mini rant.... sorry

keri66

Visit site
Ok so I allow someone to ride my horse.
She is a nice rider but had been out of the saddle for a little while and wanted to start again.
She loves the horse and comes along once or twice a week, never misses coming.
I don't ask her to do anything she contributes nothing financially.
But today when I went to check my horse I found she had chopped her tail.
Really short. I'm talking just above her hocks.
My horse is an Arab, she looks rediculous .
When I saw it I was really cross. Well fuming. I know she was trying to help. But who chops an Arabs tail off. And who does that to someone else's horse without asking.
It's not that she has chopped her hair off. Hair grows. It will be ok for next year.
It's more the fact she did it without asking
Please tell me I am hormonal and over reacting. Please help me see the funny side because at the moment I'm having difficulty doing it
Thanks for reading my rant

Orson Cart

Visit site
I'm afraid I'm unable to help you find the funny side - I would be absolutely blooming livid! It is not her horse to fiddle about with like that - things like that should only be done once permission has been gained from the owner. As you seem to be happy with everything else the girl does, I would approach the topic with her in a friendly manner but i would let her know in no uncertain terms that doing anything with your horse outside of your pre-arranged riding agreement requires your specific permission.

keri66

Visit site
I have already done that.
But I still feel really cross.
I thought maybe I was over reacting. Thanks I feel better knowing I'm not ☺
I know she thought she was helping .Lu's tail was long, an inch or 2 maybe I could have coped with but she has taken about 7 or 8 inches off

Last edited:

Orson Cart

Visit site
Nope, definitely not over reacting! My elderly aunt, who now shows natives, won't even let anyone brush her horses manes and tails. If anyone chopped a bit off them she would absolutely lynch them! chuckle.

keri66

Visit site
Thanks guys.
I know hair grows and I know she didn’t do it maliciously.
But still over stepping the mark
She doesn't have to contribute financially or do anything I don't want or expect her to

Last edited:

keri66

Visit site
Orson Cat had she been there I may have taken the same action as your aunt lol
I'm really not exaggerating she has lopped off 7 or 8 inches

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Both of my arabs have tails that touch the ground (when their tails are down, which isn't that often) and I probably would go into shock if I went to see them and their tails were cut above their hocks.

However it's done now. All you can do is calmly talk to her and explain that you don't want her trimming the horse at all. Maybe she doesn't know that traditionally arabs are meant to have long manes and tails? Imagine if next time she has a go at the mane! :(

keri66

Visit site
I did calmly message and point out that Arabs are meant to have long flowing manes and tails. And that I would appreciate it if she did not cut bits off with out asking .
I know hair grows but it was such a shock.
It's just the principle of doing something like that without asking.
My poor horse looks rediculous
Seriously if she goes for the mane I may have to beat her about the head. ☺

Last edited:

keri66

Visit site
My new baby horse comes Thursday I have been waiting 6 months for her she is a traditional vanner.
I expect I will find her with her feathers shaved off lol
Thanks everyone I'm actually starting to chill out a bit😆

Enfys

Visit site
I feel your pain and I greatly admire your restraint because if someone DARED to trim my horses I would totally lose the plot. I have had Arabians for decades and know how daft they look with short tails (our fields were clay, I used to tie their tails up when they went out - they looked ridiculous!) Perhaps your lady only meant to trim the tail a little and didn't realise quite how high your horse carries it. Logically we know it is only hair, and that it will grow back - but even so ... not on.

I have horses on lease to riding stables, one morgan and a quarterhorse, they both have really long manes and tails, I actually wrote it into the contract that whilst they are still my property, manes and tails are not to be shortened or thinned except for bridle path trims (and I had to state maximum 3") and tails not cut above the fetlock, or pulled, razored or thinned in any way.

Do you have a written contract or is this purely a verbal agreement? Perhaps putting everything on paper would clarify matters for you both.

tubby1

Visit site
Oh Dear, I would be annoyed as well but I'm sure she thought she was doing you a favour. If she is a nice sharer and looks after your horse in every other way I would put this one down to experience.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
What a shock...it sounds as if you have been quite calm and "grown up" about it. Sadly I think I would have reacted instinctively and lost the plot a bit and let myself down. Definitely make it clear no more scissor action...riding only and I hope tail grows quickly.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would need sedation .
A few years a ago one of my grooms cut the tail of my ASB, they are kept with very very long tails and I like all my horses tails long .
We still laugh about my reaction I was rendered speechless with horror.
But it's not the end of the world it will grow ( something like feeding the forage plus hoof supplement will speed hair growth ).
Just make it clear no unauthorised hair cutting in the future .

Antw23uk

Visit site
My sharer very kindly trimmed the top of my boys tail the other day as I'd mentioned it needed doing (was going to be done by head groom) ...... it looks like someone has attacked a bog brush with a pair of scissors!!!!!!!!!! I think had she been standing next to me I would have cut all her hair off as pay back. For a man I am not ashamed to admit I screamed like a women when I saw it :(

Tash88

Visit site
So what was her response to your message? I can't believe she did that to a horse that she doesn't own without even consulting you beforehand.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'd be mad too, your reaction is quite understandable. What on earth was the woman thinking ?
Someone remarked the other day that my traditional cob needed his tail and feathers trimming as they sweep the ground. Obviously never heard of one of the most famous traditionals who was called The Roadsweeper precisely because of this.
Arabs and traditional cobs are meant to have long hair. Your sharer needs educating.

Pigeon

Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, I attacked my horse's mane with scissors the other day, and he looks hilarious, and I have no-one to blame but myself!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It's not life or death, nobody died, but it's very rude of someone who is being offered the use of someone's horse to do. Even if they thought they were doing a favour it would have been polite to ask first. So yes, you are right to be upset, and in your shoes I wouldn't be inviting her back unsupervised.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
My old sharer commented on Facebook to a friend that my Haflinger's mane needed a "tidy up" and that she was going to trim it!! I got straight on the phone and screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Told her a) Never to cut a mane! It ends up looking terrible and b) My Haffies mane is her crowning glory! Terrified to think what would have happened if I hadnt seen the Facebook comment. Would she have just gone ahead!?

So I completely feel your pain. Seems to be happening a lot recently!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well, I would go mental, but then I also have horses which have very long, full manes and tails (PRE's and a Friesian). I do have more than one horsey friend who admits to itching for the scissors whenever they see mine, 'tho. Of course they all realise the danger to their persons if they ever succumbed to the urge.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, I attacked my horse's mane with scissors the other day, and he looks hilarious, and I have no-one to blame but myself!

Ha I did this the night before a show using the stressed logic that I could then pull the ends and make it look like I hadn't lopped a good 3 inches off it. Needless to say that plan didn't work but fortunately it didn't look too obviously hacked once I'd plaited it.

WelshD

Visit site
What a shock...it sounds as if you have been quite calm and "grown up" about it.

I also think you had a good attitude towards the situation but just hope that the lady isn't a member on here as if it was me I would be mortified that I had upset you so much that you needed a rant in public, I think I would take it a bit to heart that you hadn't just had a quiet word

Capriole

Visit site
If she is a member maybe it will make her think if she gets itchy scissor fingers again, to ask before she takes it upon her self to get chopping.

OP, I don't think you're over-reacting. I do think the comments about 'if this is worst you've got to worry about' are complete swollocks though. Since when does a post have to be about the worst or most important thing going on in someones life? Can people not just vent anymore without comments like that?

OP, my OH got scissor happy this weekend, despite me saying don't take the scissors to those manes. I was irritated because I had said I'd pull them, it's just going to take me a bit longer as I'm balancing on crutches, but he 'took the ends off' as he called it, which just makes it that bit harder to pull.

Lunchbox legend

Visit site
!!!??? What goes on in some people's heads?

I'd been sharing a lovely horse for the last year with the longest, thickest mane and tail. His tail could take absolutely ages to do but I'd never, ever have taken a pair of scissors to it or pulled it without asking his owner. Unthinkable. My sister wants to trim the white fluffy fur off the end of my dog's tail and I've told her in no uncertain terms, I'll cut her hair off if she does :p. Mostly joking but... :p . If it ain't yours - you don't touch it :)

Glad you're beginning to chill a bit now and hope it all goes more smoothly :)

LittleMonster

Visit site
Never ever ever dream of cutting K's hair he isn't mine, however i do trim his bridle path as its uncomfortable for him and i have always told the owners i have cut that bit and they have always said thank you and it was fine but never dared even think of chopping anything else!

sasquatch

Visit site
Happened to me recently, mum went behind my back and hacked at my horses forelock and tail.
He has a full mane to his shoulder, and forelock unevenly cut above his eyes. Absolute mess and I was very angry and made sure she was aware if she ever did it again she would not be allowed near the horse.

It wasn't the cutting of hair that annoyed me, hair grows back, it was because she knew I didn't want it to be done and got scissor happy without my permission!

As long as rider/sharer knows in future they ask before they trim, or they just leave it up to you, you'll be fine. I can completely understand that the trust between you and sharer isn't going to be quite the same now though.