferable, although I find the smaller they are, the more likely he is to belt over them.....

Finn sounds lovely, sure you'll be fine!

I've been trying to tell myself I should be grateful to have such a talented horse to teach me the ropes - not doing the trick though, I keep seeing air ambulances and high speed falls going through my head!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
The Shopland 1ft 9 is ok but really designed for ponies as the jumps are a bit on top of each other (all 9 of them!) which means some trixie turning after the 6th jump to do the double 7 a b.

The 2ft 6 is actually 2ft 3 ish and a lot more spread out but I haven't plucked up the courage to do it yet.

Wow what a small world. Finni's at Hacton Park Corner Farm. The hacking's a bit poo. I imagine South Weald is lovely. Am hoping to take him to the park there for a hack in the next couple of weeks.

Is lovely to have a talented horse! Just also a bit scary!

Twiglet

Visit site
Yes, was doing the one in Sept at Ramsden itself. They've postponed the Downhouse one because the ground's too hard.

South Weald is lovely hacking, means I've had to compromise a bit on what I want from a yard, but it's worth it to have that on the doorstep.
The journey's not too bad, although it would be nice to just be in Upminster, I can imagine!

If you go to South Weald, park in the Weald Road car park beside the cricket ground, and it takes you straight on the '86 acres' (all hackable, lots of tracks), and through on to the bridlepaths in the rest of the park.
Make sure to go up the steps (Finn will like these!) as you can get to small heathland at the top, and it's normally cooler with a nice breeze and some pleasant canter tracks.
If you can get to the visitor centre beforehand, they often do maps that show the bridle paths.

Have fun, look out for a bay tb type and it may well be Ziggy with me on board!

Twiglet

Visit site
They're great fun - took about two months of hacking Ziggy over there for him to realise that they're NOT the start of a cross country course, and we DON'T have to take them at a flying canter!

It's a very fittening hacking place - no flat land, all hills and tracks. The gallops at the far end of the bridlepaths are good, although the ground's not in a great state at the moment. There's plenty of logs etc to jump too!

Be warned, there are cows grazed over there (in the 86 acres) - they're very laid back though, we've galloped through them and they haven't blinked an eye.
Also, there's lots of deer which ocassionally jump out on tracks etc - although much less so in the summer but just something to be aware of if you hear lots of crashing in the undergrowth!

Have you taken him to Thorndon yet? That's another fab hack, with one hell of a great canter strip, very uphill!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Sounds really good.

Haven't really been out exploring yet. Is really hard moving somewhere new! Just don't have a clue where anything is!

Where's Thorndon? sounds familiar. Is it near Hobbs X?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id say just try to enjoy it. No pressure, just trundle round popping each fence one at a time. Dont try going hell for leather round it! Although at the same time, your boy might go into eventer mode, in which case it'd probably be easier to let him go faster round it - try not to be pulling him all the time just aim to get in a good rythm which you can jump the fences out of. Im sure you'll have loads of fun, just try to treat it as another pratice!!

Twiglet

Visit site
No, Thorndon's in Brentwood. 1200 acre country park, the majority of it open to riders. Well maintained tracks, well signposted, lots of variety - would highly recommend it.
Wouldn't take more than 10/15 mins in a box or trailer from where you are and sooooo worth it!

Have you been to Belhus yet? That must be the nearest hacking for you......although means going along the horribly busy road to get there. Think it's meant to be quite nice but has rock hard ground like everywhere else at the moment.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Belhus is on the way to Aveley isn't it? I drive past it to get to work, but like you say it's down that horrible road. I guess I could prob. take the truck there?

Thorndon sounds great too. I think I'm going off to do much exploring this winter!

Twiglet

Visit site
Definitely, there's actually loads of good hacking within driveable distance, as you've got transport. Off the top of my head:
South Weald
Thorndon
Epping
Castlepoint
Fryerning/Highwood/Ingatestone
Shoeburyness East Beach

Not to mention all the cross country courses which are open for hire and offer plenty of off road hacking (Furness Farm at Margeretting has 6 miles hilly hacking and over 50 jumps - Berwick Farm near Ongar has even more I believe).

Twiglet

Visit site
Thanks for the advice Magic Melon. I actually tried him in a French Link this weekend - he's normally in a Happy Mouth snaffle - and I found I had far more control. We were coming into the practice jumps with a decent rhythm without rushing and getting flat.
Am surprised to hear myself say it, but am actually looking forward to it!!!
Have persuaded OH to build me some more practice jumps as well, result!