Mini Rant :} About riding school riders and novices.. Just to point out..

SamanthaUK

Visit site
willy_nilly.gif

this is just me all over :D

Alfie&Milo

Visit site
Sorry if i'm referring to a different post but I thought the ranting was more of a 'novices trying horses when advert clearly states experienced rider needed' :D about the waste of time it is and how dangerous it can be when a novice rider says they're experienced for the ride!

SamanthaUK

Visit site
Sorry if i'm referring to a different post but I thought the ranting was more of a 'novices trying horses when advert clearly states experienced rider needed' :D about the waste of time it is and how dangerous it can be when a novice rider says they're experienced for the ride!

You're probably right. Even I don't know what I was talking about. I'm such a spoon sometimes! :rolleyes:

Kat

Visit site
Love this thread, opened it up and thought "oh yawn a thread moaning about a thread that didn't even get heated" but actually all the spelling and smilies has made me :D

hol089

Visit site
I rode in a riding school for eight years as a kid I'm now 22 and finally in the position to buy a horse, but really didn't have the confidence to go straight into a loan or similar first so decided to take lessons again. On my first lesson the horse I was on was up for sale/loan with view to buy, I spoke to the instructor and she said go for it and I arranged a three month trial with the owner. I've had him nearly three months and definitely want to buy him, he's 18 (still more than happy to go for a gallop!) and perfect for me plus he's on schooling livery (lives out) and is checked by the YO, wormed, she sorts out farrier and is there if the vet has to visit etc. I think if a novice buys a suitable horse and is keeping it somewhere with lots of support then there's nothing wrong with that. My horse is happy and well looked after :)

goodtimes

Visit site
I bought a riding school horse some years ago as I was paying a fortune for lessons every week, so thought I would buy one instead. Turns out he was the making of me as a rider.

But I soon realised I couldn't ride. I could kick and go and pull and stop, turn with the inside rein! And hang on to jump.

My trainer said to me when I brought him home, 'Everything they taught you at riding school...forget it. Now you will learn to ride.'

Very true she was too.

Sadley I lost my lovely horse back in July due to arthritis - years and years and years of going round and round and round in circles did nothing for his joints.

nona1

Visit site
I think it really depends on the riding school and on the rider whether the first horse should be a real 'first horse' type or not. You can't generalise.

I also think that horse owners can be a bit up themselves and think they know more than they really do. I got a pony when I was 14 and found that I knew loads more than the kids who'd had their own ponies from when they were young. They were only really able to ride their own ponies as they'd not had much experience on riding different types, and they didn't know much in the way of horse care either, whereas I'd spent 8 years soaking up every book I could lay my hands on, riding anything with 4 legs that came my way, and so on. None of them were able to ride my hot little half Arab without coming a cropper or upsetting him.

SamanthaUK

Visit site
Love this thread, opened it up and thought "oh yawn a thread moaning about a thread that didn't even get heated" but actually all the spelling and smilies has made me :D

I was getting completely 'owned' as the young un's say it. So I decided, Well why be laughed at when I can make a joke out of it. :D And then I realised how bad I was at spelling! :L

Flicker

Visit site
I was totally over-horses when I was given a mare after getting back into riding after about 15 years. Looking back, I would never have taken her on if I had known just how inexperienced I actually was! However, the horse lived the life of Riley at my livery yard because everyone around me helped so much and gave such brilliant advice. I had a weekly riding lesson and gradually got to grips with the little devil! My new horse is so much easier than she had ever been, and I get so much more out of him because of what she taught me.
At the end of the day, the only one that suffered from me taking on something more than I could handle was me, getting chucked in the dirt, stood on, poohed on, bitten, run away with, etc etc. made me a better rider and owner though...